advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Is there a way to contact Gmail/Google? I keep getting someone else's mail of a similar name
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: November 17, 2016 01:19PM
I am not sure whey but I am receiving mail from a similar name to mine. The guy has signed up for dating services, Uber, and a host of other services. When I look at the body of the email, it lists another person's email address that is similar but not the exact same as my email. Either he keeps signing up using my email or gmail is erroneously sending me mail. I believe it to be the latter as his email address is not just a variant of my name with a differently placed period.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Phony Stark's Robot
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Is there a way to contact Gmail/Google? I keep getting someone else's mail of a similar name
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: November 17, 2016 01:33PM
If you're (for example) JohnSmith@gmail.com, and he signed up as John.Smith@gmail.com, Gmail IGNORES the period and treats them as the same address.
At least, they used to...

I don't know how to contact Google if you're not a paying customer...

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Re: Is there a way to contact Gmail/Google? I keep getting someone else's mail of a similar name
Posted by: mikebw
Date: November 17, 2016 01:35PM
pRICE cUBE
I believe it to be the latter as his email address is not just a variant of my name with a differently placed period.

Have you tried writing back to him about it? Maybe flag it as SPAM?
Date: November 17, 2016 01:36PM
Have you tried the "official" Gmail Help Forum?
[productforums.google.com]

It seems to have a lot of traffic, at least...

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: November 17, 2016 01:37PM
I get a lot of emails from people with addresses close to mine. Because mine is VERY simple. I usually respond to personal emails (work lists, that kind of things) with a short polite note that they have the wrong address and to please correct it. Annoying stuff... I've even used 'forgot my password', gotten into the account, and deleted it.

And once, for a nice little old lady whose nephew kept emailing the wrong address, I wrote a letter telling her about the problem. A nice thank you card arrived back.

Folks make honest mistakes all the time. That's pretty much why I still have a job !
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: November 17, 2016 01:58PM
....so you are getting Brad Pitt's hate emails from Angelina now......??

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: billb
Date: November 17, 2016 02:02PM
no whey

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Date: November 17, 2016 02:15PM
Paul F.
If you're (for example) JohnSmith@gmail.com, and he signed up as John.Smith@gmail.com, Gmail IGNORES the period and treats them as the same address.

Wouldn't that put their system in chaos?

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Phony Stark's Robot
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: November 17, 2016 02:36PM
That happens to me all the time. I've gotten responses to job applications from Nebraska and a seemingly-unending stream of academic-related emails from the UK. I let the sender know they have the wrong person if it looks like something important. One of the UK emailers was from an instructor who was convinced I was simply "being cheeky."
Posted by: norse
Date: November 17, 2016 02:43PM
I don't think there's a contact page for Google. It seems they don't want to be bothered. In their "help" area, there seems to be a way to send them a message however, they never reply back. POOR customer service.
Date: November 17, 2016 02:50PM
norse
I don't think there's a contact page for Google. It seems they don't want to be bothered. In their "help" area, there seems to be a way to send them a message however, they never reply back. POOR customer service.

When you're not paying them, of course it is...
If you're a paying customer (Apps for Business, etc) you get a support number. Even the free Apps for Education, I get actual people to talk to for support.
That's kinda why they'd rather not support the BILLION or so non-paying folks.... so they CAN support the people that are paying them.

Paul F.
-----
----

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: $tevie
Date: November 17, 2016 03:34PM
My sister has had this "period in a different place" gmail problem for literally years now. She gets a constant flow of emails intended for this other person. I keep telling her to change her gmail address and call it a day.

Date: November 17, 2016 04:16PM
$tevie
My sister has had this "period in a different place" gmail problem for literally years now. She gets a constant flow of emails intended for this other person. I keep telling her to change her gmail address and call it a day.

I have had this gmail for almost 17 years or so. I just started getting emails from the variants about 6 months ago.

Phony Stark's Robot
Posted by: TheTominator
Date: November 17, 2016 04:24PM
pRICE cUBE
I have had this gmail for almost 17 years or so. I just started getting emails from the variants about 6 months ago.

That seems like a long time considering that Gmail has only been around since April 1, 2004 for nvitation-only early beta and February 7, 2007 for the general public.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/17/2016 04:25PM by TheTominator.
Date: November 17, 2016 04:31PM
TheTominator
pRICE cUBE

That seems like a long time considering that Gmail has only been around since April 1, 2004 for nvitation-only early beta and February 7, 2007 for the general public.

I don't recall exactly when I joined, I recall being invited. This was during the period of the craze where people were bidding on eBay for invites.

Phony Stark's Robot
Posted by: Racer X
Date: November 17, 2016 05:08PM
Ice cUBE?
Posted by: TL
Date: November 17, 2016 07:04PM
The other guy probably has no idea of the havoc he's playing with your inbox, or the consequences of not fixing this.

I went through a somewhat similar issue a few year. A guy who shares my same first initial and last name went stupid and forgot he didn't own an email address of the style FirstinitialLastname@domain.com. In fact, I acquired it before he was born. I found out his stupidity when an online game he played required addition of an email address to his profile, and he added mine. Then every time he logged in, he tried to reset the password instead of, you know, remembering what he set each time. So, every time he played I got the reset notice including full user details and a cleartext password. This went on for months with me contacting him every time telling him to remove my info, me contacting the game admins to remove my info and them assuring me they had but hadn't, rinse and repeat. Finally I told the guy if it happened again, I would log in and permanently delete his account. That seems to have been the only way to have forced the issue, because its been blissful silence for 4 years now.

TLDR: If you think you can figure out who it is, perhaps contact him and mention continued use of your property (email) would appear to be explicit authorization to access any accounts listing your email. After all, he clearly is designating your ID (your email) as the owner of those accounts.
Posted by: Bimwad
Date: November 17, 2016 10:13PM
This has been an ongoing issue.

I have a very simple "firstnamelastinitial@gmail" address that I got in June 2004 during the invitation-only period.

A lot of times, it's evident that a person sharing a similar name mistypes their address, and I get their messages.

However, there are times when I receive messages from legitimate sources that is directed to a different name, but is sent to my address. These are the ones that are puzzling, and potentially troubling.

Gmail didn't always parse out periods within addresses. That came later, and some theorize that there are actually twin accounts that exist for "firstname" and "first.name" addresses because they were created prior to the change.

If true, that would seem to indicate the user without the period in the account would receive not only their mail, but also that of the other, since the current rule is to ignore periods.

I don't care about the erroneous messages. They can be an annoyance, like spam, but are relatively easy to handle (except for the idiots at JCPenney, who don't provide unsubscribe links and tell you to call them).

The worry is wondering whether Gmail is really misdirecting mail, and someone else is getting your messages erroneously as well.

Google is not going to be of any help, and I wouldn't use any such free account for sensitive mail anyway.
Posted by: ArtP
Date: November 18, 2016 02:19AM
Paul F.

I get that on occasion too. signed up early on as ArtPxxxxx@gmail.com and sometimes get mail entended fow Art.Pxxxxx@gmail.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/2016 02:19AM by ArtP.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: November 18, 2016 11:20AM
I guess it was good I signed up for mike.lastname@gmail.com instead of foregoing the period, not that there are really many people with my last name anyway, but still.
Date: November 18, 2016 11:27AM
Thinking about this since yesterday...
I think ONE potential issue is that SOME mail servers drop or ignore that dot, meaning that mail addressed to John.Doe@gmail.com will be sent to JohnDoe@gmail.com by SOME mail servers.
I'm having to think back quite a long way to when something similar appeared to be happening to me.

Paul F.
-----
----

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 196
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020