advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
OT: CDRW Yamaha 3200E (rev 1.0b); dead?
Posted by: SKYLANE
Date: January 13, 2006 06:26PM
I use to have the subject CD-RW in an old beige machine. Didn't seem to work well as I moved on to later versions of OS X with the help of XPostFacto. It seemed to work OK when I booted in OS 9, intermittently though. Maybe it was just on the verge of dying? I ended up doing most my CD required work from FW external.

After I retired my beige, I moved the Yamaha to a Dell PC. When I insert a CD, the drive spins up and the little diode light on the front blinks, but nothing is read from any CD then it stops. I tried blowing out the inside with compressed air. I even tried inserting one of those CD-ROM cleaners with the little bristles embedded in the CD, but it doesnt read that CD either.

Anything to do before I declare this Yamaha CD-RW dead and bury it in the graveyard?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2006 06:28PM by SKYLANE.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: OT: CDRW Yamaha 3200E (rev 1.0b); dead?
Posted by: rexrzer
Date: January 13, 2006 07:02PM
SCSI or IDE/ATA?

If it's IDE/ATA you could put it into your FireWire enclosure and see if it behaves better/works at all, there. Other than that, you undoubtedly have a dead CDRW.

What's the difference between reality and fiction? Fiction has to make some sense.
Date: January 13, 2006 07:49PM
It is IDE...

Good idea. Won't take much effort at all to pop it in the FW box and see what happens. It was a good CDRW, hate to see it go. But, I do have the Pioneer DVD burner in FW case, so no capability is lost.
Posted by: New.Dad
Date: January 13, 2006 07:52PM
so why is this OT (Off Topic) ??? than what is ON TOPIC please?
Posted by: Buzz
Date: January 13, 2006 08:18PM
must be off topic because Yamaha is out of CDRW biz :-)
Date: January 14, 2006 04:44AM
I know it doesn't seem off topic. However, since the Yamaha was currently sitting in a PC, it just didn't seem right not to put OT on it. ;)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 53
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020