advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
What's the wiggle room on tire sizes?
Posted by: Acer
Date: October 11, 2016 07:57AM
I currently have 205/65/R15 installed. Can I put any kind of 15" on there (not considering performance, style, etc., just sizing)? I'm ask because I had a little trouble finding good deals at my favorite local retailer in the exact size I currently have. Size flexibility would open up the options.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: What's the wiggle room on tire sizes?
Posted by: OWC Jamie
Date: October 11, 2016 08:04AM
Why worry about buying at a local retailer. Odds are they're ordering them from the same warehouse these guys get them at. I'm all for local but you can also bring in the price and tell them why you're not giving them the order for the tires, see if they will match. More than once I've had them look at the price and beat it.

TireRack

DiscountTireDirect

I've bought from both, just find your best deal and have them delivered to your shop for install. Usually it's $20 or so for mounting & balancing, and depending on where you're at there's a disposal fee for tires (it's $5 in my area, or my local township has tire recycling for free so I just took them home and disposed of there).

Your size is very common.

Good Luck!
Jamie Dresser
Other World Computing

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/11/2016 08:06AM by OWC Jamie.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: October 11, 2016 08:09AM
OWC Jamie
... Usually it's $20 or so for mounting & balancing ....

per tire, in my experience
Date: October 11, 2016 08:13AM
What vehicle?

I've had good luck calling up local places, asking for (and getting) a buy 3, get one free deal. Or the equivalent savings. Coupons and rebates are also common.

Also, shop online for local retailers. If all you do is walk in or call, they'll make a quick recommendation without you seeing all they can offer. Most tires not in stock take 1 day to get.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: October 11, 2016 08:18AM
Need the car year, model, and all options that might affect tire size.

It depends on the car. 4WD/AWD need to have the same size, along with the same general tread depth. FWD/RWD can have different sizes on front/rear but they need to be the same size on the same axle. If you are replacing all the tires AND you have room in the fender, you can usually increase the width by one size and decrease the profile by 5% (might change speedometer calibration by a few percent). You can also go up one inch tire size (larger rims), keep the same width, and decrease the profile by 10% (usually called +1/plus 1).

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: October 11, 2016 08:23AM
[tiresize.com]
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: October 11, 2016 08:55AM
As Filliam wrote, AWD and the type of AWD will affect your decision, usually only in the sense that all need to be uniform size and model.

The biggest consideration outside of that is load rating. A thinner sidewall may have less load capability.
Posted by: OWC Jamie
Date: October 11, 2016 09:17AM
deckeda
OWC Jamie
... Usually it's $20 or so for mounting & balancing ....

per tire, in my experience

Sorry, absolutely correct, too early in the morning ;)

Good Luck!
Jamie Dresser
Other World Computing
Posted by: Acer
Date: October 11, 2016 09:40AM
Thanks.

Some details:

2000 Camry FWD. Boring as can be. This is the teen's car and won't be putting on many miles. Suburban driving. So, I really have no particular needs in performance or even tread life, though I always seek good all-weather traction ratings. Cost is the overriding factor (after traction.)
I will be replacing all the tires at the same time. I am not interested in buying new rims.

Yes, I can call around or look online. There's just a strong convenience factor with the retailer I am considering. I was checking inventory online, and the retailer's best deals were OOS for my exact current size.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/11/2016 09:44AM by Acer.
Date: October 11, 2016 09:53AM
Yeah but call and see how long it would take to get the OOS, BIS (back in stock).

Or, your alternatives appear to be:

1) Different local dealer
2) Online
3) Craigslist (used)!
Posted by: davester
Date: October 11, 2016 10:14AM
The range of tires that will fit your car are in the owners manual. Typically there are about two to three sizes that will work without issues.

My local retailers almost never have anything in stock to fit my car. That's just situation normal these days. I usually decide on a couple of different tire options by perusing tire rack pricing and reviews, then ask the local retailer for an out-the-door quote. I make them aware that I'm comparing them to tire rack and that If they come close on the price and can have the tires available within a week I'll buy from them. Always works for me. I'm perfectly happy to pay a (small) premium to have a single source for installation, warranty, service.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: October 11, 2016 10:38AM
You can go with 215/60-15 but because of the slightly smaller diameter (25.2" versus 25.5" for 205/65-15) the speedometer will read about 2% higher than your actual speed. This size has slightly lower weight rating, taking the possible GVWR rating down from 6800 lbs to 5900 lbs (the lower number represents the car with almost 3000 lbs of people/luggage).

Edit: 205/65-15 has 45 matches at TireRack, 215/60-15 has 21 matches.

In tha 360. MRF User Map

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/11/2016 10:54AM by Filliam H. Muffman.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: October 11, 2016 02:28PM
Take care of issues as Fillman & Jamie noted. On a 2000 Camry, your tire size limitations are also gonna be constrained by wheel well clearances, and brake rating. Mucking w/ suspension and brake components may give you more wiggle room and open up more sizes, but w/ 66 matches at Tire Rack, you oughta be able to find something that works w/in the budget. Good luck.
==
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 86
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020