advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
OT: Mice love peanut butter and laugh at traps that use them
Posted by: St. Bernard
Date: December 19, 2006 01:24AM
Much to my chagrin, I have found myself with a mouse problem in our 1930 basement. I think I know at least some of the potential reasons--many having to do with the build-up of recycling materials and an overly lax policy of dumping stuff down here as a method of cleaning up the upper two levels.

However, while trying to tackle the root of the problem, I figured I'd get started on the extermination. Being a good forumitizen, er, forumizen, uh...citizen of the forum, I searched out what others found to be effective and it seemed that peanut butter was second best to a cat. I dutifully set out two snap traps with my favorite lunch snack one night and came back the next morning expecting to have caught a friend.

Well, despite the traps being so sensitive that I had trouble setting them gently on the ground with setting them off, I came back to find both traps clean...of both PB and mice. "Hmm..." I thought, as the trap broke the wooden skewer I used to test that it was operational. "Maybe I left the PB as too easy a glob to simply pull of the top." Hearing more squeaking and rustling than I would like, I then set four traps, this time positively slathering the triggers all over with PB.

Amazingly, over the next two days, the traps have slowly been licked clean. In fact, I just came down to find a mouse lying on its side, apparently nibbling off the PB from the underside. Meanwhile, (judging again by the squeaking/rustling) I think the infestation is getting worse and these buggers are not afraid of people as I saw two scamper across the floor.

Anyone have a cat I can borrow for a few days?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: OT: Mice love peanut butter and laugh at traps that use them
Posted by: Ken Sp.
Date: December 19, 2006 01:30AM
I used to think Peanut Butter was the trick--but I heard from an Exterminator that it is best to wedge an actual peanut in the sensor.
Posted by: Carm
Date: December 19, 2006 01:30AM
LOL,
[www.team-pegasus.com] <-- Huge image.
Scaled down

I doubt one cat will be enough.
EDIT: What Ken said, get Chunky Peanut butter, stick one of the nuts in the "sensor" trigger.

Carm

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2006 01:32AM by Carm.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: December 19, 2006 02:25AM
The triggers on the traditional style traps I buy are hollow. Push some peanut butter into that hollow, they always go for it and set the trap off. The bait should be pointing towards the wall or corner where the trap is set with the base touching the vertical surface. This forces them to go into the area where the bail will hit and come at the trigger from the side which is the most sensitive direction on the traditional mousetrap. So far over the years only two mice have got to the bait on traps I have set without setting them off. Only one managed to set off the trap without getting caught.

Picture above clearly shows an improperly set trap. Also, I have never found the fancy traps with the plastic cheese bit trigger to work all that well. Neither do the so-called "safety" versions of the "traditional" mouse traps. Simple rolled sheet metal trigger so that it is hollow to hold bait always has worked best for me. Person who designed that however many decades ago pretty much got it right, main thing in getting them to catch a mouse is proper location.

Posted by: St. Bernard
Date: December 19, 2006 03:15AM
Ooo...good advice, guys--thanks. And I definitely need it. Hanging in the basement for a few makes me think I've got a real mess on my hands (I mean, besides the human mess of boxes and crap everywhere).
Posted by: MysteryGuest
Date: December 19, 2006 04:46AM
Bacon. Mice love it. Hook it under the trigger, there's no getting that without setting off the trap.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: December 19, 2006 05:23AM
Who's laughing now?
Posted by: Jem
Date: December 19, 2006 07:11AM
Another vote for chunky PB with a piece jammed under the curl of the trigger.

I do the same thing with sharp, hard cheddar cheese. Works best when it has dried out in the trap a bit and becomes rock hard. I have caught 8 mice with the same piece of cheese over 3 weeks.

The other "tricks" I've heard of are positioning the traps along walls or "edges" of spaces... because mice tend to travel along those paths, instead of crossing the middle of a wide open room, for instance.

