advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Favorite handgun?
Posted by: Black Tea
Date: March 28, 2017 04:12PM
I'm in the market for a new handgun, it's for home protection, wondering what the nice folk at MacResource prefer.

Thanks
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Favorite handgun?
Posted by: jdc
Date: March 28, 2017 04:20PM
Id prob say a shotgun over a handgun for home protection

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: fmgtech
Date: March 28, 2017 04:31PM
I have a Glock 19.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: March 28, 2017 04:33PM
i'd say a breech loader
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: March 28, 2017 04:36PM

Matching shoulder holster makes concealed carry a breeze
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: March 28, 2017 04:39PM
`that hipster should wear socks while working.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: March 28, 2017 04:43PM
It depends on if you are planning shooting unarmed African-Americans, Dreamers, or packing rednecks with body armor.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: msglee
Date: March 28, 2017 04:44PM
1911A1

[azweaponcraftprepper.com]
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: March 28, 2017 05:02PM
For home protection (I assume you mean inside the home) -- Sawed off 16 or 20 gauge shotgun, pump action. plenty of stopping power for close in work, not as much penetration through the wall. A bullet travels much further and can go through several interior walls - do you want to worry about hitting a family member two bedrooms away when you miss and the bullet carries? Even if you miss completely and shoot through a window, the shot will be pretty much spent by the time it gets to the neighbors house. Additionally the racking sound of a pump action will send any sane intruder running.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Posted by: DP
Date: March 28, 2017 05:09PM
Ombligo
For home protection (I assume you mean inside the home) -- Sawed off 16 or 20 gauge shotgun, pump action. plenty of stopping power for close in work, not as much penetration through the wall. A bullet travels much further and can go through several interior walls - do you want to worry about hitting a family member two bedrooms away when you miss and the bullet carries? Even if you miss completely and shoot through a window, the shot will be pretty much spent by the time it gets to the neighbors house. Additionally the racking sound of a pump action will send any sane intruder running.

This. Only thing I'd add is it's not necessary to shorten the barrel as there are plenty of shotguns made for home protection that are shorter.

A throwback image to celebrate Autumn.

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: March 28, 2017 05:11PM
Whatever handgun you are comfortable firing, in whatever caliber is at the upper end of your comfort level for firing.

A .38 revolver is a good choice.
So is a 1911.
Or a glock.

It depends on your willingness to get training on how to safely handle, and accurately fire, said handgun.
If you're not willing and able, don't.
If you are, choose what works best for you.
There's no single magic "best" handgun.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: msglee
Date: March 28, 2017 05:21PM
The best weapon, is the one you can get to, when you need it.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: March 28, 2017 05:25PM
You really need to go to a range that has "rental" pistols, and try some out. Everyone has different feel to them for the most part. Revolvers are the most idiot-proof and reliable. A .357 Magnum revolver can also fire .38 Special ammunition, which is cheaper and a great practice load. Much better for practice.

I would also look into a hundgun safety class. This will give you experience and knowledge in the pistol types as well. If you don't plan on carrying it outside your domicile, you shouldn't be required to have a concealed weapons permit. But I would get one if possible, in case your needs and desires change. Look into requirements for the permit before the class, as some permits require training class.

I'll be happy to answer any more "touchy" or controversial questions in PMs. If that is something you are interested in. I am NOT an expert, but I have carried concealed for over 20 years.

It is my VERY FIRM BELIEF that if the firearm isn't within your reach, it needs to be locked up somehow. Mine are on me, in my vehicle with me, or locked up. PERIOD! I do have 2 that are not in my safe, but vital parts are, so what is outside the safe is a club.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2017 05:31PM by Racer X.
Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: March 28, 2017 05:26PM
shotgun
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: March 28, 2017 05:30PM
DP
Ombligo

This. Only thing I'd add is it's not necessary to shorten the barrel as there are plenty of shotguns made for home protection that are shorter.

Double this. I wouldn't want to shoot innocent neighbors with a high powered weapon capable of traveling through several walls.

That said, My shotgun of choice is a 12 gauge pump Bullpup. It has plenty of shells to fend off any threat, plus the barrel is really short. Legally short, that is.

