AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
RYF: Walmart Clearance iPhone SE 16GB $134 plus tax
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: July 25, 2017 10:25PM
YMMV. Most are $179. Mine was $134.

[brickseek.com]

More YMMV but this worked for me.

Little tricky though, these are set to US Carrier activation, so they lock to the carrier of the first SIM that is inserted. So make sure you have a Verizon SIM card in there the first time it is powered up since all their phones are unlocked then you should be able to use it on any carrier.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: RYF: Walmart Clearance iPhone SE 16GB $134 plus tax
Posted by: sekker
Date: July 25, 2017 10:26PM
I won't ever buy another 16GB iPhone.
Posted by: Ken Sp.
Date: July 25, 2017 11:50PM
C(-)ris
YMMV. Most are $179. Mine was $134.

[brickseek.com]

More YMMV but this worked for me.

Little tricky though, these are set to US Carrier activation, so they lock to the carrier of the first SIM that is inserted. So make sure you have a Verizon SIM card in there the first time it is powered up since all their phones are unlocked then you should be able to use it on any carrier.

Can you explain that a little bit better to me, if I put a T-Mobile Sim card in it it will be locked to T-Mobile forever?
Can it be unlocked?
If I put a Verizon Sim card in, then it will be good to go with any card, essentially unlocked?

Thanks I got one for $174 for a friend that needs it for her hearing aids. Her old 5 is losing Bluetooth.
Date: July 25, 2017 11:58PM
This is where I got my info: again YMMV, I'm no expert, but it worked for me.

[www.howardforums.com]

C(-)ris
Posted by: jdc
Date: July 26, 2017 12:32AM
sekker
I won't ever buy another 16GB iPhone.

Nothing wrong with 16 GB if you manage it wisely, or dont use a phone as a 24/7 companion.

I have no email, no music and no photos on my SE, plenty of space. I use as a phone, net, maps, messages and a few games.

This would be a great deal for my soon to be 6th grader, she would only use it for phone, text and the web, plus spotify. No storage needed.

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: space-time
Date: July 26, 2017 05:51AM
$179 here and Out of Stock in all stores but one which might have 2. Not worth the drive for something I do not need.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: July 26, 2017 06:48AM
space-time
$179 here and Out of Stock in all stores but one which might have 2. Not worth the drive for something I do not need.

same exact result for me.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias

The German word for contraceptive is “Schwangerschaftsverhütungsmittel”. By the time you finished saying that, it’s too late
Posted by: decay
Date: July 26, 2017 07:24AM
$179 , 2 in stock, 18 miles away

---
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: July 26, 2017 07:38AM
....can one run......-on sentence this....??

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: clay
Date: July 26, 2017 07:55AM
i guess the question to C(-)ris is whether yours showed as $179 in brickseek, or whether it actually showed the $134 price. I'm seeing 2 at a local store here for $179. But if they actually ring up as $134, I'd just pick up both of them!
Posted by: billb
Date: July 26, 2017 08:13AM
2 available for $179 5,5 miles away

funny though brickseek doesn't find the store that is only 1.5 miles away.
even trying varying zip codes
and it's been there a while

I've contemplated having a 5s for a spare phone, this is pretty close in price. $134 would be better.
Date: July 26, 2017 08:17AM
yeah, at $134, this is a no-brainer. USED 16GB 5s are going for $100-$150. Absolutely a no brainer to get a better, new phone in that same price range.
Posted by: Sam3
Date: July 26, 2017 08:30AM
Especially considering the SE has pretty much the same internals and camera that the 6S has.
Date: July 26, 2017 08:34AM
Sam3
Especially considering the SE has pretty much the same internals and camera that the 6S has.

yup. I'm actually using a 5s currently, but I'd upgrade just for the speed and camera of the SE.
Date: July 26, 2017 09:00AM
Mine showed $134 on Brickseek. 54601 for the zip.

C(-)ris
Posted by: nwyaker
Date: July 26, 2017 10:20AM
32GB for $160

[www.walmart.com]
Posted by: finn
Date: July 26, 2017 11:12AM
I was able to buy the 32 for $160 as well. One left in stock in Grenville, NY
Date: July 26, 2017 11:14AM
[slickdeals.net]

doesn't sound like anyone has had any luck using these on a non-Straight Talk network.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/2017 11:15AM by billb.
Posted by: TLB
Date: July 26, 2017 11:35AM
billb
[slickdeals.net]

doesn't sound like anyone has had any luck using these on a non-Straight Talk network.

