Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Did you buy anything this BF/CM?
Posted by: Bimwad
Date: November 29, 2016 12:24AM
Poll
Did you buy anything during the Black Friday/Cyber Monday sales?
Only registered users are allowed to vote for this poll.
57 votes were received.
Yes, lots. I got caught up in the hype, the stores love me and I'm happy to be a pawn of the machine. 4

7%
Yes, but just some smaller sale items for myself, because the prices were good. 21

37%
No, I didn't need or want anything. The stores are always open tomorrow. 17

30%
No, I eschew the modern materialistic lifestyle. I'm moving to a cabin in the woods soon. Don't come looking for me. 3

5%
None of the above. 12

21%

I bought a small, utilitarian item from our hosts. But that's it.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Did you buy anything this BF/CM?
Posted by: Buzz
Date: November 29, 2016 12:49AM
Does a late lunch at an upscale burger restaurant count?
Mrs. Buzz did order off the cyber-week menu which saved about three bucks...

No material goods were purchased for BF/CM, though we did go to the LA Auto Show on BF w/ the old geezers' discount, and then spent about quintuple the discount at one of our favorite eateries since we were in the neighborhood. Unfortunately we were there too early to get the Lakers "game day" discount on Mrs. Buzz's beverage, and no other discounts were available, so that gig was at full retail.
==
Posted by: wave rider
Date: November 29, 2016 12:49AM
I got some Panda Express...

=wr=
Posted by: saintyohann
Date: November 29, 2016 01:02AM
I admit it. I went over to the local shopping center on Thanksgiving night to try to pick up a New Nintendo 3DS.

It wasn't even on sale, but Nintendo released it on Thanksgiving. It had sold out everywhere locally and online. And despite the fact that I had stayed up the night before and snagged one online, I tested my luck at getting one without having to wait 10 days for delivery. So probably around 10PM I headed over and got in the electronics line and waited about 30 minutes. When I got to the register the runner told me they had sold out an hour previously. I looked at where he was pointing and told him as deadpan as I could, "I can see one right there." It was glorious...

Can I get a Mario Leader?

Anyway I downloaded Zelda: A Link to The Past and Super Mario World that night. Both from the 90s and the pinnacle of their series'. I also downloaded Mario Kart 7. I thought that the 3D feature of the New 3DS was going to just be a gimmick, but it really shines in a racing game like this.

I don't get all the Black Friday hate. I worked for Apple for twelve years, nine of those at a retail store...I kind of miss the crowds and hoopla of the holidays. But not those awful red shirts...
Posted by: jdc
Date: November 29, 2016 01:39AM
postbox, $24

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: November 29, 2016 02:11AM
iPad Air 2 for $275 from Best Buy (trucked out at 2:00 AM after TG dinner with friends). Was fun and interesting seeing all the people out and about. Could've snagged one of those 4K Toshibas for $200, but passed (I'm now ashamed at myself).
Posted by: 3d
Date: November 29, 2016 05:11AM
Please don't "shop shame" me. Big spender here:
Sweatpants
Electric shaver

For Small Business Saturday we ate at a family owned wing and burger place near me.
[www.spankysfoodfactory.com]
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: November 29, 2016 05:32AM
Pre-BF online - a 32" TV for my mom from Dell for $180 plus $100 credit that I used to buy her a soundbar to go with it and headphones for the wife (I also linked through eBates for 6% cash back)

Pre-BF online - a 48" TV for $280 (I shopped, son is paying 2/3rds of it) ebates is good for 2% back

BF online - 2 iPhone 5s @$99 (I shopped, son's paying) through eBates for 11% back

BF online - a bluetooth speaker, ipad case and new charging cable from Amazon for $40

BF in store - a 17-foot extension ladder for $89, two boxes of 48 batteries @ $5, and 15 led bulbs @ 89¢

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/2016 05:32AM by Ombligo.
Posted by: Sam3
Date: November 29, 2016 05:41AM
Movies, movies and more movies.

Plus a 32" Toshiba TV for $129 from BB that the parents of three graduating 8th graders will give our small ethnic language school next spring.

A couple of books using a B&N 30% off coupon, some card/board games that my daughter wanted.
Posted by: Onamuji
Date: November 29, 2016 06:11AM
Pretty pleased overall with this year's deals, but a few items on my gift list never went on sale.

