advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Switching to synthetic oil - do you have to get every drop of regular oil out?
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: July 21, 2017 02:29AM
I'm thinking of switching to synthetic oil in my 2002 Buick Park Avenue with 100,000 miles. Do I have to be diligent in getting the old oil out? Do I need an extended filter? Do I need to use Pennzoil synthetic since I'm using Pennzoil regular oil? Is there anything else I need to know?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Switching to synthetic oil - do you have to get every drop of regular oil out?
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: July 21, 2017 02:32AM
No.

No. (It's always a good idea to use a quality oil filter in your vehicle, however.)

No.

No.

It is what it is.
Re: Switching to synthetic oil - do you have to get every drop of regular oil out?
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: July 21, 2017 02:34AM
When switching after extended use, your consumption might go up. The extra cost of this should be offset by a small increase in mileage.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: Speedy
Date: July 21, 2017 02:35AM
Filliam H. Muffman
When switching after extended use, your consumption might go up. The extra cost of this should be offset by a small increase in mileage.

And fewer oil changes.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: July 21, 2017 02:38AM
Fewer oil changes is my reason for doing it.
Posted by: testcase
Date: July 21, 2017 06:19AM
No
Posted by: Mr645
Date: July 21, 2017 06:33AM
No problem mixing as long as both oils meet the car requirements.
Posted by: tenders
Date: July 21, 2017 06:53AM
They happily sell blends of synthetic and organic oil, so there is no need to be particularly assiduous about getting the old organic oil out when you start synthetic

Plus, it's impossible to get it all out without cycling through several batches of expensive synthetic oil...which you'll do naturally over the next 150,000 miles or so.
Posted by: Cary
Date: July 21, 2017 07:05AM
N-OS X-tasy!
No.

No. (It's always a good idea to use a quality oil filter in your vehicle, however.)

No.

No.

agree smiley
Posted by: msglee
Date: July 21, 2017 07:09AM
Older cars tend to leak from the seals when switching to synthetic oil.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: July 21, 2017 07:10AM
....good to the last.....drop..........

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: billb
Date: July 21, 2017 07:34AM
You don't want to switch now.
Anything that goes wrong with that high mileage engine will be blamed on the synth change and not the age of the engine.

Some would recommend your first oil change to be at the regular oil change period of time and then at the synth recommend rate of time after that .

After changing to synth you can sleep well at night knowing your car will now last forever.
[/hype]

Oh and if you decide synth isn't for you, when you change back use a high detergent oil ( to get all the synth out ) and then you can blame all the leaks from the detergent on the synth oil.
[/more hype]

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Date: July 21, 2017 08:39AM
....what about synth...ahol....??

Posted by: modelamac
Date: July 21, 2017 09:00AM
I think you will not get all of the benefits of synthetic oil at this high mileage. The time to use synthetic is right from the start, before any engine wear occurs.

Your engine is about half worn, with larger gaps than a fresh engine. I would not switch at this stage of the game. The purpose of synthetic is to reduce friction AND wear. It also lowers operating temps a bit because of that.

Ed (modelamac)

I think I will just put an OUT OF ORDER
sticker on my head and call it a day.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: July 21, 2017 09:22AM
One car I switched over at about 180,000 and the other at about 150,000. The one with fewer miles was a 1997, the other a 2004. The older car began to leak from the RMS right after, the newer one was fine.
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: July 21, 2017 09:29AM
I wouldn't switch at this point. Higher likelyhood for leaks and after 100k miles of normal oil you won't see any longevity benefits from switching.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: davester
Date: July 21, 2017 10:15AM
msglee

That is largely an old wives' tale, with a tiny bit of truth mixed in (like most old wives' tales). The first synthetic oils in the 1970s definitely caused seals to leak. However, that problem was addressed decades ago and these days there is zero risk of that happening. On the other hand, if your seal already has a leak then a synthetic will leak through it at a faster rate than a non-synthetic.

modelamac
Your engine is about half worn, with larger gaps than a fresh engine. I would not switch at this stage of the game. The purpose of synthetic is to reduce friction AND wear. It also lowers operating temps a bit because of that.

