advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Just saw Rogue One
Posted by: Spiff
Date: December 28, 2016 10:40PM
I don't care what the critics say. A serviceable movie in the franchise? Bah, I say. Humbug! It was an awesome movie telling a very directed yet vital piece of the star wars saga. I thought it was well written and executed. Not once did I glance at my watch to see what time it was. I might go so far as saying I enjoyed it more than "The Force Awakens". But that just may be my sleep deprived self typing...
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Just saw Rogue One
Posted by: tenders
Date: December 28, 2016 11:01PM
I liked it too. My wife and kids, not so much.

Imperial scum.
Posted by: max
Date: December 28, 2016 11:35PM
Spiff
I might go so far as saying I enjoyed it more than "The Force Awakens".

True dat....
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: December 28, 2016 11:38PM
I think it was better than the force awakens. It stands alone as a good movie.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: December 28, 2016 11:56PM
I've described it to my friends who haven't seen it yet as perhaps the best Star Wars movie ever.

It is what it is.
Posted by: SteveO
Date: December 29, 2016 01:48AM
I thought it was pretty good. A little better than last year's effort which I found "entertaining."
Posted by: IronMac
Date: December 29, 2016 02:57AM
I didn't like the ending but it was a better movie than last year's effort.
Date: December 29, 2016 03:10AM
IronMac
I didn't like the ending but it was a better movie than last year's effort.

That's curious. I really liked the ending. I thought it was rather dramatic and fed nicely into the episode IV movie.
Posted by: OWC Larry
Date: December 29, 2016 03:12AM
With you right there. Star Trek normally my preference... but really enjoyed Rogue One. smiling smiley

N-OS X-tasy!
I've described it to my friends who haven't seen it yet as perhaps the best Star Wars movie ever.

OWC Larry
Other World Computing
[www.macsales.com]
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: December 29, 2016 06:19AM
....so when does the sequel.....Rogue Two debuTT......??

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: December 29, 2016 08:53AM
Last half was better than the first.

Better than last year's film.

Head and shoulders above the prequels.

Sort of creepy walking out of the theater to hear Fisher had died.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: December 29, 2016 09:16AM
1) I'd like to thank all 85 members of the squad who sat around a table and tied up the plot.

2) As opposed to Force awakens, battle scenes actually had a reason for being there.

3) Storm troopers actually killed someone.

4) Troopers were rather gruesomely dispatched (not all a good thing) at times.

5) Didn't particularly like the main star. (Personal taste).

6) Cushing CG almost made it. Uncanny gully. Other CG very cartoonish.

7) Varying brands of rebels and imperials were confusing.

8) Guys with short beards all look alike.

9) Foreign accents sometimes lost the dialogue.

10) Characters built to appeal various regions and markets (Asia, Middle East, U.S. etc) rather cynically.

11) Saw it for five bucks. Just about worth the price.
Posted by: celliott
Date: December 29, 2016 11:10AM
SPOILER ALERT?????????

I really enjoyed the film. Good action, good story, good bridge movie, CGI Leia was weak I thought.

I had a hard time with the tossing around "May the force be with you" all the time. It seemed out of place since the old episode 1(now episode4) seemed to indicate that the Jedi were almost extinct. It wasn't until Luke showed up that things got revved up again. Were the rebels actually that in-tuned to the Force? No Jedi appear anywhere in Rogue One that I recall.

Also, I don't remember the exact quote, but at one point when headed back to his home planet of Alderaan, didn't Organa (who raised Leia) say something about needing to get back to Alderaan and speak to a certain female Jedi. If speaking of Leia, she didn't know she was Jedi. Does that mean he did know? If so, was he just basing that on the idea that he knew Vader was her father?

Sorry, this isn't a Star Wars board, but I really enjoyed the movie, just wondering about those two things. It seemed to flow really well and sure killed off (pun intended) any idea of a sequel, which they already indicated wasn't going to happen anyway.
Posted by: Mactel
Date: December 29, 2016 11:58AM
NewtonMP2100
....so when does the sequel.....Rogue Two debuTT......??

I believe Rogue Two was the snow speeder that finds Luke and Han on Hoth so that would make for a boring movie. turbo naughty smiley
Posted by: bruceko
Date: December 29, 2016 12:04PM
I liked the movie. Did the first 30 minutes seem very visibly dark?
Saw it at a theater that serves food at your seats and the lights were not totally off.
Posted by: tenders
Date: December 29, 2016 12:44PM
> Organa (who raised Leia) say something about needing to get back to Alderaan and speak to a certain female Jedi.

Organa said he needed to send a message to an old Jedi friend in hiding (Kenobi) and would call upon someone he trusted with his life to do it (Leia).
Posted by: kj
Date: December 29, 2016 01:58PM
Because of the reviews (just a way to make money between star wars?) I wasn't going to see it, but we didn't have anything else to do, and I'm glad we went. It was a really good movie. Probably better than most of the previous star wars. Sure, the cgi characters were a bit of a distraction, and I thought there were times when the main character's face should do something, but it just sort of didn't. But whatever, the sum of the parts was really worthwhile.
Posted by: vicrock
Date: December 29, 2016 04:36PM
I'm a Star Wars fan - but I thought it was about 30 minutes of story expanded to 2 hours +. I know I'm in the minority, but I thought the first hour stretched interminably and the second hour, while a bit more up tempo was not much better. Maybe watching again when it comes out for home viewing will change my mind.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: December 29, 2016 04:50PM
12) At various times, the dialogue would just fall dead and lie there for no good reason. Then things would pick up again.
Date: December 29, 2016 07:29PM
celliott
SPOILER ALERT?????????

