advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Thrift Store Find
Posted by: msglee
Date: June 30, 2017 01:34PM
Went into my local Thrift Store today. On the floor are 2 Quick Silvers. I opened them up and all 3 ram slots were full, they seemed to be complete and didn't smell burned. The price is $25.00 each.

In the display case are 3 ibooks, 2, 12 inch and 1, 14 inch. They are priced at $125 for the 14 inch and $90 for the 12 inch.

ibooks are very pricey for something you don't know if they work.

I didn't buy any of them, but there was a time I would have liked to have had a Quick Silver.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Thrift Store Find
Posted by: freeradical
Date: June 30, 2017 02:13PM
I'm surprised you found those things. Some thrift stores such as Goodwill now have their own website where they try to auction the "better" stuff off. As is of course.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: June 30, 2017 02:34PM
Yeah, my goodwill is a joke in pricing these sorts of things, one is better off on Craig's list.
Posted by: p8712
Date: June 30, 2017 02:37PM
Incredibly overpriced iBooks. You can get a used macbook for half that.
Posted by: jdc
Date: June 30, 2017 02:37PM
So 2 boat anchors and 3 monitor stands?

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: billb
Date: June 30, 2017 02:42PM
Goodwill and even pawn shops try to get top dollar here. I'm alwasys looking for a chainsaw deal too and they are priced higher than ebay. censored smiley I'm always looking for Nikon stuff on craigslist and prices locally are a joke. ONCE I saw someone with a listing for a D800 and some FF lenses that were 0.66 to 0.50 of list price in nice shape and I didn't move quick enough.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: Speedy
Date: June 30, 2017 02:45PM
Make them an offer.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: June 30, 2017 06:27PM
Closest thing I had to a Quicksilver was a G4 Dual 533Hz DA tower. Nice machine for a good while.
I wanted a Mirror door.

[www.everymac.com]

Grateful11
Posted by: lost in space
Date: June 30, 2017 09:24PM
I was at a school salvage sale with floppy drives for sale. Cheapest were 3.5", next was 5 1/4", and the biggest, the 8" ones, were the most expensive.

Posted by: Racer X
Date: July 01, 2017 12:10AM
Grateful11
Closest thing I had to a Quicksilver was a G4 Dual 533Hz DA tower. Nice machine for a good while.
I wanted a Mirror door.

[www.everymac.com]

I can help you out with that.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: July 01, 2017 02:19AM
I went into MacMall to buy a QS dually, literally on the first day the G4 iLamp hit land, and for whatever reason, Apple shipped a bunch of the G4 iMacs to the MacMall store instead of their warehouse. Though I saw the [in]famous product at MWSF, and of course there was the magazine cover snafu to generate interest, I had not even bothered to put my name on the waiting list for that one. Didn't matter, the store manager and I were on good terms, and she insisted I take one of the top of the line 800MHz models. So in addition to the QS dually, I ended up w/ one of the first iLamps. While I was still in the store, they were packing up the pallets of iMacs to go to the warehouse where they should have been shipped to originally, and the salespeople were scrambling like <insert plural frenetic animal analogy here> to sell them, but the manager wouldn't let them since their pre-sale list vastly exceeded the mis-shipped inventory.

Anyhow, and I'm not sure some sort of karma wasn't  involved, at least initially, the QS dually had all sorts of issues starting after a couple of weeks, and that thing was in and out of the shop for what seemed like forever. Never did get to use it productively until after I had finally long since gotten a MDD dually to use as the main tower. At that point, the G5's were in the wild, so rather than replace the QS dually w/ a top of the line G5 tower, AppleCare opted to rebuild the QS dually from pretty much the ground up, or the case in, to be more literally correct. After the rebuild, the QS dually was amazing, but eventually all its glory was passed on to our own Harbourmaster for rehoming (along w/ a couple of MDD's). IOW, you usually never know what the history of your thrift store finds are, but every time I see a piece of old Mac kit, it conjures up daydreams for what that history might have been, and then another part of the brain has to muster the sense to leave it where it sits.
==
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: July 01, 2017 01:54PM
IMHO, the QS was the most beautiful design from that era of Power Macs and is still one of the most elegant designs today.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Posted by: jdc
Date: July 01, 2017 06:10PM
Just found the prefect use for them.

I like the MDD.

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: decay
Date: July 02, 2017 11:08AM
MDD "windtunnel"

---
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 77
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020