advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Follow-up: list of 138 JC Penney stores to be closed
Posted by: Drew
Date: March 17, 2017 06:56PM
The only store closing in Washington State is at Pilchuck Landing (wherever that is). I have a feeling that this isn't going to make much difference for JC Penney. Last one I was in (Southcenter Mall, near downtown Seattle) was like a ghost town.

[www.washingtonpost.com]

Follow-up to this thread:
[forums.macresource.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Follow-up: list of 138 JC Penney stores to be closed
Posted by: Racer X
Date: March 17, 2017 07:45PM
It's in the small town of Snohomish. Not that surprising.
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: March 17, 2017 07:53PM
7 stores closing in Michigan, with 4 of them in the U.P.

I'm amazed that there were that many in MI's Upper Peninsula! smiley-shocked003

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: JoeH
Date: March 17, 2017 08:02PM
One in my state, MA, near where my parents live. Probably would have done better financially if it had been left in its original location years ago, the current location is in a mall with higher rents.
Posted by: M A V I C
Date: March 17, 2017 08:40PM
I've been to the one in Snohomish, though that was over 20 years ago.

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Posted by: bfd
Date: March 17, 2017 08:45PM
When was the last time anyone set foot inside a JCPenney? Seriously.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: March 17, 2017 08:51PM
Just last year, though I only spent less than a hundred.
Posted by: tenders
Date: March 17, 2017 10:08PM
Kohl's has basically eaten JCP alive, but JCP and their house brands of clothing are better than you might think. I'm not particularly near one, but I wander in maybe twice a year and come out with something more often than not. Their business casual for men, and teen girls' section, are actually pretty OK, and my wife finds stuff as least as often as I do.

I was wearing their Stafford all-cotton monogrammed dress shirts with suits for a while, and their white short-sleeve undershirts are noticeably nicer than Fruit of the Loom. But then they substituted some polyester for the cotton in the dress shirts, and stopped offering them in discrete one-inch sleeve sizes, either of which was a non-starter for me.
Posted by: Don C
Date: March 17, 2017 10:46PM
My dad worked his way through engineering school at Iowa selling shoes at Penny's. We grew up in Penny's clothes. I have not bought anything there is quite a while. I found the local store to be messy and isles packed with stuff. More to the point, my wife has decided they are not worthy so WE just don't shop there.

Fact of the matter is, my closets are pretty full and I don't shop anywhere very much.
Posted by: blooz
Date: March 17, 2017 11:15PM
Nearest JCP always has a couple people, at least, looking as if they are going to buy when I go there. In the last six months I bought jeans, some dress pants (Liz Claiborne if that means anything to anybody), underwear, I think a couple shirts. Cheap, clothes hold up, standard fare.
Not surprised at the MA stor that's closing. The Berkshire Mall is one of those dying malls where the stores are cheap, the air is bad the only things keeping it alive are the sears store and the theaters.
It's where you go to shop while in the depressive stage of manic depression.

And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once.
—Friedrich Nietzsche
Western Massachusetts

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2017 11:19PM by blooz.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: March 17, 2017 11:50PM
Ours is not on the list! It is a fairly large store located in our mall and is much busier than Sears which isn't saying much.

tenders covered much of what I buy at Penney's. I was in ours last week looking for Stafford short-sleeve Oxford dress shirts. If I don't get there during the two or three weeks they stock the short-sleeve shirts I miss out on my size and (non-solid color) style. The cut used to be better, roomier in the belly, with a better knit but they are still good shirts at a good price. They were not yet in stock so today I bought six of the shirts from the Penney's website at $18 each. Comments on the site were mostly about lack of selection. At the urging of my spousal unit I bought one of every offered pattern and even one of those six was not available in my neck size. She gives me the thumbs up or down on my wardrobe whenever we go anywhere together so I buy what she tells me to. Two already shipped, the other four are "shipping separately" which I take to mean that Penney's was scrounging them up from places other than their distribution center.

I also buy my briefs and socks at the store. A brother-in-law in Mexico City used to have us bring a half dozen briefs and tee-shirts from Penney's every year because he liked the quality. A few years ago he stopped requesting them but I never asked him why.

When our kids were pre-school age a couple decades ago we bought their clothes there all the time.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2017 11:52PM by Speedy.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: March 18, 2017 12:15AM
Most of my and my partner's winter outerwear has come from Penny's in the past decade. One of my jackets is about 2 decades old. And In the Pacific NorthWet, our "winter outerwear" gets used over 6 months out of the year.
Posted by: artie67
Date: March 18, 2017 12:49AM
My oldest memory of the Van Nuys (CA) store was the shoe department and the air tube system used for handling payment. Stafford T's are still very good.
Posted by: datbeme
Date: March 18, 2017 01:09AM
bfd

Seriously, that's what I was thinking. Couldn't even be sure where there was one. Did a store locator search and there is one in a local mall that I haven't set foot in in the last 6-8 years. I've been in a couple of peripheral stores and nearby plazas but not the indoor mall itself.
Posted by: Drew
Date: March 18, 2017 01:18AM
datbeme
bfd

Seriously, that's what I was thinking. Couldn't even be sure where there was one. Did a store locator search and there is one in a local mall that I haven't set foot in in the last 6-8 years. I've been in a couple of peripheral stores and nearby plazas but not the indoor mall itself.

You need to go. It's kind of an out-of-body experience to see stuff all around, but few customers and even fewer staff.
Posted by: billb
Date: March 18, 2017 09:07AM
JCP has done some crazy interesting marketing and branding and shot themselves in the foot over and over again.
The JCP here has become a Stafford store, with so many of the other brands they used to carry , gone. Not that there is anything wrong with Stafford, but sheesh - is that all there is ?

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: vision63
Date: March 18, 2017 11:32AM
bfd

I use their coupons. They have the best clothing deals in the universe. If you wear clothing (and I'm believing that you do, I'm not judging #yesiam), you'll find great value there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2017 11:48AM by vision63.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: March 18, 2017 10:48PM
.....they tried ditching the coupons a few years ago but it didn't work.....they switched it back to the old way.......people seem to love Kohl's but I despise their 'fake' deals......read a report somewhere about how their 'suggested value' of items were off....

......they give you the stupid Kohl's cash but then you are forced to used it during a specific time period.......for full price items....not worth the hassle.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 113
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020