advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Why weightlifting still works for me 3 years later
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: January 27, 2017 01:49PM
I thought I would share my workout experiences with you all here just in case someone could use this information. This works for me, it may not work for you. I have my reasons listed below. Whatever activity you chose, have fun.

What works for me:

I began weightlifting a little of 3 years ago. It started out as working some dumbbells while I was on a stationary bike. After about 2 months of that, I studied proper technique and used dumbbells and a universal weight lifting machine at a gym. This gave rise to the MR Forum Fit Club posts. In 3 years of lifting, I have gone from feeling very out of shape (well, round shape) to manageable amount of body fat percentage. I also improved my diet by cutting down on sugar and reading labels. My vitals have improved and I feel better overall.

I analyzed why weightlifting works for me and not other exercises and I came to a few conclusions.
-I can exercise on my own schedule and pace.
-No need to get a team together to have a quorum necessary to play. No one is relying on me to show up.
-I can lift until I am tired, rest, and lift again.
-I dislike the variable of weather. Gyms are typically climate controlled with no rain to deal with.
-I can get work in while you are on the road with resistance bands. Adjustable dumbbells don't take up a lot of room.
-Gym membership at recreation centers tend to be reasonable and low hassle.
-Adjustable weight are regularly sold on online classifieds if you don't want to pay for a gym
-You can watch a show while you do some work.
-Body weight exercises can be done almost anywhere
-Added muscle mass increases metabolism.
-2 workouts a week is enough for steady results.
-Some days I have a 90 minute workout in me, some days I only have 45 minutes.

What doesn't work for me:

Jogging and walking: I get winded too easily and dislike changing weather conditions. I don't like the sensation of my brain bouncing around.

Crossfit: Many similar elements to weightlifting but it tends to be done with a speed and timing component. I know that I would get too competitive and get myself hurt by lacking a sense of control. I also do not have the endurance to do that much work in a short amount of time. Crossfit can get pricey depending on a the gym.

Organized and team sports: My exercise pattern and availability is fluid so being tied to a schedule and having people rely on me doesn't work. Price can be a factor. Season length may not result in year round availability.

Aerobics, high intensity exercise, Zumba, Jazzercise: Programs such as P90X and aerobics don't work for me since I can never get to the end. Heck, I can't even get to the 10 minute marl of the warm up for the Insanity workout. I have entertained the thought of trying to finish one workout but darnit, I am too lazy. Zumba type workouts are not for me, I have never liked exercises in mass and in unison.

Elliptical: Same as prior reasons, endurance and lack of interest, even if I watch a show on the ipad.

Biking: Same as jogging, I get winded and I dislike dealing with the elements. Maybe if I lived in San Diego then I would change my tune. I also have the fear of getting hit by a car as I have covered many bike/motorcycle crash scenes in my news work. I have had some close calls. In the era of smartphones, I just don't feel safe enough.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Why weightlifting still works for me 3 years later
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: January 27, 2017 01:57PM
.....worth....the weight.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: mattkime
Date: January 27, 2017 03:28PM
what kind of routine do you follow?

I should do more weight lifting

(and you should probably do more cardio winking smiley )

Posted by: Don C
Date: January 27, 2017 04:04PM
On the same theme, I have had very good results working with a trainer.

He certainly pushes me much farther than I would go on my own while not pushing me beyond what I can do. We cut back the weights or reps if a new routine is too much.

Cardio is on my own before we start then we cover a lot of different areas, legs, back, arms, balance. Typically a set runs about six weeks. As I get better with each routine, we'll go from two to three repetitions or add weight (or both). Over the course of a year, We'll address muscles that I would never touch on my own.

I do about an hour with him once a week, then try to repeat the routine on my own one other day during the week. I am much stronger than when I started. Weight is down, but that has more to do with eating habits than exercise.

Silver Sneakers pays for the gym time; I pay for the trainer time and it is well worth every penny. My wife was skeptical at first but agrees that the cost is worthwhile. Josh moved from a gym half a mile away to a gym several miles away and we followed him because of the value we place on his services.
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: January 27, 2017 04:04PM
pRICE cUBE
I don't like the sensation of my brain bouncing around.

I don't have that problem—I'm, um…how you say…"light headed"…
Date: January 27, 2017 04:06PM
mattkime
what kind of routine do you follow?

I should do more weight lifting

(and you should probably do more cardio winking smiley )

Some people who really get into it will work muscle groups in a rotation. They will work the Back, arms, legs, shoulders on separate days. I just don't have time to hit the gym 4 days out of the week. What I basically do is Tuesday and Saturday where I do shoulder and back exercises, then do arms and legs on the other day. They key is to do a variety so you don't become unbalanced.

Here are some basic illustrated exercises fro dumbbells [www.workout-routine.com]

For a bit more advanced, I really like this guy at Athlean X. He gives very practical and medically informed advice. He is the opposite of what you find on Youtube which is full of "Bro Science" bad info.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Posted by: Rick-o
Date: January 27, 2017 05:06PM
I tried lifting weights, but they're so heavy!

<rim shot>

Thanks folks, and please tip your waitress!

{Woulda used this joke for the Friday Funnies, but...)

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: clyde
Date: January 27, 2017 05:39PM
Rick-o

<rim shot>

Nice going, Rick. Let's hear a Buddy Rich rim shot in a ceramic tile shower for your contribution!
Posted by: M A V I C
Date: January 27, 2017 09:15PM
Great to hear. I wish I could mountain bike more, but weather and time are my constraints.

The Mrs competes in her first weight lifting meet tomorrow.

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Posted by: billb
Date: January 27, 2017 09:21PM
Rick-o

<rim shot>

EXERCISE FOR PEOPLE OVER 40

Begin by standing on a comfortable surface where you have plenty of room at each side. With a 5-lb. potato sack in each hand, extend your arms straight out from your sides, and hold them there as long as you can. Try to reach a full minute, and then relax. Each day you'll find that you can hold this position for just a bit longer.

After a couple weeks, move up to 10-lb. potato sacks. After a couple more weeks, try 50-lb. potato sacks. Eventually try to get to where you can lift a 100-lb. potato sack in each hand, and hold your arms straight for more than a full minute. (I'm at this level.) Once you feel confident at that level, put a potato in each sack.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: jdc
Date: January 27, 2017 10:22PM
pRICE cUBE
Jogging and walking: I get winded too easily and dislike changing weather conditions. I don't like the sensation of my brain bouncing around.

Well thats gonna be a bummer when the zombies come.

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Date: January 28, 2017 11:27AM
jdc
pRICE cUBE

It just need the run faster than the slowest person in my group.

Posted by: fauch
Date: January 28, 2017 02:29PM
this_thread_is_useless_without_pics
Date: January 28, 2017 03:51PM
fauch
this_thread_is_useless_without_pics

OK, here is the late Larry Scott. One of bodybuilding's greats and a near and dear friend to me. The Scott Curls, originally known as the preacher curl, was named for him due to his constant use of it. I still do that lift in his honor.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2017 07:37PM by pRICE cUBE.
Posted by: jdc
Date: January 29, 2017 01:34PM
pRICE cUBE
jdc
pRICE cUBE

Sounds like you might be that person... =)

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Date: January 29, 2017 04:35PM
jdc
pRICE cUBE
jdc
pRICE cUBE

Sounds like you might be that person... =)

We'll see. WIll you be in my group?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 184
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020