Lastly, I found interstingly enough, that when I set the trap inside a shallow (2-3") cardboard box I catch MORE mice than with other traps set outside the box. What I use is actually the lid to a case of reams of paper. I can only surmise they feel more sheltered and are thus bolder or more foolhardy. Who knows?

Best of luck to you!
Posted by: Dakota
Date: December 19, 2006 07:14AM
I picked up a ocuple of mouse traps the other day and guess where they were made?...US of A! If someone can build and sell mouse traps here and make a profit why can't we makes shoes, pencils, and shirts? Besides, how did we get to the point where HDTVs are made in Chian and mouse traps are made in the US?
Posted by: billb
Date: December 19, 2006 07:26AM
I generally use poison when the field mice come in when it gets cold out.
Usually I find the carcass in the middle of the cellar floor.
I don't have a cat.
I have also used a plastic trap sort of like a box.
Peanut butter on a small piece of bread, drop in trap, put on floor near wall, open trap door.

This trap doesn't kill nor maim them.
I've taken them for a ride to ..... let them go, and they all seem to die of fright in the bed of the truck.
Posted by: wurm
Date: December 19, 2006 07:38AM
It's been a long time since we had to use them, but I had good success with a couple of these.

My wife didn't want a messy carcass in a conventional trap on the kitchen floor, so we tried these and they worked. Of course, then I had to drive the "prisoners" far enough away from the house because ...they'll find their way back.".

Sometimes it's just easier not to argue.
Posted by: TheTominator
Date: December 19, 2006 07:51AM
You could try what I did.
I put a laser turret on a Roomba.
Posted by: goosegunner
Date: December 19, 2006 07:55AM
I had the same problem in my garage using peanut butter. I would set traps and get nothing, but poison pellets would be carried away. While waiting for the school bus one day I was complaining about it and my 8 year old says "Dad why don't you put the pellets in the trap."

I tried it and have trapped 20 mice in the garage since 9/27/06. Yes I'm keeping track.

Buy an use these traps, they have to lift the cover to get the bait.

[www.doyourownpestcontrol.com]

Use some type of poison like this for bait. It is like crack to mice, they can't resist.

[www.hardwareandtools.com]

gg
Date: December 19, 2006 08:07AM
The commercial poison we comes in bar form. They nibble on it. The poision in it makes the mice die, but get really thirsty before they do. They go outside to seek water and thus they don't die indoors. No messy cleanup.

We can't keep track of how many mice die, but we can see that the mice problem goes away.
Posted by: michaelb
Date: December 19, 2006 08:08AM
I can't see the pictures for some reason, but I think JoeH is right: your traps are turned around the wrong way. The mouse will spring them without getting trapped if they can go at the trap over the bar/snap end, not the trigger end. So figure out how to turn them around, or put them in a locations where you can expect the mouse to come at them from the peanut butter end first.

Just a little peanut butter is enough, you don't need to slather it on either. Not sure how that would make a difference, but it is unnecessary to use very much.
Posted by: Dakota
Date: December 19, 2006 08:13AM
goosegunner
Use some type of poison like this for bait. It is like crack to mice, they can't resist.

[www.hardwareandtools.com]

gg

Do they gift wrap?
Date: December 19, 2006 08:17AM
At the bus top a number of years ago, I overheard two elderly ladies talking about mice problems like these.

One lady said, "I've always heard that the best way to deal with them is to stuff steel wool into their little holes."

The second lady said, "That sounds really tricky. Holding the steel wool in one hand, how do you keep their legs open with the other?"
Posted by: volcs0
Date: December 19, 2006 08:18AM
In our old house, we noticed all the droppings in the kitchen. I set 4 traps with chunky peanut butter wedged into the metal prong. I remember going to bed the first night. We were just settling in under the covers... "Pop... Pop... Pop... Pop". These were conventional 50 cent traps.

Amazing.

After a few days, they got "smart" and it became more difficult to bag them. But after a week, the problem was solved.

