advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Missing space on iPhone 6S
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: December 05, 2016 01:07PM
I've been running out of space on my iPhone 6s as of late and thought it was just because I was taking lots of pictures. I finally spent time to try and clean it up and I realized that more than half the space on the phone is "missing.

It is a 16GB model with 11.6GB showing for total used. I went to managed storage and added up everything up and only came to 5167MB while the iPhone is claiming I am using 11.2GB.. So I should have roughly 6GB that is missing. Any idea where I could find that and purge without doing a factory restore and downloading everything all over again?

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Missing space on iPhone 6S
Posted by: GGD
Date: December 05, 2016 02:58PM
Someone posted about this weird trick that frees up space by presumably deleting cache files.

[www.cnet.com]
[www.cultofmac.com]

Also, have you tried looking at the device using ImageCapture to see how much space the photos and movies that it can see take up.
Posted by: jimbrady
Date: December 05, 2016 04:13PM
Yep. Heard about the technique in the cent link as well.

Posted by: testcase
Date: December 05, 2016 05:51PM
"16GB" is actually only about 15 TRUE GB. Then, iOS takes up about half of that so, in reality, your lucky to have 7GB for you to use. Check and see how much of that 7GB your Apps (base install only) are using. After Apps are installed, they're going to grab some of that "free" space. You may have well under 5GB of truly free space for you to use.

This is the primary reason I buy the highest capacity available. Much harder to grow out of it and, when I go to sell it in two years time, it's worth much more than a base capacity model. old fogey smiley

PS: I just looked at my iPhone6s+. It's the 128GB model. Checking, I see I have ONLY 121.69GB of capacity. Almost 7GB lost! I have a sh!tload of Apps installed so, I see that, of the 121.69GB I'm truly starting with, I'm down to 42.4GB of available storage.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/2016 07:41AM by testcase.
Posted by: hal
Date: December 05, 2016 09:10PM
I let podcast automated downloads get out of hand... perhaps something like that?
Posted by: decay
Date: December 06, 2016 12:51PM
tips
[www.iphonehacks.com]

common complaint with iOS 10
[discussions.apple.com]

more tips
[www.imyfone.com]

---
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 86
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020