This is only part of the story. The primary reason for using synthetic oil is that it maintains its lubricating abilities far longer and under much more severe conditions than non-synthetic. This means lower risk of running the engine on oil has degraded beyond its ability to lubricate properly, and also allowing for much longer oil change intervals. Also, since synthetic has higher film strength it reduces wear in older engines where the increased clearances might result in metal-to-metal contact with regular oil.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/2017 10:17AM by davester.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: July 21, 2017 10:31AM
I recently switched to full synth in my 2006 Saab 9-2x (subaru impreza rebadge) and some engine noises that I had noticed before have been significantly reduced or eliminated. Anecdotal maybe, but I feel this will prolong the life of the engine and will not be switching back.
Date: July 21, 2017 11:49AM
davester
msglee

That is largely an old wives' tale, with a tiny bit of truth mixed in (like most old wives' tales). The first synthetic oils in the 1970s definitely caused seals to leak. However, that problem was addressed decades ago and these days there is zero risk of that happening. On the other hand, if your seal already has a leak then a synthetic will leak through it at a faster rate than a non-synthetic.

modelamac

This is only part of the story. The primary reason for using synthetic oil is that it maintains its lubricating abilities far longer and under much more severe conditions than non-synthetic. This means lower risk of running the engine on oil has degraded beyond its ability to lubricate properly, and also allowing for much longer oil change intervals. Also, since synthetic has higher film strength it reduces wear in older engines where the increased clearances might result in metal-to-metal contact with regular oil.

This. I would not hesitate to make the switch. Use a quality oil filter.

It is what it is.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: July 21, 2017 11:58AM
N-OS X-tasy!

How does one determine what qualifies?
Date: July 21, 2017 12:18PM
mikebw
N-OS X-tasy!

How does one determine what qualifies?

Use the Internet to research it. Plenty of sites with good info about oil filters.

It is what it is.
Date: July 21, 2017 01:39PM
If the seals do leak, can I change back and stop it?
Posted by: billb
Date: July 21, 2017 01:46PM
Yes, but it will take another 100,000 miles to clog the arteries back up.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: DinerDave
Date: July 21, 2017 02:58PM
Cary
N-OS X-tasy!
No.

No.

No.

agree smiley

Synthetic and conventional oil are fully compatible. Hence the availability of synthetic blend motor oil. Granted those are not 50/50, can be as low as 85/15, but that tells you the oils are playing well with each other.

Dave

Welcome to Dave's BBQ!

Many have eaten here....

Few have died
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: July 21, 2017 04:06PM
The gunk bumming up the seals will get washed off with synthetic, so if the seals have shrunk, then you will see leaks after. If not, no leaks. The only way to find out is to do it. And, no, there's no going back, I tried that. Used some stop leak (tried at least four types), no luck, got to do that $1200 fix (I didn't, sold the car).
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: July 21, 2017 05:41PM
tenders
They happily sell blends of synthetic and organic oil, so there is no need to be particularly assiduous about getting the old organic oil out when you start synthetic

Plus, it's impossible to get it all out without cycling through several batches of expensive synthetic oil...which you'll do naturally over the next 150,000 miles or so.

What???

That'll take me another 34 years!
Posted by: Bimwad
Date: July 21, 2017 08:17PM
Dennis S
Do I have to be diligent in getting the old oil out?

Not for motor oil.

It is, however, a good idea to flush the system when changing coolant chemistries.
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: July 22, 2017 06:15AM
5+ years ago, I switched to synthetic for an older sports coupe when a relative got bored with their toy and sold it to me.

The valve cover gaskets were replaced almost immediately (leak in that area.)

Now it has a small weep from the rear main seal, but it's not enough to need topping off between oil changes.

But then again, we're talking about a 20 year old vehicle.
Posted by: GuyGene
Date: July 22, 2017 09:40AM
N-OS X-tasy!
No.

No.

No.

Yes, agree smiley

I use full synthetic in every engine I have, lawn mowers, everything. Just change it. Done. And, that rumor about synthetic oil making seals leak? A rumor. No, it will not. I'm almost as knowledgeable about oils as old Bob's The Oil Guy and others more knowledgeable than him. Get and use Mobile 1 full synthetic, that's all you need to know about oil, and use the viscosity called for in owner's manual. Done.

That old man - he don't think like no old man...
Now I wouldn't want to be within 400 - 500 yards of one of them nuclear bombs when it goes off! WW1 Vet Old Man
"He's pinned under an outcropping of rock. Lucky for him, the rock kept the dirt from burying him alive."
If idiots could fly, this place would be an airport. And I'd be a TSA agent.
A bonified member of The Mystic Knights of The Sea, George P. Stevens, President. Andy Brown, Treasurer, Algonquin J. Calhoun, Legal Consultant.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/2017 09:43AM by GuyGene.
Date: July 25, 2017 11:34AM
.....oils well....that ends well...............

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 107
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020