advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
suggestions for a simple TV Guide type app
Posted by: wurm
Date: March 26, 2017 09:26AM
I've checked google. I've checked the iTunes app store. Lots of apps that do a lot, and it seems the more they do, the lower the rating. So....

I'm looking for a very simple grid-type app where I can quickly check what's on TV today on what channel. I just want to look at a grid that shows a block of time, a list of stations I can get and what shows are on at that time. I don't want video previews. I don't need to set up Favorites or reminders. I don't need to know what's on Premium stations. I don't even care about searching for particular shows. And I'd like to do it on my iPhone.

Does anything like that exist?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2017 09:27AM by wurm.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: suggestions for a simple TV Guide type app
Posted by: tortoise
Date: March 26, 2017 10:35AM
agree smiley
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: March 26, 2017 10:50AM
Check out Titan TV. I use the desktop version, and I just grabbed the iOS version, and it seems to be very similar to the desktop version. Customizable, and no registration required. I was looking at a grid of programs as soon as I inputted my cable/zip code.

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: Ken Sp.
Date: March 26, 2017 10:52AM
wurm
I've checked google. I've checked the iTunes app store. Lots of apps that do a lot, and it seems the more they do, the lower the rating. So....

I'm looking for a very simple grid-type app where I can quickly check what's on TV today on what channel. I just want to look at a grid that shows a block of time, a list of stations I can get and what shows are on at that time. I don't want video previews. I don't need to set up Favorites or reminders. I don't need to know what's on Premium stations. I don't even care about searching for particular shows. And I'd like to do it on my iPhone.

Does anything like that exist?

Who provides your TV coverage? Is it a service or are you simply using over the air antenna?
Date: March 26, 2017 10:53AM
That was the first one I checked, Rick-o, as I have and like the Desktop version as well. I didn't download the iOS version because of the low rating and negative reviews. Maybe I'll give it a try anyway. If it's that bad, I suppose I can just delete it.
Date: March 26, 2017 10:55AM
Ken Sp.

Who provides your TV coverage? Is it a service or are you simply using over the air antenna?

We have Verizon FiOS, but the TV in the kitchen has no Guide as it's just a converter box.
Posted by: Ken Sp.
Date: March 26, 2017 11:07AM
wurm
Ken Sp.

We have Verizon FiOS, but the TV in the kitchen has no Guide as it's just a converter box.
Doesn't Verizon offer an app that gives you the TV Guide for your other box?
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: March 26, 2017 11:08AM
Nobody makes one that does what you want because all the money is in doing it the way the providers/advertisers want.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Date: March 26, 2017 11:19AM
Ken Sp.
wurm
Ken Sp.

Doesn't Verizon offer an app that gives you the TV Guide for your other box?

Not that I've found on their site. Or at least not one without a bunch of other crap that clutters everything up. Its main design seems to be to allow me to record and/or watch my content remotely. Guess I'll look more closely at that one.
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: March 26, 2017 12:18PM
Rick-o
Check out Titan TV. I use the desktop version, and I just grabbed the iOS version, and it seems to be very similar to the desktop version. Customizable, and no registration required. I was looking at a grid of programs as soon as I inputted my cable/zip code.

I keep getting this on the Desktop version but it still works to a degree.

"this page requires AC_RunActiveContent.js."

Grateful11
Date: March 26, 2017 12:19PM
wurm
Ken Sp.

Same with the TV in the bedroom, we have a little converter box but no Guide at all. They dropped the scrolling TV Guide channel.

Grateful11
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: March 26, 2017 12:41PM
Grateful11
Rick-o

I haven't ever seen that, and I run Titan on both Safari and Firefox. Have you tried a different browser?

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: fmgtech
Date: March 26, 2017 01:00PM
I use TV Zap2it. Not sure if there is an ios version.
Posted by: space-time
Date: March 26, 2017 02:12PM
I like the DirecTV Now guide. That's about all I like about DTVN.
Date: March 26, 2017 06:31PM
Rick-o
Grateful11
Rick-o

I haven't ever seen that, and I run Titan on both Safari and Firefox. Have you tried a different browser?

I use Chrome 99.99% of the time. I tired it with Safari and I didn't get that warning with it.

Grateful11
Posted by: $tevie
Date: March 26, 2017 09:52PM
I use the TV Guide app. I don't know what the reviews say, but you can ignore every one of its features and just open it and click on the grid and see what's on TV. I use the Alert to remind me of particular programs that I want to see, like a certain episode of Frontline or whatever, but seriously you don't have to do anything if you don't want to.

Posted by: pqrst
Date: March 26, 2017 10:22PM
My local newspaper has a tv channel guide on their website.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Z
Guests: 80
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020