Is that only the 32 or the originally posted 16GB also?
Date: July 26, 2017 11:43AM
.....pretty sure that Straight Talk phones are locked to that network.....and difficult to unlock....

Date: July 26, 2017 12:33PM
C(-)ris, was the phone listed as being for a particular carrier?

Even at the $179 price, I might be willing to give it a shot. I'm on Boom mobile, which is a Verizon MVNO. Think it's worth a shot?
Date: July 26, 2017 12:44PM
TLB
billb
[slickdeals.net]

Is that only the 32 or the originally posted 16GB also?
seems to me all the prepaid straight talk phones sold at walmart are 12 month contract phones their hook being tied to straight talk for 12 months

straight talk buys tower time from all the majors so they'll have VerizonSt sims, T-mobil ST sims and AT&T ST sims. I don't think they are set up to roam across all three at will.

[en.wikipedia.org]

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/2017 12:53PM by billb.
Posted by: nwyaker
Date: July 26, 2017 12:53PM
Is that only the 32 or the originally posted 16GB also?[/quote]
seems to me all the prepaid straight talk phones sold at walmart are 12 month contract phones their hook being tied to straight talk for 12 months[/quote]

agree smiley
Date: July 26, 2017 02:51PM
clay
C(-)ris, was the phone listed as being for a particular carrier?

Even at the $179 price, I might be willing to give it a shot. I'm on Boom mobile, which is a Verizon MVNO. Think it's worth a shot?

Mine did not say anything about Straight Talk on the phone itself. The clearance tag said $459 for the non clearance price, which I would think would correspond to an unlocked phone.

C(-)ris
Date: July 26, 2017 04:53PM
billb
[slickdeals.net]

I was reading that thread and noticed that they all said it came with a ST SIM. The phone I bought did NOT come with a sim and had the following model number on the bottom: MLLW2LL/A.

C(-)ris
Posted by: Gilbert
Date: July 26, 2017 09:54PM
Brickseek said a Walmart on the way home had two in stock. The first person I asked said she thought they were sold out. So I asked if there was someone who could check. Another person came out from the back and asked which carrier I wanted, so I said Verizon. After 15 min she came with one and said they had one more. I checked the model number and it had the same one as C(-)ris found - MLLW2LL/A. The price was marked as $179, so not as good as C(-)ris, but still a good price. She brought out a Verizon SIM card for each one, but she said I didn't have to activate them in the store. I ended up buying both and was told I could return them if I changed my mind.

I plan on using them with T-Mobile, but have a Verizon SIM to put in them first.

Thanks for the heads up!

Gilbert
Date: July 26, 2017 10:17PM
Gilbert
Brickseek said a Walmart on the way home had two in stock. The first person I asked said she thought they were sold out. So I asked if there was someone who could check. Another person came out from the back and asked which carrier I wanted, so I said Verizon. After 15 min she came with one and said they had one more. I checked the model number and it had the same one as C(-)ris found - MLLW2LL/A. The price was marked as $179, so not as good as C(-)ris, but still a good price. She brought out a Verizon SIM card for each one, but she said I didn't have to activate them in the store. I ended up buying both and was told I could return them if I changed my mind.

I plan on using them with T-Mobile, but have a Verizon SIM to put in them first.

Thanks for the heads up!

Gilbert

Let us know if they work. You might want to make sure that Verizon SIM is post paid, not prepaid.

C(-)ris
Date: July 27, 2017 06:20AM
....that explains why it is unlocked......Straight Talk ones are not unlocked...

Posted by: Gilbert
Date: July 27, 2017 09:54AM
I will activate it with a Verizon SIM first (inactive post-paid SIM), but based on the model number, everything I see online shows this is the SIM free version that can be used on Verizon, T-Mobile and AT&T (not Sprint). I don't think it matters which SIM is used at first, but to be safe, I will use a Verizon one.

C(-)ris
Gilbert

Thanks for the heads up!

Gilbert

Let us know if they work. You might want to make sure that Verizon SIM is post paid, not prepaid.
Posted by: August West
Date: July 28, 2017 07:36PM
Any idea what would happen if I grabbed one and simply put my 5s sim in?

“Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it."

Date: July 30, 2017 02:05PM
I stopped by my store to see if they had any. They couldn't find a SKU that matched what shows on brickseek. They did have a Straight Talk SE for $159. But I assume that's not the right thing, so I didn't purchase. Was the Straight Talk one the same as the one in question in our thread here? Should I go back and buy?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 168
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020