advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Upgrading from 10.6.8 to Sierra
Posted by: swf
Date: July 23, 2017 12:49PM
I'm having trouble upgrading to Sierra. I have tried to download the El Capitan version from the App store so I can then go to Sierra. Problem is when I try to install El Capitan I get the error message that the downloaded version cannot be verified and to delete and go to the App Store. I've tried to download and install El Capitan 3 times with the same result. Any suggestions?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Upgrading from 10.6.8 to Sierra
Posted by: Speedy
Date: July 23, 2017 12:52PM
Disconnect from your network after downloading. Then set your computer clock back a year or two and try the installation again.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/2017 12:53PM by Speedy.
Posted by: hal
Date: July 23, 2017 01:53PM
Speedy
Disconnect from your network after downloading. Then set your computer clock back a year or two and try the installation again.

This would only be necessary if the installer you are working with was downloaded a long time ago.

I suspect that the installer is not finished downloading. It will launch on its own when it's finished downloading.
Date: July 23, 2017 01:55PM
hal
Speedy

This would only be necessary if the installer you are working with was downloaded a long time ago.

I suspect that the installer is not finished downloading. It will launch on its own when it's finished downloading.

Nope, even a fresh download will throw up the warning unless you turn back your clock.

Posted by: nwyaker
Date: July 23, 2017 02:25PM
Speedy

agree smiley
Posted by: Onamuji
Date: July 23, 2017 02:29PM
swf
Any suggestions?

Not sure what's going on with the El Cap installer...

You just need to be at 10.7 or higher (and have a qualified Mac) to go to Sierra.

I'd see about getting an installer for another version of the OS as the intermediary step.

For example, if you'd every downloaded Yosemite then it'd show up and be downloadable from the "Purchased" section of the App Store app and you could install that first, then go from Yosemite to Sierra. Or else ask a friend who is a Mac user to let you install from their 10.7/10.8/10.9 or 10.10 installer.

Posted by: hal
Date: July 23, 2017 02:53PM
Speedy
hal
Speedy

Nope, even a fresh download will throw up the warning unless you turn back your clock.

I'm not sure what you're thinking then because I install 10.11 on machines all the time and they are always set to current time.
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: July 23, 2017 03:41PM
A current El Cap installer should not have the certificate problem.
Date: July 23, 2017 03:54PM
Thanks Speedy, but the suggestion didn't work. Downloaded, turned off Airport, set clock to 1/1/2015, but no go. Tried it twice. Here is the exact wording:

"This copy of the Install OS X El Capitan application can't be verified. It may have been corrupted or tampered with during downloading. Delete this copy of the application, and go to the Purchases page of the Mac App Store to download a new copy."

Any other ideas?

Any other ideas?
Date: July 23, 2017 05:30PM
Tried the upgrade to Yosemite then to Sierra. Couldn't even get to Yosemite as I got the same "can't be verified" message that I got when I tried the El Capitan install. Can't understand the issue. Still looking for help.
Posted by: BernDog
Date: July 23, 2017 05:53PM
Create a new admin user and try from there? Just a shot in the dark.

Edit: Or, make a bootable flash drive and try it the old fashioned way (by installing from another disk or drive).

[diskmakerx.com]

Again, just grasping at straws.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/2017 05:57PM by BernDog.
Posted by: modelamac
Date: July 23, 2017 06:09PM
Change the date on the Mac to a year (or 2)earlier (in System Preferences) and try running the installer again. Apple made some changes in the certificates required to install OSes, and it was supposed to have ben fixed. I guess not.

swf
I'm having trouble upgrading to Sierra. I have tried to download the El Capitan version from the App store so I can then go to Sierra. Problem is when I try to install El Capitan I get the error message that the downloaded version cannot be verified and to delete and go to the App Store. I've tried to download and install El Capitan 3 times with the same result. Any suggestions?

Ed (modelamac)

I think I will just put an OUT OF ORDER
sticker on my head and call it a day.
Posted by: Golfer
Date: July 23, 2017 06:10PM
I've run across that error numerous times, making a bootable flash drive always solved it for me.
Posted by: Onamuji
Date: July 23, 2017 06:16PM
Try each of these things:

1. Set the date and time as precisely as you can do so. As close to exact time as you can get it to the second.

2. Set the date and time to some time in Feb 2014.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/2017 06:16PM by Onamuji.
Posted by: space-time
Date: July 23, 2017 06:27PM
It Just Works!

(not anymore)
Posted by: chopper
Date: July 23, 2017 07:44PM
DONT
Posted by: sekker
Date: July 23, 2017 10:19PM
Bootable flash drive is how I'd do this.
Posted by: Spiff
Date: July 24, 2017 12:16AM
I've had this problem as well, but with a bootable flash drive
That I have made in the past. Can't say as I have any answers
For you. I just downloaded the most recent installer of the most recent OS and installed it. Not sure why it worked for me and not for you.
Date: July 24, 2017 11:42AM
swf
Thanks Speedy, but the suggestion didn't work. Downloaded, turned off Airport, set clock to 1/1/2015, but no go. Tried it twice. Here is the exact wording:

"This copy of the Install OS X El Capitan application can't be verified. It may have been corrupted or tampered with during downloading. Delete this copy of the application, and go to the Purchases page of the Mac App Store to download a new copy."

Any other ideas?

Any other ideas?

Nope.

This past Thursday I updated a Mountain Lion server machine to Sierra. I had intended to only upgrade to Mavericks which disabled the server software which I was fine with since server has changed quite a bit in its implementation in the intervening years. Otherwise the upgrade to Mavericks went fine once I set back the clock. But I wanted the server software so I decided to just go to Sierra. I spent a couple of hours getting there and I had to download to another Mac running Mavericks a copy of Sierra just to get a copy of Sierra that I could move to the first Mac because the App Store wouldn't let me upgrade my Mavericks (disabled) server machine to Sierra. This did not require setting the clock back, once I copied the Sierra installer to the first Mac from the second Mac, it installed. Lastly I bought the $20 server and installed it.

[apple.stackexchange.com]

[apple.stackexchange.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2017 12:20PM by Speedy.
Date: July 24, 2017 08:36PM
If you really get stalled, install it on an external hard disk using another computer. Then connect the hard drive to this Mac and run migration assistant to move everything to the external hard drive. Next boot from the external and reformat the internal and install the OS. Lastly, run migration assistant to move all your stuff back to the internal from the external. It's an all day job, even overnight with migration assistant, but you'll have your Mac OS upgraded.

Posted by: riley5108
Date: July 26, 2017 10:00AM
swf:

You haven't said if you found a solution to your problem. So I'm just adding the following as a possible solution. I had the same problem several years ago, but for the life of me I can't remember how I solved the issue. See the Apple Discussions below.

[discussions.apple.com]

"After multiple attempts & following different posts, I removed the Install OS X EI Capitan app from the application folder & restarted my mac with SAFE MODE option (pressing the shift key while booting). Then I downloaded it again from the App Store & to my surprise, this time it worked without any issue.

It took around 2 hours to complete the upgrade, but its ok. Finally now in EI Capitan without losing my existing files

Thanks everyone for your useful suggestions!"

Good luck!!

- Riley
Southern Indiana, B-Town
Date: July 28, 2017 08:07AM
Finally got to Sierra. It was laborious but worked. I wondered if the problem was my computer so I down loaded the El Capital install app to another machine, copied it to a flash drive and then loaded it onto my MacBook. Eureka!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 120
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020