advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Amazon Eating Malls.... end game of the Retail apocalypse !
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: May 05, 2017 01:32PM
[www.clevescene.com]

"Euclid Square Mall's last store closed in 2006. Since then, Euclid-area church congregations have met and worshiped in the vacant space, but not much else has gone on. Grass has sprouted from the cracks in the parking lot. Dust has settled in its unlit corridors. And now the once bustling space, built in the 1970s and totally shuttered last fall, may finally meet its end.

An Atlanta-area developer wants to bulldoze the property and start fresh with a gigantic 650,000- to 1-million-square-foot building, documents show. Perhaps a major company like Amazon will start a distribution center here"

More information:
Amazon is opening a smaller DC just across the road this year.
Unemployment in the immediate area is 6.1%, compared to a state average of 4.9%. People who live around here are generally lower income, so Amazon warehouse pay rates would be... acceptable in many cases. It would be an employment boon for the area, as well as a boost in tax income to a struggling inner ring suburb of Cleveland.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Amazon Eating Malls.... end game of the Retail apocalypse !
Posted by: Acer
Date: May 05, 2017 01:47PM
Some of it is Amazon, and some of it is changing shopping tastes. Open strip-malls are springing up everywhere here and seem successful. One enclosed mall has opened in Pittsburgh area in the last twenty years, and the poor thing has never been near full, and sold for a song recently. Meanwhile, the Super Walmart/Lowes/Franchise-plex right across the street is booming.

I grew up going to Rolling Acres mall, south of you in Akron, and that one collapsed in the 1990s well before Amazon.
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: May 05, 2017 02:05PM
I think about food too much.

I thought the headline for the post meant Amazon was planning giant malls that were all food court and no stores.

And I was very excited.

Posted by: TLB
Date: May 05, 2017 02:42PM
The switch seems to be to fake village multiuse properties. Kind of upscale urban areas planted in suburbia, with shopping, eating and residential modeled on Main Street of yore.
Posted by: vision63
Date: May 05, 2017 03:29PM
Amazon was allowed to exist for multiple decades not collecting taxes while Brick and Mortar stores were forced to do just that at a clear competitive disadvantage. I just don't see how that was ever fair. Amazon is worse than WalMart. Amazon is a great business however.
Posted by: testcase
Date: May 05, 2017 04:28PM
I'll be in Dayton, OH in two weeks for my third Hamvention. I was shocked the first year (2015) when I saw how many derelict malls there were in the Dayton area.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: May 05, 2017 05:19PM
vision63
Amazon was allowed to exist for multiple decades not collecting taxes while Brick and Mortar stores were forced to do just that at a clear competitive disadvantage. I just don't see how that was ever fair. Amazon is worse than WalMart. Amazon is a great business however.

Kind of hard for them to have done that for "multiple decades", Amazon has only been selling since 1995. They had always collected sales tax for sales in states that they had a physical presence in, just like they were required by law. Though to be fair, they were a bit creative about setting up subsidiaries to claim they didn't have a physical presence in some states longer than was the actual case.

But by a few years ago they had presences in almost every state, currently they collect sales tax for every state that does have one. They just don't collect it from the few states that do not have a sales tax.
Posted by: BernDog
Date: May 05, 2017 05:25PM
Blankity Blank

I thought the headline for the post meant Amazon was planning giant malls that were all food court and no stores.

And I was very excited.

I was right there with you.
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: May 05, 2017 06:44PM
vision63

Not Anazon's fault. The law didn't require it. Technically it still doesn't, they just have a presence in all the states now.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Posted by: Acer
Date: May 05, 2017 06:54PM
Remember, you owe the sales tax even if the seller didn't collect it. Technically Amazon wasn't the tax dodger here. We all were. And it was awesome.
Posted by: freeradical
Date: May 05, 2017 08:52PM
Acer
Remember, you owe the sales tax even if the seller didn't collect it. Technically Amazon wasn't the tax dodger here. We all were. And it was awesome.

Yeah, in California, there used to be a place on the tax forms where you were supposed to provide "use tax" information for stuff you bought from out of state.

I bet they got a lot of takers there...
Posted by: vision63
Date: May 06, 2017 09:52AM
C(-)ris
vision63

Not Anazon's fault. The law didn't require it. Technically it still doesn't, they just have a presence in all the states now.

Amazon has deployed lobbyists and strategic political spending from its early days. I'm politically allied with Jeff Bezos in general. But just not with their desire for extended tax exemptions. Yes, eventually in order to properly expand, they strategically accepted full tax inclusion because they were poised to strike with an intimate local distribution strategy. Their prolonged tax holiday unfairly damaged retail.

I'm not saying those dinosaurs would'nt have fumbled the ball anyway, but the the refs weren't calling the game properly.

Don't think they were just laying in the cut enjoying being exempt from collecting taxes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/06/2017 09:53AM by vision63.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 522
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020