advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
iPod Shuffle opinions?
Posted by: Ammo
Date: December 10, 2006 04:01PM
I am thinking of getting a couple of the 1 gig Shuffles for my daughters. They are $79 each (I don't want to spend more than this right now) on Apple's site.

I realize this is the most basic model, but are there any significant drawbacks to using these as a basic MP3 player?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: iPod Shuffle opinions?
Posted by: Racer X
Date: December 10, 2006 04:05PM
right now ClubMac has a free after rebate Belkin FM transmitter along with the 1 gig shuffles. Their shuffles are $74, and are probably tax free as well. [www.clubmac.com]
Posted by: carl
Date: December 10, 2006 04:11PM
I think its a great music player, perfect for the gym. I can clip it to my shirt sleeve and it doesn't fall off. Its very easy to use and 1 gig is plenty of music storage for me.
Posted by: blooz
Date: December 10, 2006 04:28PM
I have an older one, and it is one of the most fun things I ever bought for myself.

I'd love to get a new clip-on one.

And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once.
—Friedrich Nietzsche
Western Massachusetts
Posted by: evilrobot
Date: December 10, 2006 05:03PM
from an active/running perspective - they are fantastic. it's easy to navigate songs by feel and (at least the 'gum pack' model) takes a lot of abuse.

i've heard rumors that the new model doesn't sound as good as the first gen shuffles, but have to wait until christmas to confirm.
Posted by: Chupa Chupa
Date: December 10, 2006 05:50PM
Just speaking from my own experience, I love the shuffle while working out. For everything else I go to my 2nd gen nano. If I had to pick one over the other I'd take the nano every time.

There are major drawbacks to the shuffle as a everyday player:

1) no screen
2) no way to access more than one playlist
3) no way to get to a song you want to hear without FF though all the songs until you hit it
4) no support to d/l podcasts off of iTunes

The 2GB nano is $149...$70 more than the shuffle. You get 2x the memory and all the additional functionality.
Posted by: chas_m
Date: December 10, 2006 08:41PM
Your daughters will likely not care about the lack of screen, since they will be loading the music they want onto the thing and mostly listening to it on "shuffle mode" anyway.

Sounds like a great gift, stop second-guessing yourself. They'll love it. If they want something more or they outgrow it, they can earn the money and buy it themselves.

chas_m

[crawlingfromtheusa.blogspot.com] <-- Moving to Canada blog
Posted by: jesse
Date: December 11, 2006 09:12AM
I have the new shuffle and love it, when we were at the Mac store the salesman hooked it up to a set of $400.00 speakers and the sound that came out of that little thing was amazing. My daughter is 12 and she has a nano, she only has about 30 songs that she listens to and they are all on one playlist, personally I think she would of been happy with a shuffle.

jesse
Posted by: Ammo
Date: December 11, 2006 10:16AM
Thank you very much to all who responded to my question. I guess it's time to order!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 94
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020