advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
college tours
Posted by: davemchine
Date: July 01, 2017 07:17PM
How many colleges did you or your child tour before enrolling in one? It's that season at our house.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: college tours
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: July 01, 2017 07:29PM
Two and seven.
Posted by: Lizabeth
Date: July 01, 2017 08:04PM
The one I went to...
Posted by: Acer
Date: July 01, 2017 08:32PM
3 or 4
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: July 01, 2017 08:37PM
1 - he got his choice, so didn't bother with the 3 others he applied too. I was happy because it was the most affordable city to live in of the four.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: July 01, 2017 08:57PM
After the word got around, they stopped letting me tour the sorority houses. Very unfair. They discriminated against me because I have no daughters. I aughta sue!
Posted by: DinerDave
Date: July 01, 2017 09:01PM
2 College Fairs

3 Applications

2 Tours

3 Acceptances

Attended and graduated from the most expensive school

Dave

Welcome to Dave's BBQ!

Many have eaten here....

Few have died
Posted by: Michael
Date: July 01, 2017 10:15PM
We did 4 tours.

The university that my kid ended up going to was a bad experience with her first tour. The tour guide was on his phone through much of the tour because it was NFL draft day and he was getting reports from friends. It really turned off my kid and she wasn't interested in the place. My wife and I thought the university was actually a good fit so I called the Registrar and told him we had a bad experience and asked for a redo with his best guide. He was very apologetic and set us up again a month later. It was magic and our kid loved the place and signed up. The difference in the 2 guides was pretty amazing.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: July 01, 2017 10:47PM
I did one (1960's), Baby Buzz went to more than are easily remembered (late 2000's/early 2010's), over twenty, and ended up a college he didn't want to go to, and then didn't put in the effort to transfer, but at least he's gradgadated now.
==
Posted by: mattkime
Date: July 01, 2017 10:50PM
i'm open to hearing otherwise, but I suspect that college tours exist to confirm existing choices by parent and student.

Posted by: sekker
Date: July 01, 2017 10:58PM
I think tours can be an excellent way to see some key aspects of colleges.

We did different tours for our two kids, with different goals in mind.

My son ended up going to where we thought - our local Big10 school.

Our daughter legitimately did not know where she wanted to go, and we ended up excluding 3-4 colleges via our first summer (her Sophomore to Junior year in high school). We then looked at another 3-4 schools her next summer.

What made the most difference for our daughter was to take summer courses at 2 different colleges.
Posted by: rgG
Date: July 01, 2017 11:22PM
Daughter did two. She got into all three schools she applied to, so went with her first choice, one of the two she toured.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Date: July 02, 2017 12:06AM
mattkime
i'm open to hearing otherwise, but I suspect that college tours exist to confirm existing choices by parent and student.

Perhaps if they only went to one, but otherwise, nope.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: July 02, 2017 05:56AM
Three tours but 20+ applications, rejected by about four. Never again. He went to our local Big 10 university where he graduated which is all that matters. Two years later his worthless degree has him working at Target for $15/hour.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: dfilpus
Date: July 02, 2017 09:47AM
Five and one. Second son got a good financial offer from Villanova, went on a tour and that was it.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: July 02, 2017 09:59AM
As an educator, I'm really getting tired of people saying certain degrees are worthless. Education is about opening the mind to new ideas, and learning to think, essentially learning how to learn. It is a life skill that can applied broadly. You know what pre-law means? it means just get a bachelors in whatever you want then law school will do the rest (and bar exam cramming will get you to pass the Bar) -- Pre-med means take lots of math and science, then apply to med-school.

We have turned the idea of higher education into overpriced trade schools. I want employees who can think independently and problem solve. I want them to have people skills, and confidence. I can teach them the business (which I'll likely have to do anyway).

There is nothing wrong or wasteful in a liberal arts degree. The bearer will have a well rounded education that can be applied across the spectrum. With the system in place now, schools are just churning out drones who know how to do one skill and little else. That isn't education - it is indoctrination.

