advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Fixing a Crack in the Windshield
Posted by: kap
Date: August 17, 2017 07:22PM
Anyone here has successfully fixed a crack (smaller than a quarter coin) on a car's windshield?

SoCal for now.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Fixing a Crack in the Windshield
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: August 17, 2017 07:39PM
Just pay the glass guy $75 to take care of it.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Date: August 17, 2017 07:44PM
C(-)ris

$75?!! To fix the crack or to replace the windshield? If the latter, I'd like to know where and who offers this incredible cheap service.

SoCal for now.
Posted by: A-Polly
Date: August 17, 2017 07:47PM
Are you in a state where insurance isn't required to take care of this for you? Mine was small enough to just be sealed, and the insurance co. sent a guy from Safelight. He fixed it in the office parking lot while I was at work.

Good luck with whatever shop/product/other solution you find!
Date: August 17, 2017 07:51PM
A-Polly
Are you in a state where insurance isn't required to take care of this for you? Mine was small enough to just be sealed, and the insurance co. sent a guy from Safelight. He fixed it in the office parking lot while I was at work.

Good luck with whatever shop/product/other solution you find!

We are in So Cal. The deduction would be $250; however, we solely have liability coverage on our 2000 Honda CRV-LX.

SoCal for now.
Date: August 17, 2017 08:09PM
kap
C(-)ris

$75?!! To fix the crack or to replace the windshield? If the latter, I'd like to know where and who offers this incredible cheap service.

To fix a small crack. You've probably already wasted more time thinking about it than the effort it would have been to call any glass company and have them repair it with a lifetime warranty. You do know most every glass place repairs glass as well?

C(-)ris
Date: August 17, 2017 08:16PM
C(-)ris
kap
C(-)ris

To fix a small crack. You've probably already wasted more time thinking about it than the effort it would have been to call any glass company and have them repair it with a lifetime warranty. You do know most every glass place repairs glass as well?

A couple we inquired suggested replacement.

SoCal for now.
Posted by: bfd
Date: August 17, 2017 08:27PM
Depends on exactly where the crack is. Surprisingly, a rock took a very small piece out of our windshield. Within two days, the crack spread from the ding all the way to the top of the glass. Safelite works, but it isn't cheap. And you have to pay your deductable first. If yours is $250, then it's probably worth it unless you have the kind of insurance company who'll ding you for making a claim. (and despite what they say, they all do) We go with $1000 deductable, so it wasn't worth it. However, the insurance company did set up the appointment with Safelite, so that was convenient - and they came out the next day.

You can take it to an auto glass shop and see if they can plug it - but again, once the integrity of your glass is compromised, it won't be long until you have more problems. Unfortunately, once they bust the factory seal on your old glass, it'll never be 100% again.

Finally, if you have any kind of special case windshield - like a heads-up display or some kind of forward sensor in your rear-view mirror - you will likely pay a much higher price for a new windshield since they'll have to replace it with factory upgraded glass. Then you'll have to get everything re-calibrated. So be aware of those little "gotchas" if this applies to your vehicle. Good luck.
Date: August 17, 2017 08:32PM
kap
C(-)ris
kap
C(-)ris

Hard to argue with the experts, they obviously think it needs to be replaced. Glass places make more money on chip repair than replacement so they shouldn't be suggesting replacement unless it needs it. Did they look at it and come to this conclusion? Glass isn't something that is an easy DIY.

You are in California, I'm sure there is someone or a guy out of his garage that pulls used glass from a junk yard and installs it for $100 if you want to go the cheap route.

C(-)ris
Posted by: rz
Date: August 17, 2017 08:41PM
Here in Florida, if you have comprehensive coverage, then they'll fix or replace your windshield for free, no deductible. In fact, I've seen places that will GIVE you a $100 gift card if you take it to them.
Posted by: Carm
Date: August 17, 2017 08:46PM
Call or visit places before trying DIY. They usually offer a warranty on their repair. That being said, my BIL did fix his windshield with a kit. The most important thing is to get it fixed before the chip turns into a cracked windshield. Heat will do that. If the repair isn't done right the glass will crack with the change in temperature. My windshield was repaired from a chip about 6 years ago. Through snow and heat the repair hasn't failed. It was covered by my insurance.
Date: August 17, 2017 08:46PM
C(-)ris
kap
C(-)ris
kap
C(-)ris

Hard to argue with the experts, they obviously think it needs to be replaced. Glass places make more money on chip repair than replacement so they shouldn't be suggesting replacement unless it needs it. Did they look at it and come to this conclusion? Glass isn't something that is an easy DIY.

You are in California, I'm sure there is someone or a guy out of his garage that pulls used glass from a junk yard and installs it for $100 if you want to go the cheap route.

We have one more place to go for an estimate. His prices are higher than most other repair shops in town, but he did an outstanding body work on my wife's Toyota RAV4 (thanks goodness, the other party's insurance paid for it). That was 7-8 years ago.