I really enjoyed the film. Good action, good story, good bridge movie, CGI Leia was weak I thought.

I had a hard time with the tossing around "May the force be with you" all the time. It seemed out of place since the old episode 1(now episode4) seemed to indicate that the Jedi were almost extinct. It wasn't until Luke showed up that things got revved up again. Were the rebels actually that in-tuned to the Force? No Jedi appear anywhere in Rogue One that I recall.

Also, I don't remember the exact quote, but at one point when headed back to his home planet of Alderaan, didn't Organa (who raised Leia) say something about needing to get back to Alderaan and speak to a certain female Jedi. If speaking of Leia, she didn't know she was Jedi. Does that mean he did know? If so, was he just basing that on the idea that he knew Vader was her father?

Sorry, this isn't a Star Wars board, but I really enjoyed the movie, just wondering about those two things. It seemed to flow really well and sure killed off (pun intended) any idea of a sequel, which they already indicated wasn't going to happen anyway.

MORE SPOILERS!

All good points. I thought they did a pretty good job on CGI of the characters in the movie. Not quite realistic, but darn close. Yes, the lead character was a bit flat. It was mostly the monks who were saying the force be with everyone. They were tasked with guarding the temple and the crystals in it. The crystals are used to make Jedi's light sabers, thus being close to the force, but not actually being a Jedi (Just my own thought)? The same crystals also powered the Deat Star. That's why the monks kept mentioning the force, I would guess.
Date: December 29, 2016 08:17PM
tenders
> Organa (who raised Leia) say something about needing to get back to Alderaan and speak to a certain female Jedi.

Organa said he needed to send a message to an old Jedi friend in hiding (Kenobi) and would call upon someone he trusted with his life to do it (Leia).

This. I shared celliott's confusion on this matter the first time I saw the film. Careful listening when I saw the film the second time cleared it up.

It is what it is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/29/2016 08:22PM by N-OS X-tasy!.
Posted by: celliott
Date: December 29, 2016 09:06PM
Thanks for the clarification on the Organa thing- I'll listen more closely next time around. However, it wasn't just the monks saying "May the force be with you". Fighter pilots were saying it, one of the creatures in the flight preparation scene said it to the pilots as they took off, etc. Just seemed fast and loose with the MTFBWY thing. Still really enjoyable, I thought.
Posted by: 3d
Date: December 29, 2016 09:53PM
celliott
However, it wasn't just the monks saying "May the force be with you". Fighter pilots were saying it, one of the creatures in the flight preparation scene said it to the pilots as they took off, etc. Just seemed fast and loose with the MTFBWY thing. Still really enjoyable, I thought.

Similar to saying "Break a Leg" to a performer before taking the stage. Or "Godspeed" to someone leaving for a trip. Or "God Bless You" when someone sneezes. It's just something that is said because that's what people say.
Date: December 30, 2016 03:25AM
3d
celliott
However, it wasn't just the monks saying "May the force be with you". Fighter pilots were saying it, one of the creatures in the flight preparation scene said it to the pilots as they took off, etc. Just seemed fast and loose with the MTFBWY thing. Still really enjoyable, I thought.

Similar to saying "Break a Leg" to a performer before taking the stage. Or "Godspeed" to someone leaving for a trip. Or "God Bless You" when someone sneezes. It's just something that is said because that's what people say.

Agreed. I seem to remember the generals saying the same before sending Rebel pilots into battle against the Death Star in Episode IV.

It is what it is.
Date: December 30, 2016 11:52AM
celliott
Thanks for the clarification on the Organa thing- I'll listen more closely next time around. However, it wasn't just the monks saying "May the force be with you". Fighter pilots were saying it, one of the creatures in the flight preparation scene said it to the pilots as they took off, etc. Just seemed fast and loose with the MTFBWY thing. Still really enjoyable, I thought.

OK. That makes sense. Not sure I heard any imperials saying the phrase. Must have been a rebel alliance thing...
Posted by: Silencio
Date: January 02, 2017 10:32PM
We also got tripped up by Organa's line. That explanation makes perfect sense. Since Organa knew of Leia's origins and her biological father's proclivity for the Force, I was reading too much into that line.

It was a pretty well done film. I'd rate it clearly above TFA, and many miles above Episodes I-III.

The fan service laid it on a bit heavy at times, with Jyn bumping into Mr. "watch yourself!" (from the Cantina in Episode IV), the fairly unnecessary C-3PO/R2-D2 cameo, etc. etc. I don't even know how necessary Vader's scenes were, but — even the slimmest excuse to put him on screen is worth it.

We saw the film late last week after Carrie Fisher passed away, and I somehow never caught the spoiler that CGI Leia is in this film, so the final scene kind of killed me.

The soundtrack was pretty meh. Apparently they had to change composers mid-stream and it's apparent to the ear. We saw it on IMAX 3D at Lincoln Center, and while the big screen and sound system made for an immersive experience, the 3D didn't do a lot for me.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 91
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020