AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
OT: Home Cooking Poll.... Microwave habits
Posted by: Buzz
Date: July 25, 2017 10:43PM
Poll
43 votes were received.
All visitors can vote.
When I cook stuff like bacon in the microwave....

It turns out that someone in the household has been cooking bacon directly of the microwave's glass turntable. Current Panasonic microwave is about a year and a half old, and the unnamed microwave user only cooks bacon en masse when our son is around, so my best guesstimate is that she has done so a dozen or fewer times since we've had the microwave. Today, the glass turntable cracked while she was cooking bacon for the youngin'.
Thankfully the large glass object didn't shatter.

This poll is to check and see how many others around here go bareback in their microwave. I've always thought one should use some sort of microwave-safe cooking dish for cooking stuff, especially something like bacon. When I nuke frozen burritos, I never go over 60% power, and then when the burrito is thawed, it goes on a plate to finish cooking.

What say ye? Are there any other microwave daredevils out there?
Thanks. Comments welcome.
==
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: OT: Home Cooking Poll.... Microwave habits
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: July 25, 2017 10:52PM
I usually use a plate, but I don't have a built in turntable on the 30 year old tank I am currently using. I usually use at least a paper towel for a burrito or bread. I don't think I have ever cooked directly the turntable when I lived someplace that had one.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: July 25, 2017 10:55PM
I'd never cook bacon in a microwave. But, I always at least put down a paper towel on the glass if not a plate or bowl.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Posted by: steve...
Date: July 25, 2017 11:02PM
Always on a plate. I clean the glass turntable a few times a year.

Northern California Coast
Posted by: davester
Date: July 25, 2017 11:10PM
Bacon in the microwave? Sacrilege!

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: davemchine
Date: July 26, 2017 12:08AM
Steve, "a few times a year"?

Ukulele music I couldn't find anywhere else.
[colquhoun.info]
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: July 26, 2017 12:44AM
I only cook potatoes, sweet potatoes and corn on the cob on the plate. I wash it about every other day.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: July 26, 2017 06:46AM
I think you are making a false correlation to the bacon cooking and the turntable cracking.

Anyway, I generally use a plate, but not always.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias

The German word for contraceptive is “Schwangerschaftsverhütungsmittel”. By the time you finished saying that, it’s too late
Posted by: billb
Date: July 26, 2017 06:59AM
I use a cast iron pan and a stove top but, would use a plate and paper towels
and one of those clear plastic splatter and humidity containers that fit over the plate

cuz cleaning the carousel turntable and microwave insides often is a PITA.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: July 26, 2017 07:29AM
.....plate.......paper towel on bottom.....bacon....then paper towel on top [ to prevent splatter - always cover or put paper towel on top when microwaving anything to prevent spattering, it makes cleaning the microwave easier later ]......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: DinerDave
Date: July 26, 2017 07:55AM
agree smiley
davester
Bacon in the microwave? Sacrilege!

Dave

Welcome to Dave's BBQ!

Many have eaten here....

Few have died
Posted by: DinerDave
Date: July 26, 2017 07:57AM
Looks like my response is a little back-@#$%&wards

Dave

Welcome to Dave's BBQ!

Many have eaten here....

Few have died
Posted by: Buzz
Date: July 26, 2017 07:59AM
Ombligo
I think you are making a false correlation to the bacon cooking and the turntable cracking.

The turntable cracked while the bacon was being nuked on it; how much more of a correlation need be made? No one else, AFAIK, cooks anything directly on the turntable, or something greasy only shielded by a single layer of paper towel. Piping hot, greasy bacon spinning slowly, and reversing directions every minute or so, w/ the bacon spaced out so as to not overlap itself. Very uneven hot and cold areas of glass next to each other so that the glass is both expanding and contracting somewhat randomly over the entire surface of the platter until it cracks while under such stress... I'm gonna stick w/ accurate correlation.
==
Posted by: Robert M
Date: July 26, 2017 08:07AM
Hi everyone,

I guess it's just me but it never occurred to me to ever cook anything directly on the turntable. Items are always placed on or in an appropriate cooking vessel, i.e. plate, bowl, mug, container, etc. Never on the turntable. And, despite this, the turntable does get dirty on occasion. Remove it, clean it, dry it, put it back. Takes just a few seconds usually. If the turntable gets seriously messy, throw it in the dishwasher or give it a heavy cleaning.

