The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
[RANT] Three driving pet peeves of the day
Posted by: Robert M
Date: October 13, 2016 09:45AM
[RANT] Three driving pet peeves of the day

Hi everyone,

I had to deal with an overwhelming number of obnoxious drivers today. So many, that I need to rant about them. Here goes:

1. Drivers who don’t maintain their lane.

Seriously. A slew of drivers kept riding the line and drifting over the line into my lane, sometimes when my vehicle was adjacent to their vehicle. I was nearly sideswiped multiple times. A light honk kept all but one driver at bay. I understand the occasional lane drift. It happens. But, it seems like today a large number of people simply weren’t paying attention to where they were on the road. One driver in particular ignored the toots and kept doing it. I’d’ve moved over to get away from him but there was too much traffic. Fortunately, he finally turned off the main road to a side street.

2. Drivers who don’t wait until traffic is clear to make a left turn from a side street. This happened twice today, both times on four lane north-south road. The first time, I was traveling southbound. No traffic. Lots of traffic heading northbound. A driver on an east-west side street attempted to make a left turn to go northbound. There was no possible way for her to complete the turn due to the traffic and it was impossible for the driver to not realize this. She made the turn anyway and ended up blocking both southbound lanes, causing two cars to stop short to avoid hitting her.

The second time a school bus did the same thing only going from a westbound side street to turn onto a southbound road with only a bit of traffic on it. This was a minibus and thank goodness there weren’t any kids in it. There was absolutely no reason for the bus to jump into oncoming traffic in this manner and the car in front of me nearly hit it. There were very few cars on the road at this point and he could have made the turn easily and safely if he’d waited a few extra seconds. I don’t understand why the driver decided not to wait. Normally, I’ll call the bus company when I see a school bus driver do something this dangerous. I couldn’t get the number this time.

3. Drivers who don’t let you from an on-ramp onto the highway

This is another one I don’t understand at all. I’d gotten onto the on-ramp of the highway and brought my vehicle up to speed so I could merge safely. With my turning signal on, I tried to merge into a nice large opening but the car already on the highway that I was going to be in front of upon merging safely intentionally sped up, forcing me to stay on the on-ramp or get hit by him. I couldn’t slow down because the vehicle behind me was a touch too close for comfort. I politely tooted my horn to say, “Hey, let me on the highway!”. So, I sped up to get into the space (which was still more than large enough for me to merge into safely) and the moran sped up again, blocking me from getting onto the highway. This time I held the horn down. As the end of the on-ramp near, the <censored> finally let me merge safely.

Maybe someone can explain the mentality of people like this to me because I just don’t get it.

Robert
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: [RANT] Three driving pet peeves of the day
Posted by: Speedy
Date: October 13, 2016 09:52AM
On ramp merging: it is your responsibility to merge, not the responsibility of those on the main road to help you merge. Though those on the main road should not hinder you as you described.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: October 13, 2016 09:53AM
Same here! Got cut off by two women in minivans this morning, one who thought she could just take the oncoming lane at a single lane left turn signal. Pretty amazing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/13/2016 09:55AM by mrbigstuff.
Date: October 13, 2016 09:56AM
Spweedy,

I know. I wasn't expecting any assistance. However, I do expect at least a little bit of courtesy. There was no reason for the driver to intentionally speed up to keep me from merging onto the highway. None. He was just being a <censored>.

Robert
Posted by: Todd's keyboard
Date: October 13, 2016 10:01AM
A popular heckler line is, "I can't believe out of 100 million sperm you were the one who made it."

Years ago I expanded this line into a three-minute comedy bit. The premise was that drivers are unconsciously reminded of their pre-conception race to the egg. If you let anyone in front of you, you are doomed.

Todd's survivalist keyboard
Posted by: rz
Date: October 13, 2016 10:13AM
I've often thought of starting a blog with my driving pet peeves. I could easily post a new one every day for a year. Twice in the last two weeks, I've had the drifting lane drivers at a stoplight. Seriously. I'm in the right lane, they are in the left. The light turns green, and the guy/gal in the left lane proceeds through the light, into my lane. And I've experienced the people speeding up to not allow merging often.
Posted by: Cary
Date: October 13, 2016 10:23AM
Robert, driving on Long Island is rife with experiences like yours - distracted drivers, entitled drivers, bad drivers, blind drivers, unlicensed drivers, drivers who don't signal, drivers who drive at 40 in the left lane, drivers who decide that the speed they are driving is the speed everyone else should be driving, etc.

