advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Has anyone bought that WSJ wine deal with 15 bottles for $90?
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: December 31, 2016 11:04PM
That's $6 a bottle including shipping. I assume you need to cancel in time or you'll get loaded down with lots of overpriced wine.

[www.wsjwine.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Has anyone bought that WSJ wine deal with 15 bottles for $90?
Posted by: freeradical
Date: December 31, 2016 11:12PM
No

Bad idea
Posted by: space-time
Date: December 31, 2016 11:38PM
My friend sent me a case. See a few threads below. The wine is OK.
Posted by: billb
Date: December 31, 2016 11:40PM
If you have absolutely no idea what you like or just want to taste (often one -offs ) non-local vints that will likely never make it into your local retailer's distributors catalogue it might be worth it. Should you find something you like you likely will never find it locally and maybe even never again. Whereas experimenting at your local retailer you'll much more than likely be able to buy it again or even ask them to get you a case at a case price.

Hand selected just means they bypassed the national distribution mafia. Their own buyers went looking for deals and steals usually straight from the vignerons and (probably more usually ) negociants.
Either that or they got tired of packing with their orifices. devil smiley

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: January 01, 2017 12:15AM
....tried the Virgin Wines offer....mostly only good for cooking wine [ IMHO ].....not worth it....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: January 01, 2017 12:40AM
Wow. I didn't even see the thread below. Heck, you can't even have it shipped to Arkansas. So I'd have to have it shipped to a friend in Louisiana, pay sales tax, and give them a bottle for ordering it. Not even worth doing the math again.
Posted by: DP
Date: January 01, 2017 08:01AM
mostly only good for cooking

A chef friend of mine says that if it's not good enough to drink it's sure not good enough to cook with...

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/01/2017 08:01AM by DP.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: January 01, 2017 08:29AM
NewtonMP2100
....tried the Virgin Wines offer....mostly only good for cooking wine [ IMHO ].....not worth it....

....actually if you are not a wine snob, they are probably o.k.....similar to cheap wines sold @ Trader Joe's and Wholefoods......the only issue is they say wine they pick and I had 3 bottles of the same red, 3 bottles of the same white (exactly the same bottles)....at least they should give 15 bottles that are different (can be from the same company).....mostly lesser know wines from lesser companies......

.....if you are not picky the wine is good or you can use to cook/braise or make sangria.......etc. Just don't expect really good wines and you won't be disappointed.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: pdq
Date: January 01, 2017 09:58AM
I did it through National Geographic, and it appears to be the same deal (Laithwaite is the name of the actual company). I did so after pricing some of the wines on line, and while I wasn't familiar with all of them, they seem to be legitimately $10+ wines (like Black Stump shiraz, for instance) So I went for it.

And honestly, so far, so good. We've enjoyed the wines, and (so far at least) all I've had to deal with is email offers which I would have to opt into, not opt out of. I think it's supposed to eventually become something like the old record clubs that send you the album of the month at a higher price, but it hasn't happened yet, and you can cancel at any time with no obligation. I haven't done that yet, but probably will.
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: January 01, 2017 09:59AM
I've had good luck with the Heartwood and Oak wines. They average out to six dollars a bottle give or take. I'd say they compare with ones I buy in the store for $9 or $10.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/01/2017 10:00AM by anonymouse1.
Posted by: pdq
Date: January 04, 2017 11:14AM
FYI:

Just got an email warning of the impending first automatic shipment under the Nat Geo wine club (Laithwaites). Of note, the email didn't say _what_ wine they would ship, or the price. So I called. The price was going to be $170 (including shipping) for a case of 12 (I presume mixed) bottles.

So I cancelled. They had two offers to get me to stay, neither of which seemed convincing. But after presenting the offers, they were fine with cancelling - no hassle. So taking advantage of their loss-leader initial offer (15 bottles of $10-15 wine for $90, including shipping) might be worth consideration.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 85
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020