advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Man who dissolved in boiling Yellowstone hot spring slipped while checking temperature to take bath
Posted by: $tevie
Date: November 17, 2016 12:50PM
Weirdest headline on WaPo today.

A Freedom of Information Act filed by KULR 8 and released in November revealed the details of the accident. The pair had more than an unauthorized stroll in mind. Rather, their goal was to find a thermal pool and take a soak — illegal conduct that the park described as “hot-potting.”

Sable Scott took a video recording of her brother on her phone, the Associated Press reported, as he made his way toward a 4-foot-wide, 10-foot-deep pool. In the report obtained by KULR 8, Scott witnessed her brother as he “was reaching down to check the temperature of a hot spring when he slipped and fell into the pool.”

[www.washingtonpost.com]

As discussed here [forums.macresource.com] back when it happened.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Man who dissolved in boiling Yellowstone hot spring slipped while checking temperature to take bath
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: November 17, 2016 12:55PM
Well.. guess he found out the temperature...

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Re: Man who dissolved in boiling Yellowstone hot spring slipped while checking temperature to take bath
Posted by: Racer X
Date: November 17, 2016 02:40PM
Mmmmmm, people stew!

No sympathy for people screwing around off limits in parks and forests. Especially out of bounds skiers and snow boarders, and poorly trained mountain climbers.

Two summers ago, I saw people 20' away from a bear cub eating berries in Jellystone. I refused to get out of our truck, knowing the un-armored people would be the first fodder for angry mom. The next day I saw people approaching a magnificent elk. His rack could have ripped our truck door off if he was pissed. Not afraid of an elk, mind you, if I am toting my dad's Winchester 70 elk rifle.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/17/2016 02:43PM by Racer X.
Posted by: numbered
Date: November 17, 2016 03:02PM
At Many Glacier in Glacier Park this August, two cubs and a mom were feeding next to the campground road. Mom was watching the dozen or so photographers who were less than....wait for it... 30' from the cubs. One false move...

For context I once watched a Brownie (Grizzly) in Alaska come out of the water, cross the beach, go over car sized boulders, go through the alder thickets, then run up the mountainside at 30mph for 500 yards. Stunning speed and endurance. (I felt fortunate to be on a boat.)
Date: November 17, 2016 03:20PM
Amen to that. Ever see the Mythbusters episode where they tried to bear-proof food in a mini-van. Amazing how fast the bear broke in and got the food. Smallish black bear too. Those claws are at least as capable as metal shears at unzipping.
Posted by: testcase
Date: November 17, 2016 04:08PM
I spent about 10 days in Yellowstone a few years ago. At one of the evening presentations, a Park Ranger told us that, bears in Yosemite, have figured out how to peel the "skin" off a car door. That exposes the mechanicals inside the door. Once exposed, a bear can easily push / pull the rods unlocking and opening the door! They continued on that, Yellowstone bears had not yet learned this trick and, they were hoping to keep their bears ignorant. Park visitors could help by NOT leaving food in cars.
Date: November 17, 2016 04:23PM
Yup. Mythbusters showed bears opening minivans, removing the middle seats, and dragging coolers out the sliding door opening.

Remember, it's THEIR home, we are just guests.
Posted by: DP
Date: November 17, 2016 04:36PM
I have to wonder if that water was sulphuric acid too...

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: November 17, 2016 05:04PM
DP
I have to wonder if that water was sulphuric acid too...

Certainly, amongst other acids.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: November 17, 2016 05:49PM
Yeeeeeeesh

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Posted by: Ammo
Date: November 17, 2016 07:27PM
testcase
I spent about 10 days in Yellowstone a few years ago. At one of the evening presentations, a Park Ranger told us that, bears in Yosemite, have figured out how to peel the "skin" off a car door. That exposes the mechanicals inside the door. Once exposed, a bear can easily push / pull the rods unlocking and opening the door! They continued on that, Yellowstone bears had not yet learned this trick and, they were hoping to keep their bears ignorant. Park visitors could help by NOT leaving food in cars.

So where do they recommend keeping food?

Where is there dignity unless there is also honesty? - Cicero

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. —Wendy Mass
Posted by: Acer
Date: November 17, 2016 07:39PM
The most bear-prone national parks have reinforced metal boxes anchored to concrete pads in the campgrounds.
Posted by: mrlynn
Date: November 17, 2016 09:26PM
Camping in the North Maine Woods, we used to hang our food (and garbage) in duffle bags well up in the air off tree branches. Seemed to deter the bears.

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"
Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Founded in 1948 by Pappy Ben Minnich
Saturdays 9am - 1pm Eastern
WHRB-FM, Cambridge, MA
Streaming at [www.WHRB.org]
Be there!

The HAH weblog: [hillbillyatharvard.wordpress.com]

Topical weblog: [walkingcreekworld.wordpress.com]

On the river in Saxonville.
Date: November 17, 2016 10:56PM
Acer
The most bear-prone national parks have reinforced metal boxes anchored to concrete pads in the campgrounds.

Saw them at every Nat'l' Park and Nat'l Forest campground we stayed in. Didn't see any at Dinosaur Nat'l Monument because those animals are dead.

They even lectured you if you left food tainted stuff out, like condiment covered utensils or paper plates. I was warned that my camp stove had grease on it. That would attract animals. Hadn't thought of that.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 84
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020