advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
We all have a prime... Dustin Hoffman's
Posted by: vision63
Date: October 11, 2016 12:55PM
I was having a discussion with a friend. I mentioned that Dustin Hoffman's movie "Marathon Man" was going away from Netflix at the end of October and she might want to catch it. I've seen it probably 30+ times in my lifetime. Not much in the last 20 years though. She mentioned that she's not crazy about Dustin Hoffman which I guess if fair if you only consider his recent work.

I was aghast (which I kept to myself) since I only view Dustin as he relates to his finest work. A collection of films which represent his prime working period. She had never even seen "Marathon Man," which was surprise to me. I always assume everybody does what I do. Well, I'll be.

Dustin had a hell of a prime.

The Graduate
Little Big Man
Lenny
All The President's Men (John Schlesinger)
Marathon Man (John Schlesinger)
Midnight Cowboy (John Schlesinger)
Straight Time (love this movie. M Emmet Walsh and Kathy Bates are great in it too)
Agatha
Kramer Vs. Kramer (The great Robert Benton)
Tootsie (The late great Sydney Pollack)

This prime holds up agains anybody's in my opinion.

[en.wikipedia.org]

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: We all have a prime... Dustin Hoffman's
Posted by: numbered
Date: October 11, 2016 12:59PM
Rain Man?
Date: October 11, 2016 01:02PM
numbered
Rain Man?

He was fine in that movie but it was beyond his prime period to me. It was a Tom Cruise vehicle.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: October 11, 2016 01:15PM
Don't forget Madigan's Millions - 1968 grinning smiley
[www.imdb.com]

But seriously...
Straw Dogs - 1971 - Sam Peckinpah
Papillon - 1973 - Franklin Schaffner
Posted by: August West
Date: October 11, 2016 01:19PM
No Ishtar? dunno smiley

“There comes a point where we need to stop just pulling people out of the river. We need to go upstream and find out why they’re falling in."
Date: October 11, 2016 01:21PM
DeusxMac
[www.imdb.com]

But seriously...

My bad. I just didn't remember those absolute gems. Even greater. Madigan's Millions was that kind freaky movie they made back then. I think it was made earlier than the time it was released.
Posted by: davester
Date: October 11, 2016 03:34PM
A great set of movies. I've seen all numerous times except for Straight Time and Agatha...now added to my vision63-recommended Netflix list.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: hal
Date: October 11, 2016 03:46PM
vision63
DeusxMac
[www.imdb.com]

But seriously...

My bad. I just didn't remember those absolute gems. Even greater. Madigan's Millions was that kind freaky movie they made back then. I think it was made earlier than the time it was released.

This only proves your point - he has so many outstanding films that it's even easy to forget a few absolute classics. Anyone who doesn't consider Hoffman as one of the greats just doesn't know much about film. Hell he was great in Outbreak and I heart Huckabees - the movies weren't much, but HE was great in them. Also Wag the Dog...

The guy is a master and a very humble guy by hollywood standards - should be on a short list of the greats of all time.
Posted by: DP
Date: October 11, 2016 04:26PM
It was a Tom Cruise vehicle.

Disagree. Disagree. Disagree! Hoffman more than held his own and I thought they worked very well together...
Tho this movie was, well, OK, he played a great villain in Hook.

A little break from the grief...

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Date: October 11, 2016 04:51PM
DP
It was a Tom Cruise vehicle.

Disagree. Disagree. Disagree! Hoffman more than held his own and I thought they worked very well together...
Tho this movie was, well, OK, he played a great villain in Hook.

I'm not disagreeing. Dustin killed in Rain Man (a movie I enjoyed but could only watch once). He continues to be a great actor. It was a movie that was developed as a starrer "for" Tom Cruise. Dustin was a key piece that probably sealed the deal for Cruise. I never did see Hook.
Posted by: DP
Date: October 11, 2016 04:59PM
It's Spielberg's version of Peter Pan with Robin Williams as Peter and Hoffman as Captain Hook. You'll probably only watch that once too, sorry to say...

A little break from the grief...

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Date: October 11, 2016 05:09PM
DP
It's Spielberg's version of Peter Pan with Robin Williams as Peter and Hoffman as Captain Hook. You'll probably only watch that once too, sorry to say...

I know that the generation that enjoyed that film revere it to this day. It's a touchstone to them.
Posted by: hal
Date: October 11, 2016 06:04PM
Peter Pan was dreadful, but again, Hoffman was great!
Posted by: rgG
Date: October 11, 2016 06:06PM
I loved Little Big Man

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: October 11, 2016 07:08PM
hal
Peter Pan Hook was dreadful, but again, Hoffman was great!

FTFY

[www.imdb.com]
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: October 11, 2016 09:23PM
He was deadpan funny in The Fokkers.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: October 11, 2016 10:52PM
He's my favorite actor of my generation.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: October 11, 2016 11:30PM
vision63
numbered
Rain Man?

He was fine in that movie but it was beyond his prime period to me. It was a Tom Cruise vehicle.

Cruise wasn't the one who took the Oscar home for that film.

It is what it is.
Date: October 12, 2016 12:50AM
N-OS X-tasy!
vision63
numbered
Rain Man?

That's very true. Jessica Lange took took home the Oscar for Tootsie, but it was very much a Hoffman film. Cruise was the hot entity at that time. Dustin was the past his prime veteran with the chops.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: October 12, 2016 01:21AM
vision63
N-OS X-tasy!
vision63
numbered
Rain Man?

That's very true. Jessica Lange took took home the Oscar for Tootsie, but it was very much a Hoffman film. Cruise was the hot entity at that time. Dustin was the past his prime veteran with the chops.

I was going to make the observation that Hoffman's character was the title character in both films, but that is not accurate. The irony about Rain Man is that most people believe Hoffman's disabled character is the Rain Man, but the actual Rain Man is Cruise's character.

It is what it is.
Date: October 12, 2016 01:30AM
N-OS X-tasy!
vision63
N-OS X-tasy!
vision63
numbered
Rain Man?

I was going to make the observation that Hoffman's character was the title character in both films, but that is not accurate. The irony about Rain Man is that most people believe Hoffman's disabled character is the Rain Man, but the actual Rain Man is Cruise's character.

That's right. Raymond was the one with the primary objective that had all of the hurdles thrown at him. It wasn't all that different than the plot of Robert De Niro's "Midnight Run." Buddy movies turned on their sides.
Posted by: A-Polly
Date: October 12, 2016 07:53AM
Dustin Hoffman has a tremendous body of work! I haven't watched many of those for movies for years, and somehow missed Madigan's Millions.

However, I will always love Hook for the memories of watching it with my kids. My son can still recite some of Captain Hoffman-Hook's lines and sound just like him!
Posted by: Buck
Date: October 12, 2016 01:59PM
You forgot Wag The Dog! Great movie.

My favs are Rain Man and Papillon
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: October 12, 2016 03:21PM
.....so he is the new.....'Hoff'.......???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: wave rider
Date: October 12, 2016 04:43PM
rgG
I loved Little Big Man

Me too!

Marathon Man fed into my fear of dentists. The air hissing past his teeth... <Shudder>

I am not an anti-dentite though.

=wr=
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 104
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020