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: March 28, 2017 05:31PM
I'd say get the "Judge". This handgun chambers both .410 shotshells and .45 Colt rounds. Unless you're a seasoned shooter who practices relentlessly under duress, in a SHtF situation you can expect your ability to accurately aim a gun to figuratively, perhaps literally, go out the window. The solution is lots and lots of lead. The FBI found that in instances where their agents had to fire their weapons in the field their hit ratio plummeted compared to their qualification scores. The standard issue sidearm used to be .40cal but was switched to .9mm because they could have more rounds in the magazine. If your ability to aim plummets, the capacity for more ammo becomes of supreme importance. In a home situation though, I'd think that if you can't deter an intruder with 5 .410 shotshells then your chances aren't too good anyway. My 2¢.

[www.taurususa.com]

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: March 28, 2017 05:40PM
What sort of kick does the judge have with a 410 load?

410's arent big, but that looks to be around a 3" barrel; I can see it twisting out of someones grip

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Date: March 28, 2017 05:49PM
You will know it went off, but certainly not as bad as a .357 Magnum load.

The Taurus Judge became so popular, that Smith and Wesson makes a Governor version of a .45 LC/.410
Posted by: mattkime
Date: March 28, 2017 05:50PM
What are you protecting yourself from?

Date: March 28, 2017 06:25PM
mattkime
What are you protecting yourself from?

That wsa gonna be my second question.

I suppose "moving" is not an option?

Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: March 28, 2017 06:32PM
SIG Sauer P229R DAK (in either .357 SIG or .40 S&W) with LaserMax sight.

For a revolver, the Charter Arms Bulldog Mdl #14420 in .44 Special (the .357Mag version is like a hand cannon, not for the weak!).

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

DuckDuckGo
The search engine that doesn't track you.

DemComm Records 2021 Greatest Hits
includes:
Taxman by Joe & Nancy's Rich Ice Cream Band
The Humpty Dance by The Harris-Brown Hookup
Lets Spend The Night Together by The Fang-Swalwell Gang
Díaz-Canel Is A Friend of Ours by The AOC Squad
My Old Kentucky Retirement Home by MitchMcC & The Soggy Boxer Boys
Burning Down The House by Merrick & The Goons
Back In the USSR by Bernie's Red Square Trio

patriot smiley
Posted by: fauch
Date: March 28, 2017 06:39PM
Tec-9 of course!!

Seriously, I second the notion of trying a few guns out and seeing which you like the best. It's a very personal subjective item, you need to find what works for YOU...
Posted by: Bernie
Date: March 28, 2017 06:47PM
Home defense
Sheetrock walls
I would suggest a Judge or Govenor.
I have fired them but do not own one.
Sig for the glovebox but a Judge for the night stand

Staunton, Virginia
Posted by: billb
Date: March 28, 2017 07:07PM
I'd move.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: SDGuy
Date: March 28, 2017 07:32PM
If your heart is set on a handgun, I would recommend getting a revolver, in at least .357 magnum (can always use .38 spl in it if you feel like it).

reason 1:
spring fatigue - your home defense weapon will likely be laying around loaded and unused for years. From personal experience, magazine springs get weaker over years (well, 15-20 or so) from just sitting there compressed. I suppose you could get into some sort of preventative maintenance rotation of magazines, but given human nature, I'd bet you'd soon forget or get lazy with that.

reason 2:
reliability - yes, semi-autos are generally very reliable, but jams DO happen. The way things work, I'd expect that to happen at the worst possible time.

reason 3:
you can get a levergun in the same caliber and double the fun : )

Beyond that, I'd also follow Racer X's advice and try out potential models at a rental range. They all may look the same, but guaranteed they will "feel" different to you, have different trigger pulls, sights, ergonomics, etc.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2017 09:28PM by SDGuy.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: March 28, 2017 07:44PM
first we try the old pea shooter...

then we come back across the pond for some Yankee ingenuity...

and if that doesn't work, slow 'em down w/ this, Oregon's finest...

if they're still movin' and threatnin', the next go to is...

with a mag full of this...

then, they probably don't wanna get a bite from this;

with a clip of these bad boys...

then, finally...

run like hell!
==

Actually, if the neuro crud wasn't so invasive, and I could shoot, a 9mm Sig Sauer P228 in stainless would be nice, as would a Ruger Mark III Hunter, but for home use, a short barreled Mark III would be desirable. Still waiting for more reviews on the Mark IV, but gonna assume the Mark III is more affordable. Had a Mark I back in the 1960's, so it's a familiar feel. I know there are schools of thought as to getting a lot of lead downrange, as well as maxing out what you can handle, contrasted with not accidentally shooting friends and family through walls. It depends on your level of competence as to what the right choice is gonna be. Get a bunch of training/practice before making a final decision.
///
Date: March 28, 2017 08:57PM
My Sig is much like the Walter PPK

I have two, one shinney and one black. Both have the Crimson Trace laser grips.

