advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Just discovered that there is only ONE known person alive today born in the 19th Century...
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: October 19, 2016 01:46PM
OK, this is not surprising that we're down to one.. in fact, had I been asked before I stumbled on this, I'd have said there were NO people left presently alive who were born in the 1800's...

But - apparently there is ONE!

[en.wikipedia.org]

Emma Morano, born 29 November, 1899.

When she inevitably passes, the ledgers of the 19th Century will be balanced, and the books closed.

Edit: found a better closing sentence...

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/19/2016 02:33PM by Paul F..
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Just discovered that there is only ONE known person alive today born in the 19th Century...
Posted by: Speedy
Date: October 19, 2016 01:58PM
They must have overlooked RgrF.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Re: Just discovered that there is only ONE known person alive today born in the 19th Century...
Posted by: clay
Date: October 19, 2016 02:16PM
Speedy

oh, snap!
Posted by: raz
Date: October 19, 2016 02:16PM
Well, technically the 20th century didn't start until 1 January 1901. So, there are likely a few more.

--------------

Embarassing myself on the Internet since 1978.
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: October 19, 2016 02:28PM
raz
Well, technically the 20th century didn't start until 1 January 1901. So, there are likely a few more.

According to Wikipedia the Mostly Knowing Source, there are two... Violet Brown and Nabi Tajima...

But you are correct!

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: Buzz
Date: October 19, 2016 02:30PM
When I was a kid, Great-great-Auntie Rose, who lived to be 104, told stories as she remembered them about Abe Lincoln. Them old people gots the best stories, fo' sure. Auntie's folks migrated west for the gold rush, and made a living selling clothes to the gold miners, and then Rose was born in the mid 1850's so she was old enough to actually remember Lincoln's assassination. I knew some other old people as kid that were born before Lincoln died, but were too young to actually remember it, so she was special as the only one I ever knew with first hand memories. Sadly a few years later we lost JFK, and new generations then had similar memories to carry on. It will be sad when old Emma passes to close out another century.
==
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: October 19, 2016 02:56PM
Every generation, so many stories are lost.... I still remember my grandfather (born 1899, died 1994) telling stories about his childhood in the hinterlands of Long Island. So many potatoes ! Or my great great grandmother's diary about her baby needing cow's milk, so she marched down the street in Manhattan and bought a cow at the market.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: October 19, 2016 03:04PM
Unrelated, but perhaps interesting none-the-less, Pres. John Tyler (in office 1841-1845, b. 1790) has two living grandchildren:

[en.wikipedia.org]

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Jack D.
Date: October 19, 2016 03:24PM
My Grandma was born on August (she pronounced it ow-goost) 21, 1899. She used to tell me stories of what it was like being chased out of her willage in the Ukraine by the Russian army. Then her trip to America via Ellis Island as a 21 yo girl alone and having to survive in this country before social services were available.

cbelt3 is right. So many great stories lost forever. Screw the Apple watch and pencil, they should be working on a way to back up the human brain. Kinda like a CCC or Time Machine for humans...only non invasive so as we don't have nice old folks walking around with blank stares like Windows users.

- Jack D.

New tasteless sig coming soon!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/19/2016 03:26PM by Jack D..
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: October 19, 2016 03:34PM
I wish I had made my father talk more about his life. He was born in 1908, spent 1928-32 in the Army, stationed in China and the Canal Zone; help build the bobsled run of the 32 Lake Placid Olympics (and was in the first bobsled down the run!); He was also an a Sitdown striker at the Chevy plants in 1937 to establish the UAW.

Please - make sure to tell your children or grandchildren your life story. They will want to know, even if they don't know they want to know.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: October 19, 2016 03:49PM
Speedy

Beat me to it. grinning smiley

It is what it is.
Posted by: lost in space
Date: October 19, 2016 04:13PM
We're lucky that my dad, born in 1914, finally wrote his memoir after we'd hounded him for years. He'd told us so many great stories (some growing greater with each telling) that we wanted them in writing. A family friend stepped up to the plate and typed what he wrote out and dictated some of it. It's the family treasure.

His father's stories seemed like they came from the dark ages. He was born in 1890. Only story I can remember from him was when he worked driving a mule team as a teenager. The rest is lost.