It's a joy to be part of it.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: October 13, 2016 10:35AM
In Florida the pet peeves are:

1) No turn signals, you just have to assume every car coming at you will make a left turn unannounced

2) 15mph in the fast lane

3) Bright lights 24/7

4) Putting a car in drive rather than reverse to back up

5) The newest addition is going the wrong way on the interstate

And no matter what the DOT says, a 1983 Chrysler K-Car should not qualify for an antique license tag.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: October 13, 2016 10:38AM
Three observations:

1. It is far too easy to get a driver's license; no meaningful on-the-road training, no hands-on emergency situation handling instruction, not even an understanding of how the massive object they're hurtling around in works (or doesn't work.)

2. The "I've been driving like this for years, and never had any accidents" mentality

2. Everyone believes they are an "above average" driver (and so continue to drive by their own standards.)
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: October 13, 2016 10:47AM
Our largest issue here appears to be recent immigrants or visitors (In NE Ohio it's a huge Eastern European group) who are driving with international licenses. Or truck drivers up from Mexico. (The Canadians are very good). Specifically:

1- Signs ? I don't understand it, so it doesn't apply to me.
2- In my country I do x. Therefore I will do it here.
3- In my country the rules do not apply to me because I am xxxx.
4- I don't understand your language so I will yell at you in mine.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: October 13, 2016 11:00AM
Dear Robert,
Growing up on Long Island, I witnessed many of the same things you talk about. Those are the same people and they are now 40 years older. You are lucky they are not just bashing into one another randomly as they lose the melody in the middle of the song.
Date: October 13, 2016 11:01AM
Ombligo
In Florida the pet peeves are:

1) No turn signals, you just have to assume every car coming at you will make a left turn unannounced

2) 15mph in the fast lane

3) Bright lights 24/7

4) Putting a car in drive rather than reverse to back up

5) The newest addition is going the wrong way on the interstate

And no matter what the DOT says, a 1983 Chrysler K-Car should not qualify for an antique license tag.

What part of Florida do you live in? Because in Orlando, we don't have the problem of people driving 15mph in the fast lane. Instead, we have people driving 25mph ABOVE the speed limit, in every lane.

I have to agree about the antique plates though. State law is any car over 25 years old can get one. Registration fees are lower for "antique" cars. So, any car from before 1991 qualifies for the tag now. I shake my head every time I see a rusted POS car from the 1980s with an antique plate.
Posted by: 3d
Date: October 13, 2016 11:27AM
Street parking pet peeve.

In Manhattan street parking is highly coveted. This person was standing in the parking spot with arms crossed waving off cars trying to parallel park into the spot she was standing in. I hear her yelling, "My boyfriend is coming to park here! NO, this is my spot! My boyfriend is 2 blocks away! No parking here!"

In what universe is this normal behavior??
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: October 13, 2016 11:32AM
> 3. Drivers who don’t let you from an on-ramp onto the highway
If the person sped up twice while you were driving in the merge lane, there should have been plenty of space behind them.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Date: October 13, 2016 11:36AM
Filliam,

Couldn't slow down safely because the car behind me was following too closely. Not tailgating but too close for comfort. There was no way to slow down safely. And, there was a car right behind the <censored> who sped up twice. I was caught between working my butt off to get onto the highway or getting run onto the shoulder by the <censored>.

Robert
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: October 13, 2016 11:36AM
rz
What part of Florida do you live in? Because in Orlando, we don't have the problem of people driving 15mph in the fast lane. Instead, we have people driving 25mph ABOVE the speed limit, in every lane.

Orlando isn't Florida, it's just a holding area for tourists. (kidding)

I'm near Ocala

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Date: October 13, 2016 11:59AM
Filliam H. Muffman
> 3. Drivers who don’t let you from an on-ramp onto the highway
If the person sped up twice while you were driving in the merge lane, there should have been plenty of space behind them.

