advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
A couple more hummingbird pix
Posted by: DP
Date: August 24, 2017 07:16AM
I've been trying to get images of a male so I've been trying to attract more hummers. I researched feeders as, even tho we have a lot of flowers around, there doesn't seem to be a lot of hummingbirds around this year. I bought a brand called a HummZinger which is a highly rated feeder. Their selling points are a perch so the birds can sit while they eat and therefore they don't have to expend energy flying while they eat. They also have no yellow color on them which attracts wasps and hornets (according to their sales spiel). And I have not seen any adult males yet.
So I just put out my Canon SX710 on a tripod and video'd anything coming to the feeder then took some screenshots from the video.
I have two separate birds coming and, based on mrlynn's post, I believe the pair are the mother and it's baby that I posted pictures of earlier and I use the pic of the baby as my current sig.
But interestingly, I believe they are competitors now. I have noticed that when one is at the feeder and the other shows up, there will be a dispute, probably territorial. Mom helped the baby in it's early days, but eventually it's on it own and life reverts to the usual competitive situation.
Here's Mom at the feeder:

And the baby, which is a male, taking it's turn:

I can see that the baby is a little smaller than the female, and the spotting on it's throat will become the beautiful color next year that gives the Ruby-throated Hummingbird it's name. Hope it returns...

A throwback image to celebrate Autumn.

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: A couple more hummingbird pix
Posted by: Billybob
Date: August 24, 2017 07:26AM
Nice!

Thanks for sharing.
Posted by: rgG
Date: August 24, 2017 07:56AM
I saw a very plump hummingbird yesterday, while I was working in the garden at our local nature center.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Date: August 24, 2017 08:09AM
Male or female? Male Ruby-throats may be migrating already-they leave as early as the end of August. Our female from last year didn't leave till the first few days of October.

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
Posted by: riley5108
Date: August 24, 2017 08:40AM
As always very Nice DP!!

- Riley
Southern Indiana, B-Town
Posted by: billb
Date: August 24, 2017 08:42AM
They're fast, unless they stop to check you out, quite often they can zip right by unnoticed, so if you think that was a hummingbird, it probably was. One of the original ADD birds of flight. heh.
They don't flock and a lot of banding hasn't been done so their variable migration habits are interesting.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: Don C
Date: August 24, 2017 09:40AM
Nice photos!

Most years I won't see the ruby-throated hummers until August and it is just the last two weeks that they have been regular here. I have not seen a male this year.
Date: August 24, 2017 11:05AM
Where are you, Don C? They could be migrating if they're this late.

Posted by: steve...
Date: August 24, 2017 11:20AM
I've been having one come up and hover near me (4-5') while I'm watering my yard. I've seen them hover over the sprinkler also - must be the water that attracts them. I haven't seen them come as close in the past.

Northern California Coast
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 86
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020