Who would have thought? Dylan Prize winner
Posted by: samintx
Date: October 13, 2016 07:44AM
[www.nytimes.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Who would have thought? Dylan Prize winner
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: October 13, 2016 08:28AM
That IS amazing. Kind of a 'lifetime achievement award' for America's Lyrical Poet.
Posted by: pdq
Date: October 13, 2016 09:17AM
I just saw him (well, heard him) at Desert Trip!

As we all know, he didn't win for the quality of his singing voice...
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: October 13, 2016 10:53AM
pdq
I just saw him (well, heard him) at Desert Trip!

As we all know, he didn't win for the quality of his singing voice...

Well, it is a literature award.....

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: freeradical
Date: October 13, 2016 10:57AM
What would Andy Warhol think of this?
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: October 13, 2016 12:37PM
Don't think twice, it's alright.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: October 13, 2016 04:42PM
Well deserved.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: October 13, 2016 08:59PM
Never been a big Dylan fan, so this article in the NYT caught my eye. I agree with it.

"Bob Dylan does not deserve the Nobel Prize in Literature.

"He does deserve the many Grammys he has received, including a lifetime achievement award, which he won in 1991. He unquestionably belongs in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, into which he was inducted in 1988 along with the Supremes, the Beatles and the Beach Boys. He is a wonderful musician, a world-class songwriter and an enormously influential figure in American culture.

But by awarding the prize to him, the Nobel committee is choosing not to award it to a writer, and that is a disappointing choice."

"...awarding the Nobel to a novelist or a poet is a way of affirming that fiction and poetry still matter, that they are crucial human endeavors worthy of international recognition."

[www.nytimes.com]
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: October 13, 2016 09:49PM
DeusxMac
Never been a big Dylan fan, so this article in the NYT caught my eye. I agree with it.

See you in a 100 years, sucker.
Posted by: blooz
Date: October 13, 2016 10:11PM
DeusxMac

"He does deserve the many Grammys he has received, including a lifetime achievement award, which he won in 1991. He unquestionably belongs in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, into which he was inducted in 1988 along with the Supremes, the Beatles and the Beach Boys. He is a wonderful musician, a world-class songwriter and an enormously influential figure in American culture.

But by awarding the prize to him, the Nobel committee is choosing not to award it to a writer, and that is a disappointing choice."

"...awarding the Nobel to a novelist or a poet is a way of affirming that fiction and poetry still matter, that they are crucial human endeavors worthy of international recognition."

[www.nytimes.com]

Bob Dylan wrote a lot of the soundtrack for the civil rights and anti-war movement of the sixties. And somehow he managed to write about the things that I and others my age were thinking and worrying about.

Blowing in the wind. Hard rains gonna fall, Talkin' WWIII blues, Times they are a changin', "lonesome death of Hattie Carroll", "Oxford Town."

Maybe you had to be there. He supplied a large part of the soundtrack for the civil rights and anti-Vietnamn war movement, even if he didn't mean to. He denied being "the voice of a generation" but he really was.
His "it's alright ma (I'm only bleeding)" from Blonde on Blonde so perfectly encapsulated what I was going through as a young man defiining myself, as a protester against the Vietnam war, and a supporter of civil rights, and some one who was different from my parents.
I wasn't the only one to feel this way.
No one else before or since has managed to be a voice for what his peers were actually feeling and acting upon.
Congratulations Bob!

And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once.
—Friedrich Nietzsche
Western Massachusetts
Posted by: Speedy
Date: October 14, 2016 06:03AM
blood, well said, thanks.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: October 14, 2016 02:36PM
He wrote poetry as good or better than anyone else, PLUS, he added music to it. He deserves it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 136
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020