Give me students who have expanded their world, not number crunchers who are afraid to try anything new. We wonder why education has declined - this specialization is a major reason why.

Sorry, I'll get of my soapbox now (the Krishna's have free lunch going in the quad)

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Posted by: lost in space
Date: July 02, 2017 10:15AM
5 for our daughter, I think.

She'll be senior this coming year. A year from now, our son starts college, we'll be doing the tour thing again soon, and eating beans for years to come.

Date: July 02, 2017 12:55PM
Ombligo
I want employees who can think independently and problem solve. I want them to have people skills, and confidence.

Unfortunately the majority of business owners do not agree with that. At least it's not high on their wish list. And a liberal arts degree is no guarantee of those qualities anyway.

Ombligo
I can teach them the business (which I'll likely have to do anyway).

The last statement is what the majority of business owners believe about those "liberal arts degrees", but they don't want to have to "teach them" their business.
Posted by: vision63
Date: July 02, 2017 01:23PM
Michael
We did 4 tours.

The university that my kid ended up going to was a bad experience with her first tour. The tour guide was on his phone through much of the tour because it was NFL draft day and he was getting reports from friends. It really turned off my kid and she wasn't interested in the place. My wife and I thought the university was actually a good fit so I called the Registrar and told him we had a bad experience and asked for a redo with his best guide. He was very apologetic and set us up again a month later. It was magic and our kid loved the place and signed up. The difference in the 2 guides was pretty amazing.

Go USC! no?
Posted by: Ammo
Date: July 02, 2017 01:29PM
We did 3-4 for each kid and I think that was plenty. Both wound up at the same school, which was great for all involved.

Where is there dignity unless there is also honesty? - Cicero

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. —Wendy Mass
Posted by: rz
Date: July 02, 2017 08:24PM
I did one when I went to college. I applied to 4 schools. Went to the one that offered the best scholarship deal. Had 4 siblings who had attended the local state school, so I didn't really need to tour it. The other two were pretty far away, and even though one offered me a generous deal, it still would have cost a lot.
Posted by: davemchine
Date: July 03, 2017 11:32AM
Thanks everyone that was very helpful. When I went to college I never did any tours. I simply showed up at the one college that would accept me with my poor grades and thin wallet.
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: July 03, 2017 01:45PM
youngest has done a half-dozen w/ their school.

earlier this year we all went to one they were very interested in until their overnight visit - absolutely not what they had thought.

next we are heading to Penn State, later they will visit U. of MD on their own, then down to Daytona and up to Jacksonville.

this fall they'll head off for an overnight at one of:
[en.wikipedia.org]
Posted by: DinerDave
Date: July 03, 2017 03:55PM
Speedy
Three tours but 20+ applications, rejected by about four. Never again. He went to our local Big 10 university where he graduated which is all that matters. Two years later his worthless degree has him working at Target for $15/hour.

Don't give up hope.
This is a story from early 90's, while economy was really active.
My niece graduated from Villanova. I recall her saying 2 years later, 3/4's of her graduating class still did not have a job in the field of study.
My niece was an intern at a firm that remodeled and built new airports. She was a summer intern for 3 years while in school. A year and a half later, they made her an offer and kept her on full time. Fast forward one more year, and I met her at her office. Very nice place, large fancy business meeting area with a fireplace, etc. Around the outer edges are numerous cubicle type offices. Then near the back were two big offices side by side. One was the owner's, the other hers. I said I was surprised at the size of her office, makes me think she is more than a regular employee. That is when she told me that they found that if a business was minority owned, the government would send more contracts their way, so they made her a 51% owner. then 10 years later, the original owner retired, now guess who owns the whole company.
Yes, she fell into a great situation, but she is also very smart.
Don't give up yet, your son just has not had the right breaks yet, it will happen.

Dave

Welcome to Dave's BBQ!

Many have eaten here....

Few have died
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 180
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020