advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Where to stay in D.C.?
Posted by: Ammo
Date: February 26, 2017 03:46PM
Towards the end of April, we plan to spend 3 days sightseeing in the city. We'll be coming into town from the north (Gettysburg), but would like to base to the south/southwest of town, maybe somewhere near Alexandria? It would be wonderful if we had easy access the train going into town, so we don't have to drive.

We don't need a fancy place because we won't be spending much time at the hotel. However, we are big fans of a relatively quiet and safe neighborhoods. Free parking would also be a plus. Am I dreaming?

If you are familiar with this area, are there any places that you would recommend? Thank you!

Where is there dignity unless there is also honesty? - Cicero

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. —Wendy Mass

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2017 04:11PM by Ammo.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Where to stay in D.C.?
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: February 26, 2017 04:00PM
Posted by: billb
Date: February 26, 2017 04:33PM
Lincoln Bedroom.
Donation procedures have probably changed.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: wurm
Date: February 26, 2017 04:44PM
We went about three years ago (also for just a few days), and I remember very much enjoying it; enough so that I'd like to do it again sometime in the near future.

My wife says we stayed at the Clarion in Arlington. She says Arlington is a little cheaper than DC itself for hotels, and the Clarion was nice as I recall. The good thing about the DC area is the you can take the Metro pretty much anywhere, so no need to rent a car.

Lots of things to see and do as you can well imagine. We did some tour thing called Memorials by Moonlight, which was cool. What was nice about the Moonlight tour thing is that they take you by (and give an little explanation of) all the memorials, then you can decide on a few to visit on your own the next day. It was very cool to see the WWII Memorial which had recently been finished. Plus the Korean Memorial and of course the Vietnam Wall. The Smithsonian is a must see. And Arlington National Cemetery, the Tomb of the Unknown, Lincoln Memorial, FDR's memorial. I think we may have even visited the US Mint. The Newseum is pretty cool, too.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: February 26, 2017 04:52PM
Look at Hotwire, and then see where those places are in relation to the Metro. You do NOT want to try to drive around; try not to even have a car. However before booking, look at the hotels individual website. I have gotten the same rate without restrictions in the past.

A glance at AirBnB might be worthwhile as well (especially if you are driving - the cost difference may be what you would pay for hotel parking).

But you definitely want good access to Metro.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Posted by: SDGuy
Date: February 26, 2017 05:04PM
It's been awhile, but when I used to go to D.C. on a regular basis, I tended to favor either the Crystal Gateway Marriott (easy access to the Crystal City shops and Metro station), or the Residence Inn in Pentagon City (walking distance to the Pentagon City mall for amenities and its Metro station)

On a sort-of related note, the National Park Service used to have the best map I've found of D.C. - unlike most maps, it actually shows where the entrances are to the Metro stations - which could be a block or more from the locations shown on most maps. It looks like their current web page doesn't have an option to download it as a pdf, but it does let you print it.

Thankfully, though, with the magic of archive.org, you can still download one - the most recent one I found that archive.org kept is from 2012: [web.archive.org] (click on the "Click here for a downloadable pdf version of the map above" link to get it).
Edit - looks like the forum software didn't like archive.org's URL, so changed things a bit to make it work

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2017 05:10PM by SDGuy.
Posted by: J Marston
Date: February 26, 2017 06:02PM
D.C. is a business city, so hotel rooms are expensive Sun-Thu, cheap on Fri-Sat. Any of the usual web sites can find you a good bargain on Fri and Sat: from the Ritz Carleton at Tyson's or the Vista International (made famous by Marion Barry) to any number of downtown hotels. But the $100 you pay on Saturday becomes $300 on Sunday, and if you pay $200 on Saturday, prepare for $600 on Sunday. So plan carefully.
Posted by: jh
Date: February 26, 2017 07:07PM
Several years ago we visited D.C. for sightseeing. Stayed in East Falls Church at the Econolodge. Walked to the East Falls Church Metro Station down a public path which is a very short distance from the motel. We were interested in the basics where we stayed (which was fine for us no problems) and road the Metro in and out to where we wanted to go.
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: February 26, 2017 07:13PM
Also check the Metro/subway system's web page for lines they are working on for long term repair. This is not just a day or two outage but a single tracking method to fix some long neglected portions of the system. This can significantly slow down certain lines.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: February 26, 2017 07:38PM
....White House....he is staying at Marred-a-lago.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: sekker
Date: February 26, 2017 10:25PM
Weekend of April 22-23 will be a zoo with all of the Science Marchers...
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: February 26, 2017 10:58PM
I really should go to D.C. and ride the subway to see how it compares to the Capital Wasteland.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: February 27, 2017 12:42AM
You may also want to consider staying out toward Rockville and using the metro from that direction.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 99
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020