That would be "two wrongs":

1. Driver A already in lane increases speed, immediately changing "appropriate" merging speed for car(s) coming in from on ramp

2. Merging drivers must slow below what had just been the appropriate merging speed to now fall in behind driver A

Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left. smiley-music039
Date: October 13, 2016 12:14PM
Deuas,

Like I said... #2 was not feasible. If I could have I would have but it was 100% unrealistic and impossible at the time. Factor in a very short on-ramp and it would have been a dangerous and stupid move on my part.

Robert
Posted by: wurm
Date: October 13, 2016 12:20PM
Ombligo

It barely qualifies as a car.
Posted by: testcase
Date: October 13, 2016 12:25PM
1: You can't fix stupid.

2: Maybe Sears ran a sale on Drivers' Licenses recently?
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: October 13, 2016 12:31PM
testcase
1: You can't fix stupid.

2: Maybe Sears ran a sale on Drivers' Licenses recently?

Nah, it was a Groupon, no one shops at Sears any longer.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/13/2016 12:31PM by mrbigstuff.
Posted by: Jack D.
Date: October 13, 2016 12:35PM
In MA the person entering the highway MUST yield to moving traffic. That means that you need to slow down on the ramp (even if someone else is on your tail) until it's safe to merge into traffic.

That being said it's apparently totally the opposite in NY state. When I'm in NY visiting family (Binghamton area) I see people in the right lane moving over to the left to allow people entering the highway to merge. This is all great and fine but I also see those people take it for granted that there will be no vehicle at the end of the ramp when they enter so they don't even bother looking! This would be certain death on MA highways especially if it's a truck you merge into. I have also noticed that many NY drivers visiting MA are really pissed off when they try to merge and almost cause an accident. Personally I feel that traffic rules should be universal so everyone know what to expect from the other driver.

- Jack D.

New tasteless sig coming soon!
Date: October 13, 2016 12:41PM
Jack,

The rule is the same. 'course, the rules don't take into consideration someone _intentionally_ driving like a <censored>. He made following the rule dangerous. Safety trumps the rule, in my opinion.

Robert

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/13/2016 12:42PM by Robert M.
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: October 13, 2016 01:00PM
rz
I have to agree about the antique plates though. State law is any car over 25 years old can get one. Registration fees are lower for "antique" cars. So, any car from before 1991 qualifies for the tag now. I shake my head every time I see a rusted POS car from the 1980s with an antique plate.

In MI, it's the same, except an antique plate only allows you to drive to a car show that you are participating in, or driving in a parade.

Supposedly, if you're caught driving anywhere else you are in violation. I don't think the law is enforced much though.

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: max
Date: October 13, 2016 01:17PM
3d

In Manhattan street parking is highly coveted. This person was standing in the parking spot with arms crossed waving off cars trying to parallel park into the spot she was standing in. I hear her yelling, "My boyfriend is coming to park here! NO, this is my spot! My boyfriend is 2 blocks away! No parking here!"

NYC universe, that was quite common standard parking procedure in Manhattan, other boros it might be different.

Of course it was also normal for somebody force their way into the spot, physically pushing the woman out of it, while she was pounding her fists on the hood of the aggressor's car...
Posted by: GeneL
Date: October 13, 2016 01:36PM
max
3d

NYC universe, that was quite common standard parking procedure in Manhattan, other boros it might be different.

Of course it was also normal for somebody force their way into the spot, physically pushing the woman out of it, while she was pounding her fists on the hood of the aggressor's car...

I had to chuckle, reading those posts. They brought back memories from when I was living in Manhattan, years ago.

gl @ Dana Point, CA
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: October 13, 2016 01:42PM
I've discovered that there are people in the world who are hard-wired to be competitive. They can't help it. It short-circuits the rational thinking part of their brains and just competes. They can't endure being behind someone on any road. Ever. Under any conditions. They'll drive on the emergency lane to get around a vehicle that is in front of them regardless of what speed the vehicle in front of them is going. Merging triggers that response as well, as someone could possibly 'take the lead' away from them. Once they're in front of everyone then rational thought reappears and then slow down.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: October 13, 2016 01:49PM
This is why I like to get up early and get the gym at 5:30 AM.

So few cars on the road!
Posted by: mikebw
Date: October 13, 2016 02:54PM
Rick-o
rz

In MI, it's the same, except an antique plate only allows you to drive to a car show that you are participating in, or driving in a parade.