Staunton, Virginia
Posted by: JoeBob
Date: March 28, 2017 08:58PM
Glock 19 for me, Rossi 38 revolver for the Mrs.
I am comfortable with the Glock, used to shoot them competitively (Model 17).
Posted by: davemchine
Date: March 28, 2017 08:59PM
Ever since a drunk young man tried to get into my house one New Year's Eve several years ago I have had this very question on my mind. He threw things at our house and threaten to do terrible things if he could get inside. I had just gone through my first back surgery and was in no shape to fight with someone. Fortunately the police came quickly. The very next day the young man showed up at my house with three of his friends to encourage me to drop charges. I figured I was toast but after refusing they got back in their car and left. I called the police again. He ended up serving time.

Like others have suggested I went to the gun range and tried several different guns. Right away I decided to only consider good quality guns vs what might be considered a entry level gun. Reliability would be very important and as mentioned above I knew it might sit unused for periods of time. A friend encouraged me to go with the largest callibre possible but I think the best gun is the one I can accurately fire. I also felt like a laser sight and a gun safe would be essential but also more expensive. I have not made my purchase yet but thought sharing my experience might be helpful.

Ukulele music I couldn't find anywhere else
[colquhoun.info]
Posted by: wave rider
Date: March 28, 2017 09:53PM
You all know that "Black Tea" is trolling you...

Black Tea
I'm in the market for a new handgun, it's for home protection, wondering what the nice folk at MacResource prefer.

Thanks

=wr=
Posted by: testcase
Date: March 28, 2017 10:06PM
I am happy to see you're asking questions BUT, there are too many good possibles and, you haven't provided near enough information about your needs and capabilities for us to make valid recommendations. old fogey smiley

Firearms, once purchased, are generally a "final sale" and cannot be returned. Any quality firearm is not going to be cheap so, it's important to choose wisely. Do you have friends who can take you to a range and allow you to try their handgun(s)? Often overlooked is ergonomics (is a candidate handgun a good fit for your hand?). Having a handgun that is NOT a "good fit" will make it more difficult to hit your intended target. In the Springfield, MA area, S&W (Smith & Wesson) has a modern indoor range. You can rent different S&W handguns and, actually fire them there. In other locations, it might be legal for gun shops to rent handguns for use on their ranges. $100 or so spent testing candidate handguns could be a very wise investment. In NY, it's illegal to rent handguns.

Keep asking questions; try to let us know more about just what you want to do (home defense is too general). Major brands like S&W, Ruger, Glock, Sig, Walther, Beretta and others all turn out high quality handguns.

What (if any) are the requirements for possessing a handgun where you live? If a permit/license is required, do you already have said document? If not, are you eligible to get one? Just acquiring a firearm is not enough. Firearm ownership does NOT automatically confer competence. Are you ready, willing and able to get some quality training?
Date: March 28, 2017 10:07PM
Gun Safe and Rifle Safe.

Laser because bifocals suck and a red or green dot on the chest may be all the deterrent you need.

Staunton, Virginia
Date: March 28, 2017 10:52PM
Still a shotgun for home defense. You dont even need to aim that well or put on glasses.

But moving would still be my first option.

Posted by: mattkime
Date: March 28, 2017 11:07PM
I think you should set traps!

Date: March 28, 2017 11:09PM
jdc
Still a shotgun for home defense. You dont even need to aim that well or put on glasses.

But moving would still be my first option.

You are kidding, right? Have you EVER patterned a shotgun and seen the spread and shot density at different distances? Or do you just watch a lot of TV and movies?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2017 11:10PM by Racer X.
Date: March 28, 2017 11:50PM
Well, too many variables. Figure 15 -20 ft? so maybe a 10" circle? Even if you only got them with a few pellets the blast and the stinging would be more than enough to deter?

Ive never physically patterned one, but shot plenty. Lots of exploding fruit.

I do watch a lot of TV and movies, although cant remember the last one with a shotgun. =)

Posted by: cbelt3
Date: March 29, 2017 12:04AM
s&W model 41 with the long barrel and muzzle brake. I can empty the mag into the paper at 50 feet with no real practice.

