advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
FU to App Store OS X Purchases
Posted by: m.paris
Date: December 13, 2016 08:25PM
Here's a poser: as I related in App Store OS X purchases I couldn't see Sierra as being "purchased" but now I can if I log in from an old Mac mini running 10.6.8 and also from a new Mac mini running El Capitan. However, I can NOT see it if I log in from my iMac (mid-2011) running Mavericks. It is not a problem but it is a puzzlement. Does anyone have any insights?

I installed Sierra on an external drive hooked to the new Mac mini. It makes some sense that it would now be visible on that computer (even though I am not running Sierra on it now) but why would it show on the old 10.6.8 mini? And why not on the 10.9.5 iMac?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: FU to App Store OS X Purchases
Posted by: Onamuji
Date: December 13, 2016 08:39PM
Sierra supposedly won't show up in the App Store on a Mac that can't be upgraded to Sierra.

Should not show up on a 10.6.8 Mac mini since it requires 10.7.5 as the minimum OS for an upgrade.

I've heard of bugs allowing it to appear as a download on unqualified Macs, but have not heard of it being hidden on qualified Macs.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/13/2016 08:46PM by Onamuji.
Posted by: bobinmurphy
Date: December 13, 2016 08:40PM
I had the same problem and finally discovered I had two Apple IDs. The original one was just an ID but sometime along the way Apple insisted on using IDs that look like e-mail addresses. So my second Apple ID is my original ID with "@mac.com" added to the end. I'd used my old/original ID on my macMini running Snow Leopard to make a number of purchases, and like you when I updated to Mavericks they were all missing and it was because Mavericks was using the new ID. When I logged out of the App Store and forced the use of my old ID under Mavericks, all my old purchases came back.
Posted by: cyclemax
Date: December 13, 2016 08:50PM
Onamuji
Sierra won't show up in the App Store on a Mac that can't be upgraded to Sierra.

It shows up, but if you try to download it, it tells you the purchase can't be completed because it can't be installed on this computer. I see it in the App Store on a 2008 and 2009 Macbook Pro and a early 2009 iMac.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/13/2016 09:01PM by cyclemax.
Posted by: M A V I C
Date: December 13, 2016 09:11PM
cyclemax
Onamuji
Sierra won't show up in the App Store on a Mac that can't be upgraded to Sierra.

It shows up, but if you try to download it, it tells you the purchase can't be completed because it can't be installed on this computer. I see it in the App Store on a 2008 and 2009 Macbook Pro and a early 2009 iMac.

My experience as well

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Posted by: m.paris
Date: December 13, 2016 09:20PM
Thanks for all of your replies. It gives me something to think about. I don't think that I have dual ID's since I signed in from all of the machines to the App Store using the same ID and password. Nevertheless, something is strange here. Thanks again.
Posted by: Onamuji
Date: December 13, 2016 10:20PM
cyclemax
Onamuji

Should have been clearer: Per the OP, was referring to Sierra showing up in the "purchased" section.

The Sierra banner shows up along with app updates, but Sierra doesn't appear in the purchased list on my 2008 MBP.

Lion doesn't show up on a Retina MBP that shipped with Mountain Lion.

If it's not compatible, it's not supposed to show up in the purchased list anymore.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 147
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020