I had thought about a driveby DIY guy who would spring one from a junkyard. That is a risk if there is leakage. He might be hard to track down. Had wife's Toyota windshield replaced at a local glass place. Kept leaking. Now that it's not raining we don't know if the last fix works.

SoCal for now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/2017 08:47PM by kap.
Posted by: ArtP
Date: August 17, 2017 10:50PM

We are in So Cal. The deduction would be $250; however, we solely have liability coverage on our 2000 Honda CRV-LX.

I have the same vehicle - I caught a rock right below the wiper earlier this summer - dime size chip/crack - 3 weeks later it was a crack slightly longer than $1 bill.

Call around - I was able to get a Tinted replacement windshield for $120 total with install. Progressive insurance company said the crack was too big to repair and wanted to send me to safelite for $289 which is less than my deductible so would have been out of pocket anyway.

I think outright chip repair should be less than $100 - check small auto glass repair shops. You pay a premium for that Safelight repair Safelite replace commercial and for them to come to YOU!
Date: August 17, 2017 10:59PM
ArtP

I have the same vehicle - I caught a rock right below the wiper earlier this summer - dime size chip/crack - 3 weeks later it was a crack slightly longer than $1 bill.

Call around - I was able to get a Tinted replacement windshield for $120 total with install. Progressive insurance company said the crack was too big to repair and wanted to send me to safelite for $289 which is less than my deductible so would have been out of pocket anyway.

I think outright chip repair should be less than $100 - check small auto glass repair shops. You pay a premium for that Safelight repair Safelite replace commercial and for them to come to YOU!

Will check it out. Thank you!

SoCal for now.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: August 17, 2017 11:25PM
Rock chips in the Seattle area run around $70 I think. My glass deductible is $100, but rock chip repairs are fully covered.
Posted by: bobinmurphy
Date: August 18, 2017 07:19AM
Talked with a Canadian in Haines Junction, Yukon about a small rock chip he'd just gotten in his windshield. He told me he usually had very good results keeping them from spreading by using clear finger nail polish on the spot. But it's something you probably need to do a quickly as you can after the damage is done.
Posted by: billb
Date: August 18, 2017 08:05AM
From what I've read and been told a rock impact that leaves a star shaped ding might not grow into a crack if you get one of the kits or have one done for you right away to try to contain the new stress area. As soon as one of the points on the impact star starts to spread it's game over. The two impacts I've seen grow did so with a rapid thermal change ( defroster heat on a cold windshield ).
Here in Ma you can't have a crack or a ding in the wiper area of the windshield, it won't pass inspection. That used to be the rule, so much has changed regarding vehicle safety and emission inspections in the last couple years.
I've never paid for nor a deductible for windshield glass replacement. Windshield glass may still be 100% covered here. They shouldn't want you driving around with a potentially dangerous vision impairment.
( although most cracks are just that, a crack )

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: Forrest
Date: August 18, 2017 09:32AM
If the crack is not in the drivers line of site, I recommend spending $20 on a windshield repair kit from your auto parts store and doing it yourself. I did this years ago and the crack never grew.
Date: August 18, 2017 09:36AM
Forrest
If the crack is not in the drivers line of site, I recommend spending $20 on a windshield repair kit from your auto parts store and doing it yourself. I did this years ago and the crack never grew.

The ding is in the middle of windshield. I attempted to repair it with DIY kit yesterday. Not sure if the resin has hardened as I was working in the underground garage. The instruction said it must be cured in sunshine for 3 hours.

SoCal for now.
Posted by: dfilpus
Date: August 18, 2017 09:44AM
Check your insurance. My auto insurance has a separate deductible for glass repairs. Chip repair is free. Windshield replacement is $100 deductible.
Date: August 18, 2017 09:12PM
kap
Forrest

The ding is in the middle of windshield. I attempted to repair it with DIY kit yesterday. Not sure if the resin has hardened as I was working in the underground garage. The instruction said it must be cured in sunshine for 3 hours.

That means it is a UV cure. It NEEDS the sunlight to cure. It won't ever fully cure in the parking garage.

C(-)ris
Date: August 18, 2017 11:28PM
C(-)ris
kap
Forrest

That means it is a UV cure. It NEEDS the sunlight to cure. It won't ever fully cure in the parking garage.

smiley-shocked003

SoCal for now.
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: August 21, 2017 05:29PM
kap
C(-)ris
kap
C(-)ris
kap
C(-)ris

We have one more place to go for an estimate. His prices are higher than most other repair shops in town, but he did an outstanding body work on my wife's Toyota RAV4 (thanks goodness, the other party's insurance paid for it). That was 7-8 years ago.

I had thought about a driveby DIY guy who would spring one from a junkyard. That is a risk if there is leakage. He might be hard to track down. Had wife's Toyota windshield replaced at a local glass place. Kept leaking. Now that it's not raining we don't know if the last fix works.

Does it leak at the drive thru car wash? If not, it's probably fixed.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 83
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020