For home defense I call 911.
If they are busy a double barrel shotgun is my go to.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: March 29, 2017 12:18AM
As to ergonomics... if you test a bunch of quality guns, and find something that feels good, balance-wise, but the grips are too rough, smooth, hard, soft, finger grooves not quite right, etc.; there are aftermarket grips that can make a world of difference for just a few bucks. I have large hands, and back when I could still shoot, I modded a Pachmayr Presentation grip for a Ruger Redhawk to fit a S&W 686 because it was beefier around the top portion of the grip. The hotter the loads were, the more difference the better fitting grip made. So just keep in mind that if it's close, but not quite what you want/need, there are options. Good luck.
==
Posted by: blooz
Date: March 29, 2017 12:44AM
Paul F.
It depends on your willingness to get training on how to safely handle, and accurately fire, said handgun.
If you're not willing and able, don't.

Paul knows it.

And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once.
—Friedrich Nietzsche
Western Massachusetts
Posted by: max
Date: March 29, 2017 01:24AM
Nothing deters better than a sound of 12 gauge being racked.

HK-4 for a back up....
Date: March 29, 2017 10:07AM
Thanks for all the great answers.

Shotgun is out, my wife is too tiny to handle one.
Posted by: testcase
Date: March 29, 2017 10:58AM
"For home defense I call 911"

Yeah, when seconds count, police are only minutes away (maybe)..........
Posted by: archipirata
Date: March 29, 2017 11:00AM
Dual purpose for me with a Baretta Nano, easily close at hand for home use (easily placed in a small locked biometric safe) but also very easily carried concealed should the need ever arise.

Athens, OH
Posted by: billb
Date: March 29, 2017 11:08AM
you'll put your eye out

or something

enough can't be said about proper attire and staying fit

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: March 29, 2017 01:38PM
Heh! "READ MANUAL BEFORE USE"

archipirata
Dual purpose for me with a Baretta Nano, easily close at hand for home use (easily placed in a small locked biometric safe) but also very easily carried concealed should the need ever arise.

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Date: March 29, 2017 01:44PM
The Nano looks nifty, I'll have to take my wife shooting next weekend and see how she likes it.

Thanks
Posted by: Speedy
Date: March 29, 2017 03:25PM
I hire out my home defense to the local police department. They never fail me.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: max
Date: March 29, 2017 04:52PM
Speedy
I hire out my home defense to the local police department. They never fail me.

already discussed....

testcase
"For home defense I call 911"

Yeah, when seconds count, police are only minutes away (maybe)..........
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: March 29, 2017 07:45PM
archipirata

That's a collector's gun, "Accokeek, MD" stamped. Made before MD's wannabe POTUS, prior guv chased Baretta away.
But a win for Al Gore & Tennessee!!

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

DuckDuckGo
The search engine that doesn't track you.

DemComm Records 2021 Greatest Hits
includes:
Taxman by Joe & Nancy's Rich Ice Cream Band
The Humpty Dance by The Harris-Brown Hookup
Lets Spend The Night Together by The Fang-Swalwell Gang
Díaz-Canel Is A Friend of Ours by The AOC Squad
My Old Kentucky Retirement Home by MitchMcC & The Soggy Boxer Boys
Burning Down The House by Merrick & The Goons
Back In the USSR by Bernie's Red Square Trio

patriot smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2017 07:52PM by MrNoBody.
Posted by: GeneL
Date: March 29, 2017 08:25PM
Rick-o
DP
Ombligo

Double this. I wouldn't want to shoot innocent neighbors with a high powered weapon capable of traveling through several walls.

That said, My shotgun of choice is a 12 gauge pump Bullpup. It has plenty of shells to fend off any threat, plus the barrel is really short. Legally short, that is.

I googled the Bullpup and watched several u-tube videos. I thought it was impressive, but I wonder how it or anything similar would work for me. It doesn't look like something that I could just leave out where it would be handy when needed.

As impressive as it seems to be, I'm not sure that this weapon would be a good choice for me.

I appeciate reading this thread and enjoyed the variety of comments. Based on my finances, I don't have a clear idea as to what would fit both my needs for security and my budget. With cost as a factor, what would you gun mavens recommend?

gl @ Dana Point, CA
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 124
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020