Posted by: The UnDoug
Date: October 19, 2016 05:11PM
Jack D.
Screw the Apple watch and pencil, they should be working on a way to back up the human brain.

There's this:

[storycorps.org]

[www.zeemaps.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/19/2016 05:11PM by The UnDoug.
Posted by: Jack D.
Date: October 19, 2016 05:39PM
The UnDoug
Jack D.
Screw the Apple watch and pencil, they should be working on a way to back up the human brain.

There's this:

[storycorps.org]

Yeah, not what I'm thinkin'. It would be cool to be able to actually copy the images/memories as people remembered them. I would guess you might need to do some editing so they are watchable in a coherent form but they would be what the person actually saw and felt at that moment. Wasn't there a movie where they could do this and they sold the 'recordings' on the black market for the thrills? Lots of scary stuff, people dying and other high adrenaline rush stuff. Not what I'm suggesting here but the historical value of real 'live' memories would be priceless.

- Jack D.

New tasteless sig coming soon!
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: October 19, 2016 06:59PM
As a kid, I remember thinking how odd it was that my Aunt Alice was in her 60s in the '60s. My 7 or 8 year old brain just couldn't comprehend that age...

My dad said he remembers seeing Civil War vets marching or, being pushed in a wheelchair more likely, in parades when he was a kid.

President John Tyler, who was born in 1790, still has grandchildren alive today. This article is from 2012, but I believe Harrison Tyler is still kicking.
[nymag.com]

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: jh
Date: October 19, 2016 08:03PM
Allow me to wax a little here.

A few years ago I scanned every collection of family photos, documents, letters, tin photos, etc. which were mainly from my mother's side of the family since her family lived in a town. My father's side had very few items or photos since they were farmers and most were lost in fires or floods. However before my father died in 2000 (born 1907) I video tapped his memories and recorded many stories he told us as we were growing up. His father whom I never knew was a farmer and worked as a part time deputy in the "sheriffing" business rarely packing a pistol.

Being one of five siblings we are amazed to what our parents went through growing up.

My father was one of eight siblings and the only one to graduate elementary school. He eventually worked his way through public school, college, and graduate school earning an PhD through the hardest of times including the depression. Sometimes he never knew where his next meal would come from or how he would be able to continue on with his education. He remembered the first car he saw as a kid, the end of World War I, the family crossing the US from KY to CA and back because his father had suffered from the flu epidemic of 1919 trying to improve his health.

My mother's story was an only child. Her father died when she was quite young forcing her mother to move them back with her grandmother. She did not talk much about her time growing up as they were pretty were tough but the graduated from college and taught school before marrying my father.

All to say they raised five kids who each graduated from college, some from grad school and all became productive citizens.

Not bad from a man who grew up plowing the fields behind a mule, working his own way through school and marrying a pretty young teacher who had her own hardships both still loving each other till they day they each died.

I glad I listened when I did and wished I listened more when they were alive.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: October 20, 2016 12:54AM
My partner's great aunt almost made it to 103. Missed by less than a month. Still sharp when I was at her 102nd B Day.
Posted by: GuyGene
Date: October 20, 2016 06:11AM
My grandparents were born in 1800s. And, my parents were both raised like you said, jh. Plowing behind mules and horses, a life like the Ingles. No electricity, running water, horse and buggy. My paternal grandfather bought a car when my Dad was 15, and Dad became the family chauffeur. Grandpa never drove in his life. Maternal grandparents died in the 1922 flu epidemic, not as bad as 1918 one, but bad enough. Both died within one month of each other, leaving my mother and 4 other children, who were separated and sent to live with relatives. Whew, a tough life! But mother was tough! She made it and did very well in life. She knew several Civil War veterans. Wow, how life has changed in just the past 80 years!!smiley-shocked003

That old man - he don't think like no old man...
Now I wouldn't want to be within 400 - 500 yards of one of them nuclear bombs when it goes off! WW1 Vet Old Man
"He's pinned under an outcropping of rock. Lucky for him, the rock kept the dirt from burying him alive."
If idiots could fly, this place would be an airport. And I'd be a TSA agent.
A bonified member of The Mystic Knights of The Sea, George P. Stevens, President. Andy Brown, Treasurer, Algonquin J. Calhoun, Legal Consultant.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 70
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020