advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Best browser, again...I need to know
Posted by: GuyGene
Date: June 01, 2017 02:19PM
Well, I've been fairly happily using Safari since it came out, also Opera, everything except Vilvadi and Chrome, but just now, I had a bad experience with Safari that made me start browser searching. Safari caused me a few lost hours last week and today because it did not work on a government site I needed to work on! Oh a whim, I opened Opera, voila, got the job done! Alas, Chinese company bought Opera and I found some unseemly things about the company, so deleted Opera. Some of y'all know that I have worked hard to avoid all things goog for a long time, but dagnabbedit, Chrome keeps getting good reviews. My main concern is security about goog stuff. I use IPVanish VPN, but want to stay away from goog if possible.

What about Vilvadi? Anybody here use it? And I'll take assurances on Chrome too... (barf smiley)

That old man - he don't think like no old man...
Now I wouldn't want to be within 400 - 500 yards of one of them nuclear bombs when it goes off! WW1 Vet Old Man
"He's pinned under an outcropping of rock. Lucky for him, the rock kept the dirt from burying him alive."
If idiots could fly, this place would be an airport. And I'd be a TSA agent.
A bonified member of The Mystic Knights of The Sea, George P. Stevens, President. Andy Brown, Treasurer, Algonquin J. Calhoun, Legal Consultant.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Best browser, again...I need to know
Posted by: Robert M
Date: June 01, 2017 02:25PM
Guy,

Sorry to say that I've yet to find one single browser that does the job. Safari, Firefox, Opera, Chrome, you name it. Each has an issue of some kind that keeps me from using it entirely. In fact, Safari is the only browser that handles UPS labels the way I want them. None of the alternatives do the job properly. But, Safari cannot seem to plug login info into the correct fields of UPS's web site. Not an issue with other browsers. Argh!

Robert
Posted by: mattkime
Date: June 01, 2017 02:25PM
Chrome works well for me.

Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: June 01, 2017 02:28PM
....do you mean someone who browses fastest or most accurate.......what about the guy from the Fedex commercial from the 80's who spoke really fast.....???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: June 01, 2017 02:56PM
Right, Robert, that's exactly what I've found. I used to have about every Mac browser made, all of them, even iCab (remember it?). I slimmed down to just Safari and Opera a few years ago, and Opera just now allowed me to do what I needed on that site, but don't like that a communist country's company bought it. matt, Chrome, eh? I know, I know... Chrome... oh me... maybe I'll weaken down and cough, cough, gag, cough, install it...

Now I wouldn't want to be within 400 - 500 yards of one of them nuclear bombs when it goes off! WW1 Vet Old Man
"He's pinned under an outcropping of rock. Lucky for him, the rock kept the dirt from burying him alive."
A bonified member of The Mystic Knights of The Sea, George P. Stevens, President. Andy Brown, Treasurer, Algonquin J. Calhoun, Legal Consultant.
Posted by: jdc
Date: June 01, 2017 03:06PM
The google thing is overblown IMHO. WTF are they gonna 'steal' from you anyway? your browsing history?

as of 1/2017: [www.zdnet.com]

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: hal
Date: June 01, 2017 03:17PM
I'm still waiting for someone to show me how using google can damage me. I ask pointedly every now and then and no one has anything to offer - just fear.

As far as I can tell, the most dangerous thing google can do is direct ads at me in a specific way. I use adblockers so I don't see them. Anything else?

All that said, FF has been my #1 for YEARS, but it has been failing me (drag and drop dies and I can't figure our how/why - relaunch fixes, but it's annoying)

I tried to replace it with Opera, but I don't like the way Opera works (can't ID tabs because they are so tiny). Tried Vivaldi - it has the same issue that is causing me to leave FF.

I'm thinking of elevating Chrome to #1. I do all of my ebay/paypal stuff on safari and it does well, but I like to do everything else on a #1 browser.
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: June 01, 2017 03:18PM
GuyGene
Well, I've been fairly happily using Safari since it came out, also Opera, everything except Vilvadi and Chrome, but just now, I had a bad experience with Safari that made me start browser searching. Safari caused me a few lost hours last week and today because it did not work on a government site I needed to work on!

Lame site. Safari is standards-compliant.

Chrome keeps getting good reviews

Nope. It's a well-known resource hog among other things. And then there's stuff like this:

[www.bleepingcomputer.com]
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: June 01, 2017 03:50PM
....well if you are logged in to your Google account while browsing.....they can tracking your searching habits.......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: June 01, 2017 04:12PM
NewtonMP2100
....well if you are logged in to your Google account while browsing.....they can tracking your searching habits.......