Posted by: RecipeForDisaster
Date: November 29, 2016 06:31AM
No list from the in-laws yet, and that's most of my shopping. It was a regular workday and we bought absolutely nothing online or in-store. Ditto Cyber Monday.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: November 29, 2016 06:32AM
Sam3
Plus a 32" Toshiba TV for $129 from BB that the parents of three graduating 8th graders will give our small ethnic language school next spring.

Can you share more about this school? I'm curious to know more!

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: Billybob
Date: November 29, 2016 06:51AM
I bought an expensive lens, a Nikkor 24-70mm VR (too embarrassed to say how much I spent, but north of $2k).

My rationalization is that I'm in the process of eliminating my Canon kit, so I need replacements for all my Canon lenses (anyone want a well-maintained Canon 24-70mm L II?).
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: November 29, 2016 07:11AM
VA ABC stores have an annual BF 15% off $75+ sale.

I took advantage once again.
Posted by: billb
Date: November 29, 2016 07:30AM

$150 off.
They said it wouldn't fit in a caravan, but the online specs dimensions indicated it would. Just had to unpin a handle that sticks out.
Also got about 1/2 the Christmas shopping done. Wednesday morning.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: Speedy
Date: November 29, 2016 07:32AM
Our niece lives in Mexico City and always has things for us to buy to bring on our annual Christmas visit. We bought about $150 in music CDs and a $140 kiddy piano from some lux baby site which she really can't afford. Sigh. Nothing for us although I did put a $10 hard hat liner in my Amazon shopping basket for when my order is large enough to qualify for free shipping.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: November 29, 2016 07:36AM
billb

$150 off.
They said it wouldn't fit in a caravan, but the online specs dimensions indicated it would. Just had to unpin a handle that sticks out.

Looks like you may want to consider a shield for the motor because it looks like your split wood could easily bounce off the tires and into the motor.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: November 29, 2016 07:41AM
....a new attitude.....???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: TLB
Date: November 29, 2016 07:52AM
Mostly took advantage of a lot of free shipping offers for items I would have purchased anyway over the next month or two. Biggest purchase was an iPhone SE 64GB to replace my son's dying 4s. Thought it was a reasonable deal at nearly half Apple's price. Unfortunately it was only one per plan or I would have upgraded additional phones.
Posted by: billb
Date: November 29, 2016 08:15AM
Speedy
billb

$150 off.

Looks like you may want to consider a shield for the motor because it looks like your split wood could easily bounce off the tires and into the motor.

That's a bit of an optical illusion from the viewing angle.
It's not impossible though for an unsplit round to be pushed off the wedge on riding the wedge on a return stroke so you do have to watch for that.

I have a half share with a BIL that splits the other way which has its advantages

but low like that is tough on the back.
I don't have a truck any more with a tow hitch to go get it so have to borrow his Suburban and I usually want it the same time he does.
Not so convenient.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: Dennis R
Date: November 29, 2016 08:46AM
20% off a remote car starter for my daughter's car. Our son may be surprising us with a 50" tv.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/2016 08:47AM by Dennis R.
Posted by: testcase
Date: November 29, 2016 09:24AM
I only left the house to walk ~ 3 miles at 7:00AM. Nothing online that I considered a great deal.
Posted by: Z
Date: November 29, 2016 09:52AM
Was recovering from the return flight from Oz (which was a great trip). Dug out the christmas decorations and got Chez Z ready with Mrs. Z and little z.
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: November 29, 2016 10:18AM
pre-BF: 750GB SSD from Amazon

BF, all Amazon:
Dockers Cargo Pants
Dual USB3-UASP Cloning Dock for 2.5/3.5 SSD/HDD
Storage boxes for 2.5 & 3.5 drives

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

DuckDuckGo
The search engine that doesn't track you.

Posted by: riley5108
Date: November 29, 2016 11:55AM
I looked and looked online trying to find something, but No I couldn't find anything I needed or wanted. Must be getting too cheap or too picky in my old age.

- Riley
Southern Indiana, B-Town
Posted by: GuyGene
Date: November 29, 2016 12:52PM
NOOOOOO, I'll have one other person in the remote woods where I'm going! A hermit with coffee, that's the ticket. No coffee? Fuhgedaboutit. Hmmm, that doesn't look right - fuhgetaboutit. Nope, that don't look right either...

