advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
splitting up audiobooks
Posted by: wurm
Date: July 09, 2017 02:37PM
I have a long daily commute, so I listen to a fair amount of audiobooks. I've been downloading the Overdrive mp3 versions from the library and while you can't beat the price (free), it's a little inconvenient in that the downloads are basically the same as doing a CD at a time; that is, an audiobook that would be 10 audio CDs is made available in 10 parts. Then I run each part through a program called Audio Splitter to chop them up into 5 minute segments for ease of navigating in my car's CD player. About the only downside is that sometimes the split occurs in the middle of a sentence or word. There are other programs that listen for silences, but then I run the risk of getting segments anywhere from :10 to 8:00, just because of how long the narrator may have paused.

So basically, I'm looking for the best of both worlds. Set something up for say, five minute segments, but wait for a silence within a few seconds of that range. Anyone have any suggestions for an app or program that will do that with just a few clicks? Hell, I might even pay for such an program. smiling smiley
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: splitting up audiobooks
Posted by: hal
Date: July 09, 2017 02:47PM
I use Fission - I think I got it for $10 or maybe $5 - it does just what you are wanting. You can search for quiet gaps via length of gap AND volume. It certainly won't be perfect, but it's very adjustable.
Posted by: testcase
Date: July 09, 2017 03:02PM
Fission now $28.99 in the App Store and $29.00 direct from the developer! smiley-shocked003

Upgrades are $15 from the developer.
Posted by: hal
Date: July 09, 2017 03:40PM
that's WAY too much - sorry...
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: July 09, 2017 03:46PM
I was doing CD's but finally tired of the hassle. I dug out an old iphone, and use it as an mp3 player. I can pause whereever, it's compact an easy. I play it through the aux input (and use a 12v USB adapter to charge.

If you have the AUX input (or even the cassette adapter), I strongly encourage you to go that route. So much easier.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias

The German word for contraceptive is “Schwangerschaftsverhütungsmittel”. By the time you finished saying that, it’s too late
Posted by: wurm
Date: July 09, 2017 04:38PM
Thanks, all. Interestingly enough, I think I had a version of Fission when I was trying our other audio editors a few years ago, but I must have trashed it. Certainly not worth the price for what I need.

What I like about mp3 CDs is that I can just use a rewritable and keep burning new books onto the same discs as I finish listening to them. Between traffic noise, lack of concentration, and some hearing loss, I also tend to have to rewind a lot when listening. I never really got the hang of doing that easily with the iPhone, especially while I'm driving.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: July 09, 2017 06:57PM
.....if they are really bad.....will spit on them at least 3 times...........

.....oh, wait you said split.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: vicrock
Date: July 09, 2017 07:40PM
I use audiobook builder
Posted by: TheTominator
Date: July 09, 2017 08:43PM
vicrock
I use audiobook builder

Me too.

But, of course, I use it to make AAC files (MPEG-4 audio , .m4b) to play on my iPhone.

I don't think it makes MP3 files. (At least not as of version 1.5.3.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/09/2017 08:48PM by TheTominator.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: July 10, 2017 12:19PM
I do the old Omb thing, just burn AIFF CD's, and the CD players in our cars remember where they stop, and when you restart, they even back up 2 or 3 seconds then continue. More than enough to not miss any words or punctuation. Once the audio has been DL'ed to the computer, frankly it takes more time labeling and putting the CD's into sleeves than to rip 'em in the first place. As long as you don't eject, or change CD's, all is well. Switching from CD to radio and back is seamless. OTOH, we have a seemingly lifetime supply of blank CD's from the Fry's and Costco sales of yesteryear. Sometimes for road trips we'll load up all six slots in the CD players w/ the audiobook CD's. If your car's CD payer won't cooperate, the MP3 player seems like the next best option.

We also have a separate DVD entertainment system in the van, which plays MP3's so you can fit a whole book on one DVD; only problem is that the player is located under the back seat, and even with the remotes, it's a pain unless someone is in the back seat to operate it... it was fine for years when the kid was a kid, but he's all growed up now and rarely passengers in the back seat anymore.
==
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 157
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020