And so?

Posted by: AllGold
Date: June 01, 2017 04:18PM
jdc

Hmm, I'm surprised Firefox is so far down on the list.

Posted by: testcase
Date: June 01, 2017 04:43PM
All browsers let you down eventually (some more often than others). I currently have SIX browsers in my Dock (Chrome, Firefox, Maxthon, Opera, Safari, and Tor). I didn't know that Opera had been purchased by the Chinese. I seem to have the fewest issues using Chrome but, it's NICE to be able to try a different browser with just one click.
Date: June 01, 2017 05:50PM
Right all, good points, and I thank you! Well, right now, I am typing using Vivaldi, so far, so good. Like testcase, Robert, etc., I have always used about every browser I could find, so know most of them fairly well, and have gone back and forth, until they stopped Camino, FireFox changed so much, Opera got sold out, SeaMonkey seemed to not be updated, etc. I don't care about my browsing history, just don't like ads, and use an ad blocker. Article says Chrome is a memory hog, I forgot I also read that. Anyway, there are things that stick in my old head about why not to use Chrome, not just the goog part. I cannot remember, but once I read something that causes a red flag, I seem to remember it. Can't remember much else.old fogey smiley

I'll keep trying this Vilvadi a few days to see if it messes up. It kind of looks good.

Oh, Article, you said it was a lame site. I know, it is a VA site I must access for various things. That's when Safari caused me so much trouble! I was surprised that Safari cost me about 6 hours plus delaying what I needed to do by a week! That's a bit intolerable.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2017 05:52PM by GuyGene.
Date: June 01, 2017 06:03PM
Cant beleive everything you read on the internet.

Posted by: Pat
Date: June 01, 2017 08:00PM
Best browser(s) for me are TenFourFox and Leopard WebKit.
Posted by: Bernie
Date: June 01, 2017 08:25PM
Safari
Firefox
Chrome
Bravo
Opera

Chrome has privacy Goolge issues but works okay.
Bravo is like having Little Snitch on steroids and need to be trained.
Opera just is not what it once was and no reason to fight it. I am playing with Bravo instead.

Staunton, Virginia
Date: June 01, 2017 08:37PM
Pat
Best browser(s) for me are TenFourFox and Leopard WebKit.

you're still running PPC?
Posted by: bik
Date: June 01, 2017 08:49PM
AllGold
jdc

Hmm, I'm surprised Firefox is so far down on the list.

Those stats will include mobile, which means default browsers of Chrome on Android and Safari on iPhone.
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: June 02, 2017 06:43AM
I'm still using NCSA Mosaic on my Mac Plus
Posted by: davemchine
Date: June 02, 2017 11:08AM
Safari does the job for me 99% of the time. The way it syncs across all my devices is wonderful. I jump to Firefox for the rare page that doesn't work in safari or if I want to download a video.

Ukulele music I couldn't find anywhere else.
I’ve added some recipes and spiritual thoughts as well.
[colquhoun.info]
Date: June 02, 2017 11:28AM
jdc
Cant beleive everything you read on the internet.

Wow. I believe what yous guys write. smiley-laughing001 I know jdc. Everybody tells lies except for you and me (sometimes I'm not so sure about you peace).

davemachine, that's just the problem! That 1% is what cost me so much time with Safari recently! Enough to make me come here asking this question.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/02/2017 11:30AM by GuyGene.
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: June 02, 2017 12:28PM
Still very happy with Firefox. Never liked Safari much, and in the beginning I really wanted to like it; it took them forever to add a sidebar, which is where I view my bookmarks. The sidebar is great in Firefox, but poorly implemented in Safari (background too dark, lots of pointlessly wasted space).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/02/2017 12:30PM by ka jowct.
Posted by: A-Polly
Date: June 02, 2017 12:46PM
ka jowct
... The sidebar is great in Firefox, but poorly implemented in Safari (background too dark, lots of pointlessly wasted space).

Interesting! My Safari sidebar has a very light gray background, super easy to read. Actually, since I have both open right now, I can see that the sidebar color is almost identical in Firefox, perhaps the gray shade is a tad warmer. Is this a setting that can be changed in either browser? I'm sure I never did.

I keep both Safari and Firefox in the Dock, and alternate between them according to whim.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/02/2017 12:48PM by A-Polly.
Posted by: tlh828
Date: June 03, 2017 06:30AM
I like the Brave browser.
[brave.com]
Date: June 03, 2017 05:04PM
tlh828
I like the Brave browser.
[brave.com]

Wow - what a buggy pos! I tried and it beachballed like crazy
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 109
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020