advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
"It looks like you're using an ad blocker" - no go
Posted by: Buck
Date: March 28, 2017 11:46PM
Many more sites are using this system. Poof! Click! Gone! I just send them packing and find it somewhere else. If I can't, it wasn't that important anyway.

What a way to turn people off.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: "It looks like you're using an ad blocker" - no go
Posted by: freeradical
Date: March 28, 2017 11:53PM
I use the QuickJava plugin with Firefox

[addons.mozilla.org]

It allows to turn Java, JS, or Flash on or off in the menu bar.

Turn JS off, and then reload the page...
Posted by: blooz
Date: March 28, 2017 11:55PM
Ditto. It's too much bother to turn off the blocker.
What i realy want is a blocker for those windows that pop up before you have a chance to read an article, saying something like "subscribe now!"

And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once.
—Friedrich Nietzsche
Western Massachusetts
Posted by: davester
Date: March 29, 2017 12:13AM
What's the problem? Crap sites that do this you shouldn't bother looking at anyway. High quality journalism has to be paid for somehow so you need to either give the high quality sites money or allow them to post ads. It's not that complicated. Better to look at high quality sites that have ads than to look at the garbage or propaganda sites that are free.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2017 12:14AM by davester.
Posted by: freeradical
Date: March 29, 2017 01:22AM
blooz
Ditto. It's too much bother to turn off the blocker.
What i realy want is a blocker for those windows that pop up before you have a chance to read an article, saying something like "subscribe now!"

Oh, those modal overlays. Yep, they suck big time. When I get one nowadays, I give them a disposable email addy from 10minute mail. Bonus points if they send me an activation email, then I know I've stuck them with a dead email addy in their database...devil smiley
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: March 29, 2017 01:38AM
Buck
Many more sites are using this system. Poof! Click! Gone! I just send them packing and find it somewhere else. If I can't, it wasn't that important anyway.

I like your style!
Posted by: Pam
Date: March 29, 2017 06:02AM
Ads are fine, but they often come with trackers. That I do not like. Display all the ads you want, but don't interact with me.
Posted by: Fritz
Date: March 29, 2017 06:38AM
I tuned off the auto play with something that someone here referred to.
Drove me batty.

!#$@@$#!
Posted by: sekker
Date: March 29, 2017 06:40AM
Content isn't free you know.

I wrestle with ads and ad blockers, trying to whitelist sites I use a lot.
Posted by: GuyGene
Date: March 29, 2017 10:21AM
That's what I do, sekker. But I mostly never go to sites that use pop ups and that email add thingamajig. Mac Daily News is a site I had to white list because I like it for Mac news.

That old man - he don't think like no old man...
Now I wouldn't want to be within 400 - 500 yards of one of them nuclear bombs when it goes off! WW1 Vet Old Man
"He's pinned under an outcropping of rock. Lucky for him, the rock kept the dirt from burying him alive."
If idiots could fly, this place would be an airport. And I'd be a TSA agent.
A bonified member of The Mystic Knights of The Sea, George P. Stevens, President. Andy Brown, Treasurer, Algonquin J. Calhoun, Legal Consultant.
Posted by: Buck
Date: March 29, 2017 10:29AM
sekker
Content isn't free you know.

I want my cake and eat it too.

Oh wait. Carbs!
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: March 29, 2017 10:49AM
Content isn't free. I'm willing to put up with ads - to a point.
When ads are now plastered OVER the content, so I have to brush them aside, now we're past that point, and I no longer care about the content enough to put up with the ads.

Just like when magazines went from 1/4 of the page being ads, to a 1/3 of the page, to more than 1/2 the page.... at that point, I quit reading them.

Or when a "one hour" TV show used to be 43 minutes of content... then it was 38 minutes... then it dropped to 35 minutes. I quit watching it on broadcast TV, and started using time-shifted recording to eliminate the commercials.

As long as the Ad industry doesn't understand this tolerance point, they're going to keep losing to people who just shut them off.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: GuyGene
Date: March 29, 2017 10:53AM
agree smiley Paul.

Except some of the TV ads are so much better than the shows.

That old man - he don't think like no old man...
Now I wouldn't want to be within 400 - 500 yards of one of them nuclear bombs when it goes off! WW1 Vet Old Man
"He's pinned under an outcropping of rock. Lucky for him, the rock kept the dirt from burying him alive."
If idiots could fly, this place would be an airport. And I'd be a TSA agent.
A bonified member of The Mystic Knights of The Sea, George P. Stevens, President. Andy Brown, Treasurer, Algonquin J. Calhoun, Legal Consultant.
Posted by: fmgtech
Date: March 29, 2017 11:07AM
Cult of Mac web site has a slightly different approach. Even with ad blocker on they fade to a full web page ad for about 10 seconds. Cult of Mac has become so slow and full of ads I hardly ever read it anymore.
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: March 29, 2017 11:54AM
Paul F.
Content isn't free. I'm willing to put up with ads - to a point.
When ads are now plastered OVER the content, so I have to brush them aside, now we're past that point, and I no longer care about the content enough to put up with the ads.

Just like when magazines went from 1/4 of the page being ads, to a 1/3 of the page, to more than 1/2 the page.... at that point, I quit reading them.

Or when a "one hour" TV show used to be 43 minutes of content... then it was 38 minutes... then it dropped to 35 minutes. I quit watching it on broadcast TV, and started using time-shifted recording to eliminate the commercials.

As long as the Ad industry doesn't understand this tolerance point, they're going to keep losing to people who just shut them off.

I agree. However, TV ads are not quite that long. '60s Star Trek episodes on Blu-Ray are 51-52 minutes long (only 8 minutes of ads when broadcast!). More recent "1 hour" shows are about 42 minutes long, about double the ad time.

However, the popover ads on the web are appalling. While I don't like video ads, those can be suppressed by the tip posted here recently (thanks!!).

Another tip to remove ads from some sites almost completely is to emulate viewing on a portable device by narrowing the browser window until the content rewraps, expecting a portable screen size. The viewable content isn't much narrower and is usually the same width, it's just the ads which are removed. This works on roughly half of sites and all it requires is resizing a window, easy.
Posted by: fauch
Date: April 02, 2017 08:02PM
Someone must think it is "worth it" to sacrifice that traffic in order to serve up the ads or so many sites wouldn't do it. I find it hard to believe it is a profitable move. Certainly not long term.

If a site with decent content ASKS me to whitelist, I MIGHT. If it gives me an ultimatum, CLICK...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 85
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020