And, yes, bacon is easy to make in the microwave. Rectangular Pyrex baking dish. Paper towels on bottom. bacon slices. Paper towels on top of slices. Nuke until done. Let bacon stand for a short time afterward to ensure it gets nice and crispy. And, above all, monitor the bacon while you're cooking it!

Robert
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: July 26, 2017 09:14AM
If I had explained my force field technique to you, I'd have to kill you.
Posted by: freeradical
Date: July 26, 2017 10:02AM
Microwave ovens are good for reheating foods, but not cooking them.
Date: July 26, 2017 10:09AM
Free,

That is so definitely wrong. You can easily do real cooking in a microwave. It is 100% dependent on the food.

Here's a nifty list:

<[www.buzzfeed.com];

Robert
Date: July 26, 2017 10:23AM
.....but don't microwave grapes....!!!!

Posted by: billb
Date: July 26, 2017 10:42AM
freeradical
Microwave ovens are good for reheating foods, but not cooking them.
yeah, some foods, not all.
many are "good enough"

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Date: July 26, 2017 10:43AM
Bill,

And many foods and/or dishes cooked in a microwave are just dandy!

Robert
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: July 26, 2017 12:36PM
"I use a cast iron pan and a stove top..." - billb

That's the way God intended it.
Posted by: Carm
Date: July 26, 2017 12:40PM
Wife cooks bacon in microwave, first time I saw it I was like WTF! Anyways she uses a plate: ceramic or paper and a bunch of paper napkins to contain the spatter, top and bottom. Keeps the mess down in the microwave.
Date: July 26, 2017 12:43PM
Carm,

You should've seen the look on my wife's face when I made fluffy eggs with cheese and bacon bits in a paper cup in the microwave. She was astonished! And, they were so yummy!

Robert
Posted by: rz
Date: July 26, 2017 12:52PM
I used to do it like Newt says: Plate, paper towel, bacon, paper towel. A little over a minute per slice makes it nice and crispy. But now we have a couple of different gadgets that allow the grease to drain while cooking. One is plastic, the other is like pyrex. The plastic one works by lining the bacon pieces in "landscape mode"... with a skewer on either side to hold the pieces in place. It's weird, but it works.
Date: July 26, 2017 12:58PM
....not much you can 'cook' in microwave.....but on one of the cooking shows, a professional cook during competition made a nice sponge cake......

Posted by: Carm
Date: July 26, 2017 01:03PM
That was a first too, wife bought these microwave bowls from a Tupperware sales lady and she makes eggs for my daughter every once in awhile for breakfast. She made brownies in them once too.

Egg microwave story from my teen years: When I was a teen, my younger sister decided to cook an egg in the microwave without poking holes in it. As you can guess the results, the Eggplosion scared the @#$%& out of us, we thought she killed the microwave, the door almost popped open and the microwave shut off, after she cleaned the mess we ran a test and never spoke of it.
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: July 26, 2017 01:07PM
Robert M
Bill,

And many foods and/or dishes cooked in a microwave are just dandy!

Robert

And many are not! :-)

Have you ever tried to make scrambled eggs in a M'Wave? How about S'mores, or maybe beef? (nasty grey steaks are NOT palatable to me)

I'm in the camp that just uses the microwave for heating stuff up, such as leftovers. Cooking food will be done with my range/oven, sir, and that's that!

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Date: July 26, 2017 01:13PM
Ricko-O,

Quite true. But, I've cooked eggs and s'mores in a microwave. Easy. Crunchy Cheese chips. Just need cheese and partchment paper. Crappy Kraft cheese slices work best for it. The point I was making is microwaves ain't just for heating up food and anyone who says otherwise really needs to be more open-minded when it comes to cooking. And, for the record, there are definitely some items that shouldn't be cooked in a microwave. Steak is definitely one of them.

Robert
Date: July 26, 2017 01:15PM
....egg whites in a microwave safe tiny bowl......make sure to butter or oil before.......makes it easier to eat.....

Posted by: Kraniac
Date: July 26, 2017 02:07PM
NewtonMP2100
.....plate.......paper towel on bottom.....bacon....then paper towel on top [ to prevent splatter - always cover or put paper towel on top when microwaving anything to prevent spattering, it makes cleaning the microwave easier later ]......

what? wait! stop!.// no condom?
Date: July 26, 2017 10:10PM
.......Easy-Bake Oven.......

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 316
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020