advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Need advice in migrating user (and Bootcamp) to new computer
Posted by: pdq
Date: December 19, 2016 01:43PM
We just got wifey's "new" work computer - a 13" 2014 MacBook Air. (I hadn't really paid attention, since I wasn't in the market, but geez these are gor-geous solid little units!)

Anyway, I'm going to migrate her from a circa 2008 white polycarbonate macbook that also ran Win XP in a Boot Camp partition. I got a Dell OEM disk for the latter off of eBay, and it was a pain in the butt and a lot of manual fussing to get a working XP install. I'd rather not go through that again unless I have to.

The old Mac is (maxed out I think) at 10.6.8. I'm currently starting with a clean install of Sierra on the new Mac. I can use Migration Assistant for all her Mac stuff, but is there any way to easily copy over a functional Boot Camp partition, using CCC or whatever?

PS- I have plenty of externals with which to attempt any needed shenanigans.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2016 01:56PM by pdq.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Need advice in migrating user (and Bootcamp) to new computer
Posted by: btfc
Date: December 19, 2016 02:36PM
Winclone:

[twocanoes.com]

I just located the v. 2.2 installer in my archives. (no pay)
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: December 19, 2016 02:38PM
I don't know if Sierra will run WinXP in Boot Camp. I thought it would only support drivers for Win10.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Date: December 19, 2016 03:01PM
"I don't know if Sierra will run WinXP in Boot Camp. I thought it would only support drivers for Win10."

Good catch, I just addressed the cloning part of the question. My understanding is that you can run 8.1 (or later) if Boot Camp was set up under an older macOS, but Win 10 would be required for a fresh Boot Camp install. I could be mistaken though.

[support.apple.com]

You could also encounter the 32/64 bit issue as well.
Date: December 19, 2016 03:02PM
btfc
Winclone:

[twocanoes.com]

Thanks - looks nice, but it's $40 for what I want to do, and I'm a cheap bastard.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: December 19, 2016 03:04PM
pdq
btfc
Winclone:

[twocanoes.com]

Thanks - looks nice, but it's $40 for what I want to do, and I'm a cheap bastard.

Me too, but any other solutions are wonky at best. I capitulated and bought it.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Date: December 19, 2016 03:13PM
btfc
"I don't know if Sierra will run WinXP in Boot Camp. I thought it would only support drivers for Win10."

Good catch, I just addressed the cloning part of the question. My understanding is that you can run 8.1 (or later) if Boot Camp was set up under an older macOS, but Win 10 would be required for a fresh Boot Camp install. I could be mistaken though.

[support.apple.com]

You could also encounter the 32/64 bit issue as well.

Thanks- I think you're right. I'll probably have to get a new Win 10 install disk (or a COA number).
Date: December 19, 2016 03:26PM
One more bit of advice from the knowledgeable folks here. This page at Apple suggests I can download an ISO image from Microsoft to make install media. I presume at some point it's going to want a valid, unused COA number.

Getting a Win 10 install COA from a US seller seems to start at $35, but there are lots of foreign sellers (UK, spain) that have good feedback and claim to sell a Win 10 COA for much less, which you can supposedly activate worldwide like this.

I know I'm a little off topic for a Mac board, but does anyone know their way around the mysterious ways of MS and its COAs in this context?
Posted by: JoeH
Date: December 19, 2016 07:58PM
I don't think anyone outside MS knows their way around the COAs. And sometimes I wonder about MS. Unfortunately there are a lot of sources for them that are selling forgeries or selling COAs that have already been registered before. Navigating that market and avoiding the ripoffs can be even more difficult.

Related to the original question, does anyone know how to transfer a Win XP Boot Camp install that was done on a partition using FAT32 instead of NTFS? That is something WinClone does not do. I have an installation on my black MacBook running 10.6.8 that I would like to preserve as I am about to stop using it at all.
Date: December 19, 2016 09:48PM
"Support Document: Converting Windows XP from FAT32 to NTFS format"

[twocanoes.com]
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: December 21, 2016 01:11AM
I believe Paragon's Hard Disk Manager for Mac can do what you want. At least, it can copy and restore a Bootcamp partition. It's also $40, but has a 10 day trial period.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 109
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020