Good luck.
Date: December 19, 2006 08:21AM
One thing I didn't like about the poison is they would sometimes not make it outside and die in hidden places. Plus they can cause a lot of damage while you are waiting for them to die.

With the Quick Kill traps you know they are dead.

We left the garage door up Saturday because we had a warm spell. The next morning we had 2 trapped mice.

gg
Date: December 19, 2006 08:30AM
The pics Wurm posted are the traps I had good luck with.
Fortunately I only had mice in the house once, they always stay in the basement.
I think I've found all their ways in/out. They can be tough to find. Expanding foam is a good thing.

I've had the bags of pellet poison disappear overnite, only to find stashes in the Spring in bags of potting soil in the garage. Sometimes just two feet away.
Even if they're not hungry right now, they are opportunistic and love stashes of food for the Winter.
Posted by: vicrock
Date: December 19, 2006 08:35AM
You can also try the trash can trap.

Buy a galvanized metal trash can - put yummy snack in the bottom - build a ramp to the top, they will jump in to get the food and not be able to get out.

Put lid on can an drive them far away

Repeat.
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: December 19, 2006 09:01AM
Try this model:

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Date: December 19, 2006 09:43AM
Mr.Nibbles !
Posted by: mrthuse
Date: December 19, 2006 09:53AM
The problem's w/ the sensitivity of the trap. I glue a round toothpick in the middle of the short side (making a teeter-totter) and place the traps w/ the peanut butter side "up" off the floor 90 degrees to the wall. The weight of the mouse is enough to trigger the trap whether it actually gets to the bait or not.

Had mice in the Theatre scene shop. Not any more.
Dear God! Not poison!
Posted by: pdq
Date: December 19, 2006 10:22AM
I got tired of trapping the mice in our (mostly) finished basement, so I decided to go the D-con route this late summer/fall. It worked. Boy, did it work.

It con-verted all the live mice that we couldn't find into dead, rotting, smelly mice we couldn't find. We have only been able to stand going back into the basement recently.
Posted by: davemchine
Date: December 19, 2006 10:37AM
Wow, lots of good info in this thread. I'll never use poison now! I never have had luck with those inexpensive snap traps but have had good luck with the box traps. Once you have caught the mouse, open the trap over a garbage bag, swing bag over head and down into the concrete, throw mouse in trash...

Dave

Ukulele music I couldn't find anywhere else.
[colquhoun.info]
Posted by: olnacl
Date: December 19, 2006 11:29AM
The bacon bait worked for me when I had them licking the peanut butter off the trigger and not tripping the trap. I tied a bit of bacon to the trigger with dental floss. If they didn't die, at least their gum health improved. You don't think I'd spend more money for better traps when all I had to do was make it harder for them to get the bait?
Even worse was a squirrel problem. They'd get into the attic in winter and snuggle up around the vent for the gas water heater. There was a gap around the vent and they'd bring candy and nuts to the party, then drop the shells onto the water heater. I'd hear plink, plink in the night and find shells all around the heater in the morning. They also loved to go into the outhouse and push the TP down the hole. Got to the point where we took the roll with us when we left. Needless to say, my house was in the boonies up in Northern WI.

Posted by: prof
Date: December 19, 2006 11:36AM
I have a mouse situaton in a house I'm renting and don't want to mess with traps or poisons. Do any of those audio mouse repellents work?? They supposedly work at a frequency that mice find so irritating that they leave?? I'd be interested to hear if anyone
has had success with them.

TIA,
Prof
Re: Dear God! Not poison!
Date: December 19, 2006 01:58PM
Don't worry about the poison if you use the Quick Kill Traps. The traps kill them long before the poison would. They just can't resist the temptation to get there head under the bait cover to get their crack.... I mean treat, and Wham!!! its good night Irene.

I'm serious give the combination a try you will be impressed with the results.

gg
Posted by: JoeBob
Date: December 19, 2006 09:04PM
Max brought a mouse carcass to my room mate earlier today.
Good boy!
Cats 2, Mice 0
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 107
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020