Supposedly, if you're caught driving anywhere else you are in violation. I don't think the law is enforced much though.

In MD your vehicle is also exempt from emissions inspections if you have a Historic (20+ year) license plate. I did this with my 87' Toyota Cressida Wagon, which I understand not everyone would agree is worthy, but I did.

ztirffritz
I've discovered that there are people in the world who are hard-wired to be competitive. They can't help it. It short-circuits the rational thinking part of their brains and just competes. They can't endure being behind someone on any road. Ever. Under any conditions. They'll drive on the emergency lane to get around a vehicle that is in front of them regardless of what speed the vehicle in front of them is going. Merging triggers that response as well, as someone could possibly 'take the lead' away from them. Once they're in front of everyone then rational thought reappears and then slow down.

So is this why I sometimes see a car pass ahead of me and then immediately get over and slow down? It doesn't make sense any other way. And this isn't a road-ragey type situation either, just regular driving at least on my part.
Date: October 13, 2016 03:38PM
The problem with the person in the right lane having the right of way in a merge situation is that the person merging onto the highway has to slow down or almost stop. When there is a small gap for them to finally merge, they will be starting from almost 0 mph. The next person in the right lane coming along will have to slam on their brakes, thus causing more backups behind them.

Every highway with a merge has a sign telling drivers that they are coming up to a merge. If they can, they should get over. Problem is, some people just don't care.
Posted by: jdc
Date: October 13, 2016 06:16PM
I can't stand peeps that use their blinker in the turn lane. You are already in the turn lane, I don't need you blinker too.

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Date: October 13, 2016 06:33PM
JDC,

You'd be incorrect in my opinion. If you're going to turn, use the blinker. It's the law and it informs everyone around you of your intention even if it is something that ought to be obvious. Want to get peeved? Get peeved at drivers who don't fully enter the turning lane. They straddle the line and block traffic that is going straight. That's annoying and happens constantly around here.

Robert
Posted by: Jack D.
Date: October 13, 2016 06:41PM
jdc
I can't stand peeps that use their blinker in the turn lane. You are already in the turn lane, I don't need you blinker too.

I'm gonna give that a big negatory. I've been behind people in the left/straight/right turn lane that at the last minute have decided they really meant that they were doing 'none of the above'. They just either sit there with the car angled in the direction they want to go in blocking you from actually turning or they surprise you with something from left field. I'm with Robert on this one, signals are good.

As a side note, I'm one of those people who if I get in the wrong lane I take the required turn and then find a safe place to turn around.

- Jack D.

New tasteless sig coming soon!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/13/2016 06:47PM by Jack D..
Posted by: jdc
Date: October 13, 2016 07:49PM
Wow, I need better sarcasm tags. Or you guys missed the 2 page discussion we had on blinkers a couple of months back.

And thats hilarious Jack, almost spit milk all over my screen.

So you are saying that because they have their blinker on, the car is *forced* to turn? Still laughing.

If you guys actually drove like half of you say you do, you would drive like a autonomous car.

I feel like Im a dentist and when he says "do you floss" everyone says "yes" or "some" even tho they don't. Like its akin to pushing old people over. I always just say "nope, never" and move on...

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Date: October 13, 2016 08:15PM
mikebw
So is this why I sometimes see a car pass ahead of me and then immediately get over and slow down? It doesn't make sense any other way. And this isn't a road-ragey type situation either, just regular driving at least on my part.

Don't know if this is what you're describing, but...

If you're doing 52 mph on a posted 55 mph road, someone who wants to do 55 will have to speed up above 55 to quickly and safely get past you. Once past you they will "slow" back down to 55.
Posted by: Acer
Date: October 13, 2016 08:58PM
Robert M
Jack,

The rule is the same. 'course, the rules don't take into consideration someone _intentionally_ driving like a <censored>. He made following the rule dangerous. Safety trumps the rule, in my opinion.

Robert

I'm with you on this one. Yes, the main travel lane has priority and the right of way. But a good defensive driver in the travel lane would adjust his or her speed ever so slightly to give the merger some margin. They certainly would NOT move to block...that's unnecessarily inviting trouble.

