Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
PSA: Reset location and Privacy if your iPhone is acting funny
Posted by: pinkoos
Date: December 05, 2016 12:15PM
Settings -> General -> Reset -> Reset Location and Privacy

I was having problems with my iPhone for the last 4 to 6 weeks that I couldn't really pinpoint the cause of. My audio would stop/pause playing seemingly randomly and regardless of whether I was playing through the internal speakers, bluetooth headphones or bluetooth in my car. Sometimes it seemed that it would pause/stop when I got a notification on the screen and sometimes when I got a location-based notification.

Additionally, my apps wouldn't automatically update despite having that setting turned on. And, when I would go in to manually update, I was getting all kinds of weird behavior like the update button changing to the circle like it was getting ready to update, but then reverting back to the update button. I would have to repeatedly try to update an app manually before it finally "stuck" and went through with the update.

Lastly, I noticed that location based reminders were not working. For example, getting reminded of something when I got to work or when I got home.

That last example is what clued me in to maybe there's something going on with location and privacy. I searched online and came to the conclusion that I needed to reset that setting.

So I did that and it seems that all of the above problems have been solved. I'm not sure how some of those problems were/are related to resetting that setting, but it fixed all my issues.

The only drawback to resetting that setting is that you will have to grant each and every one of your apps access to location based data again. But, that was a small price to pay in my opinion.

Just thought I'd share this in case anybody is having similar issues. Again, if I hadn't had problems with the location-based reminders, I never would have thought to reset this setting.

Hope this helps somebody now or in the future!

My daily record blog: [www.auditorymusings.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/2016 12:18PM by pinkoos.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: PSA: Reset location and Privacy if your iPhone is acting funny
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: December 05, 2016 12:40PM
Good tip, thanks!
Posted by: testcase
Date: December 05, 2016 05:59PM
I often see "Not connected to the internet" while I'm seeing 1~3 bars with ATT. Annoying as hell. I've restarted my 6s+ several times with no joy. Maybe I'll try your fix.
Posted by: pinkoos
Date: December 05, 2016 06:00PM
testcase
I often see "Not connected to the internet" while I'm seeing 1~3 bars with ATT. Annoying as hell. I've restarted my 6s+ several times with no joy. Maybe I'll try your fix.

I would reset the network (as opposed to privacy/location) settings in your case and see if that helps.
Posted by: testcase
Date: December 05, 2016 08:43PM
Thanks for the suggestion, pinkoos; I'll give that a try.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 69
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020