That old man - he don't think like no old man...
Now I wouldn't want to be within 400 - 500 yards of one of them nuclear bombs when it goes off! WW1 Vet Old Man
"He's pinned under an outcropping of rock. Lucky for him, the rock kept the dirt from burying him alive."
If idiots could fly, this place would be an airport. And I'd be a TSA agent.
A bonified member of The Mystic Knights of The Sea, George P. Stevens, President. Andy Brown, Treasurer, Algonquin J. Calhoun, Legal Consultant.
Posted by: 3d
Date: November 29, 2016 01:15PM
OOOOooooo... I've been waiting for this to go on sale.

OWC Value Line
24X USB 2.0 External DVD Writer with Software
Mac / PC / USB 2.0 & 1.1
$42.75 (add $2.25 padding for free shipping)

[eshop.macsales.com]
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: November 29, 2016 01:30PM
Pair of hard drives, pair of speakers, pair of headphones, SSD, micro SD card, pair of lightning cables, some clothes, big box o' Legos.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: November 29, 2016 02:48PM
Picked up a set of All-Clad stainless cookware at Macy's for a good discount, to replace parts of our 10-yr old set of teflon non-stick pans, some of which the teflon was starting to flake off of. A holiday present for ourselves which I expect we will not ever need to replace again.
Posted by: bhaveshp
Date: November 29, 2016 03:14PM
Yes, bought:

1. Acer 14" 1080 Chromebook for $229. Great machine for websurfing. May be replacing my 2012 Macbook Air which is only getting 3.5 h battery life. Chromebook supposed to get 12 h.

2. Netgear Orbi router & 2 satellites pack from Costco $449 I think. Not on sale. This is an amazing router solution replacing my 3 device setup (Timecapsule, plus 2 AEBS) giving much better coverage and faster Wi-Fi.

Rated higher than mesh eero. This is not mesh. Will have to write a longer review soon.
Posted by: The Grim Ninja
Date: November 29, 2016 04:01PM
I bought a few things that weren't Black Friday related. Two gallons of wood glue, 110 MicroSD cards.

And I bought a 42" teddy bear from Toys R Us...
Posted by: mrlynn
Date: November 29, 2016 04:25PM
Bought an iPad Air 2 for my wife from B&H for $369, but not before learning I'd missed the $275 sales Friday. Casualty of my aversion to both shopping and crowds (and traffic).

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"
Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Founded in 1948 by Pappy Ben Minnich
Saturdays 9am - 1pm Eastern
WHRB-FM, Cambridge, MA
Streaming at [www.WHRB.org]
Be there!

The HAH weblog: [hillbillyatharvard.wordpress.com]

Topical weblog: [walkingcreekworld.wordpress.com]

On the river in Saxonville.
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: November 29, 2016 07:53PM
No BF madness for me. Besides, I had family visiting from out of town and no one was interested in venturing out. YAY!

I DID manage to drop some coin for some clothes on CM. I got an email from one of my favorite online retailers for up to 30% off, depending how much you spend. It was easy to get the 30% discount, as I had to buy at minimum $250. and these days, that's not too hard to do.

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: richorlin
Date: November 29, 2016 10:21PM
On Friday I bought a 55" LG 4k UHD. TV at Costco for $489.
No crowds because Costco doesn't do BF Sales.
Still cheaper than both Bestbuy and Amazon by $100 and $160.

richorlin

[DrawingMyLife.com]
Posted by: mikebw
Date: November 30, 2016 12:07PM
The Grim Ninja
I bought a few things that weren't Black Friday related. Two gallons of wood glue, 110 MicroSD cards.

And I bought a 42" teddy bear from Toys R Us...

Sound like you have quite the party planned.
Posted by: Grumpyguy
Date: November 30, 2016 05:04PM
I hit Amazon and eBay for Cyber Monday sales.

The haul?

Belts, underwear, socks, belts, and one watch for work because Amazon gave me 15% off on it. Wild purchases I tell you!

Bryan
Posted by: decay
Date: November 30, 2016 05:37PM
Replaced 3 iPhones on Friday at BestBuy, for the gift cards.
(we need a new stove)

Bought one thing yesterday for myself.

---
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 114
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020