My driving teacher taught me to move over to the fast lane to let a merger in, assuming I was not affecting traffic in the fast lane. It's not a law, it's just good defensive driving.
Date: October 13, 2016 09:25PM
JDC,

It didn't sound like sarcasm to me. A smiley would definitely have made me realize it was sarcasm. smiling smiley

Robert
Posted by: M A V I C
Date: October 13, 2016 10:55PM
Around here, most people don't know how to merge onto the freeway. A couple of the ramps I frequently use are, sadly, comical displays of this. 95% of the time, they try to merge doing 35-45mph. Traffic is usually doing 60. For some reason I do not understand, when they realize they can't get over easily, they slow down. If you're having a hard time finding a spot, speed up.

When I can, I use the carpool onramp to blow past any drivers in front of me so I don't have to worry about people trying to merge at insanely slow speeds. It's MUCH easier to merge doing 70 when the cars are doing 65 than to be doing 40 and they're doing 65.

I feel like most people are not capable of gauging the speed of cars on the freeway as they try to speed up. For one of these ramps, you actually merge going uphill, and they always seem to be inept at keeping a constant speed - they may have been doing 60 at the bottom of the ramp, but come the merge point, they're doing 55.

So as far as #3 goes, Robert, I can't say in your situation, but around here if someone is right behind you AND you find people pushing on the gas to get in front of you before you merge, you're going too slow.

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/14/2016 09:51PM by M A V I C.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: October 14, 2016 12:26AM
MAVIC is right. Basic physics involving cars. With the vast majority of cars, it is far easier to quickly drop 10-20 mph, than to quickly speed up when merging.

But Seattle doesn't have the third worst traffic in the country for no reason. Only reason we aren't #1 or 2 is that there are times when the traffic isn't bad. We jumped from #4 to #3 in just the last 6 months. Thanks Amazon and Facebook. (and about a dozen others we all know)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/14/2016 12:30AM by Racer X.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: October 14, 2016 04:17AM
Racer X
But Seattle doesn't have the third worst traffic in the country for no reason. Only reason we aren't #1 or 2 is that there are times when the traffic isn't bad.

The reason Seattle isn't #1 is that it isn't L.A.

It is what it is.
Date: October 14, 2016 05:39AM
Mavic,

Definitely not. It was just after rush hour and, while there was still traffic, it wasn't standstill anymore. There would have been no issues whatsoever if the <censored> allowed me onto the highway like a normal, reasonable human.

Robert
Posted by: Mr645
Date: October 14, 2016 06:04AM
I live in South Florida so I can confirm
(1) cars sold in Dade county (Miami) and most cars sold in Broward (Ft. Lauderdale) do not come with turn signals.
(2) slower drivers stay right starts to apply as you reach northern Palm Beach county and further north. From there and South becomes famous for old faded Camry's driving 50 mph in the left lane.
(3) How am I supposed to stay perfectly in my lane while texting? Jesse, give me a break. I think in Miami you can get a ticket for driving without a phone plastered to your ear

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/14/2016 06:05AM by Mr645.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: October 14, 2016 06:13AM
I found that when driving my big truck that merging was never a problem. I would turn on my signal and merge. Same when on the mainline, I just kept my velocity steady and cars merged just fine. If there was ever a problem, I let the four wheeler figure out a solution.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: October 14, 2016 03:47PM
jdc
If you guys actually drove like half of you say you do, you would drive like a autonomous car.

Amen.

Posted by: vision63
Date: October 15, 2016 10:49AM
Robert M
Spweedy,

I know. I wasn't expecting any assistance. However, I do expect at least a little bit of courtesy. There was no reason for the driver to intentionally speed up to keep me from merging onto the highway. None. He was just being a <censored>.

Robert

Insecure people that feel somewhat powerless have to power to deny you smooth traffic transitions and boss the hell out of restaurant workers by being overly fussy and picky (they eat a lot of saliva).
Date: October 16, 2016 11:17AM
Vision,

I suspect insecurity had little to do with this. The driver was just a <censored>. Simple reason. No need to read further into it.

Robert
Posted by: fauch
Date: October 18, 2016 08:02AM
People who are planning to turn right and don't signal forcing YOU who wants to turn left to needlessly wait for them, assuming they are going straight...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 148
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020