advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Any suggestions on electric smokers?
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: November 28, 2016 01:18PM
Thinking about getting my dad one for Christmas, and I don't know a blessed thing about them. Any suggestions welcome--other than from the Big Green Egg Cult. Not what I'm looking for, thank you.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Any suggestions on electric smokers?
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: November 28, 2016 01:24PM
Well.. does it have to be electric?

I don't know electric smokers well... but the "Little Chief" smokers are pretty ubiquitous "starter" smokers.

If he already knows he loves making jerky, smoked salmon, etc, then I just did a quick google and was startled how cheap this propane smoker is... don't know anything about it except it "looks good"...
[www.homedepot.com]
At $99, plus a barbeque propane tank.. it's gonna be tough to beat.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: November 28, 2016 01:26PM
Yeah, I do want to get him an electric. He's in his late 70's and very accomplished with a standard smoker (he uses a Weber barrel), but I'd like to get him something he can "push and play" and not have to baby-sit all day.
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: November 28, 2016 01:30PM
Well, he's still going to need to "babysit" the electric... unless you're thinking about a higher-end wood pellet fed smoker. Those are awesome (a friend has one, and does a TON of ribs, etc every summer), but they're not cheap! His was like $1400.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: November 28, 2016 01:46PM
....e-cigarette.....??

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: billb
Date: November 28, 2016 02:02PM
Will Collier
Yeah, I do want to get him an electric. He's in his late 70's and very accomplished with a standard smoker (he uses a Weber barrel), but I'd like to get him something he can "push and play" and not have to baby-sit all day.

The time consuming attention is usually part of the whole culture and enjoyment of the process.

Has he developed some bad habits for which you have concerns he may burn down the house ?

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: FormerlySaleenl
Date: November 28, 2016 02:32PM
We've had this one for three years and used it often. Never had any problems with it and it works well.

[www.amazon.com]

Looks like there's a newer model but the biggest change appears to be that the LED readout changed from red to blue.

-s
Posted by: Racer X
Date: November 28, 2016 02:36PM
Masterbuilt was the first name that popped into my mind as well. I have one of the starter Little Chiefs that Paul F mentioned.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: November 28, 2016 02:45PM
I know several accomplished BBQ guys who have high end wood smokers for parties, etc, but also have a basic $100 electric that they use for a quick brain-dead last minute weekend smoke.

It isn't nuclear fission, it just needs to hold a low temp for 12-18 hours. I once smoked some chickens and a butt in a big wooden box with a hotplate and a cast iron frying pan to hold the wood chips. Just put it on low with the foil covered pan. Worked just fine for a one time need (I was visiting relatives overseas).

So there is nothing wrong with the basic electric smoker, just have a thermometer to calibrate it.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: November 28, 2016 03:02PM
[masterbuilt.com]

I have this simple Masterbuilt electric smoker and it does just fine for the average everyday Joe that wants to smoke simple things.

After first we exclusively did briskets for 8-10 hours, but have lost patience with the effort that takes, especially for the before smoking prep. So we have simplified most of our "smoking" to three simple recipes:

Salmon filet + lemon juice + Old Bay. Smoke 60 minutes at 200° with alder chips applied 3 times

Tri-tip + whatever rub you like. Smoke 2 hours at 220° with hickory or mesquite chips applied 3 times

Chicken thighs + olive oil + Old Bay. Smoke 2.5 hours at 220° with mesquite chips applied 3 times

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Date: November 28, 2016 03:21PM
Ombligo
I know several accomplished BBQ guys who have high end wood smokers for parties, etc, but also have a basic $100 electric that they use for a quick brain-dead last minute weekend smoke.

It isn't nuclear fission, it just needs to hold a low temp for 12-18 hours. I once smoked some chickens and a butt in a big wooden box with a hotplate and a cast iron frying pan to hold the wood chips. Just put it on low with the foil covered pan. Worked just fine for a one time need (I was visiting relatives overseas).

So there is nothing wrong with the basic electric smoker, just have a thermometer to calibrate it.

There is an episode of Alton Brown's "Good Eats" where he did that. That is when I became fascinated in smoking food.
Posted by: bobinmurphy
Date: November 28, 2016 03:58PM
There's a discussion going on about smokers in an RV forum that I watch. A number of folks are raving about the Green Mountain Grills. These are pellet machines with a WiFi/Smart phone interface. You can set up recipe profiles on your smart phone and download them into the grill as well as monitor the grill operation. There's one video on their web page for a guy who won first place in a BBQ contest with his portable GMG. They're electric (12v/110v) and not cheap, but seem pretty impressive.

Personally I was considering get a Masterbuilt electric, one without the glass door that just smokes up and needs cleaning, until I saw these GMG grills.
Posted by: DinerDave
Date: November 28, 2016 04:31PM
A restaurant owner friend of mine has two big green egg smokers for personal use, he loves them. I have my eye on a Traeger pellet/electric for myself. If I don't get it for the holidays, I will buy it myself by spring.
I want a smaller one, they are about $430 and up. A tenant of my MIL has one, works great.

Dave

Welcome to Dave's BBQ!

Many have eaten here....

Few have died
Date: November 28, 2016 07:01PM
My BIL has a small Traeger pellet grill/smoker. The entire family loves it.
Posted by: vicrock
Date: November 28, 2016 07:13PM
Masterbuilt 40" here - does everything you could possibly want - also have the "cold smoker" accessory.
Posted by: srf1957
Date: November 29, 2016 10:10PM
Back in the seventies around my part of the country. Old refers from the 50's and early sixties were converted to smokers. hot plates in bottom hole in back for smoke to exit.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 124
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020