advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
broke R Us?!....Toys R Us filing for bankruptcy.....
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: September 18, 2017 10:33AM
.....before the holidays [ or so the rumor goes ].....not a good sign....

Toys 'R' Us mulls bankruptcy filing: Wall Street Journal

.....Toys ‘R’ Us Inc could file for bankruptcy in the coming weeks as pressure from skittish suppliers intensifies, the Wall Street Journal reported on Friday, citing people familiar with the matter.

The company and its restructuring advisers are considering filing for Chapter 11 protection in the U.S. Bankruptcy Court in Richmond, Virginia, according to the WSJ report. (on.wsj.com/2h87WOt)

The privately-held toy retailer had previously said it was working with investment bank Lazard Ltd to help address its approximately $5 billion in debt, of which roughly $400 million comes due next year.

The potential Chapter 11 filing could be a result of the company’s suppliers tightening trade terms, including holding back on shipments unless the toy retailer is able to make cash payments on delivery, the newspaper reported.

Toys ‘R’ Us declined to comment on the report.

The move by Toys “R” Us to potentially file for bankruptcy comes at a time when more and more consumers increasingly make purchases from online retailers like Amazon.com Inc and avoid visiting brick-and-mortar shops.

There have been more than a dozen significant retail bankruptcies this year, but none for retailers as big as Toys “R” Us, which has more than 1,600 stores worldwide.

Toys tapped restructuring attorneys from Kirkland & Ellis LLP, CNBC reported this month.

The company has been saddled with debt since buyout firms KKR & Co L.P. (KKR.N) and Bain Capital LP, together with real estate investment trust Vornado Realty Trust (VNO.N), took Toys “R” Us private for $6.6 billion in 2005.

done fer..............?!

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 09/18/2017 10:41AM by NewtonMP2100.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: broke R Us?!....Toys R Us filing for bankruptcy.....
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: September 18, 2017 10:46AM
Amazon claims another victim. Where will it end ?
Posted by: JoeH
Date: September 18, 2017 10:54AM
It is not one of Bain Capital's success stories. They went on a buying binge of retail companies about 10-12 years ago, many have since failed or significantly downsized.
Posted by: billb
Date: September 18, 2017 11:26AM
JoeH
It is not one of Bain Capital's success stories. They went on a buying binge of retail companies about 10-12 years ago, many have since failed or significantly downsized.

yeah, Dunkin Donuts and Dominoes are doing so poorly.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: September 18, 2017 11:33AM
When they have the final closing sale, keep this in mind.

Makes about 4500 juicy burgers
Posted by: Acer
Date: September 18, 2017 11:33AM
Walmart has been gunning for Toys R Us toy business since before Amazon was a factor.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: September 18, 2017 11:43AM
Better use up the gift cards now I guess.
Date: September 18, 2017 11:51AM
billb
JoeH

Those two are among the exceptions, and Domino's was not part of the buying binge 10-12 years ago. Bain acquired 93% of Domino's from the founder in 1998. Many of the others acquired in this period are operating under relatively high debt loads as part of the restructuring Bain put in place after buying.
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: September 18, 2017 11:55AM
billb
JoeH

There... clarified it for you, since you couldn't read it.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: September 18, 2017 12:25PM
JoeH
... operating under relatively high debt loads as part of the restructuring Bain put in place after buying.

So.. vulture capitalists ?
Posted by: rz
Date: September 18, 2017 12:35PM
The only time we ever go there is when they have their free Lego builds. We never buy anything there.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: September 18, 2017 01:52PM
I don't go there because it makes me sad. Sad that we didn't have that plethora of choices in toys when I was a kid. Well, we DID have real Lawn Darts.
Posted by: bruceko
Date: September 18, 2017 06:07PM
We used the Sears Christmas catalogue as our annual toy wish list
Posted by: Onamuji
Date: September 18, 2017 06:53PM
cbelt3
Amazon claims another victim. Where will it end ?

The thing that bugs me about walking into a Toys R Us is the limited selection. Giant stores, but walking the aisles, it seems that they only provide shelf-space for sponsored toys and in most cases that means the same old cr@p that bored me as a kid. (Maybe it's not pay-for-shelf-space, but it sure feels like that.)

So, Hasbro and Mattel dominate with boring garbage that nobody wants and they finally get Catan 20 years late with no expansions. Lots of Air Hogs that barely get off the ground, no Syma. Got Munchkin so late that Target already had it and again you only see base-sets, probably because Steve Jackson games can't afford to pay the bribes do the promotion for more shelf space.

Decent console game sales and a nice Lego selection. I don't see that stuff sustaining them for long.

Date: September 19, 2017 06:52AM
....confirmed today that they are definitely filing bankruptcy...........

Posted by: space-time
Date: September 19, 2017 11:36AM
kids play with iPads and iPhones these days, even toddles. Way fewer actual toys than 10-20 years ago.
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: September 19, 2017 01:39PM
Racer X
I don't go there because it makes me sad. Sad that we didn't have that plethora of choices in toys when I was a kid. Well, we DID have real Lawn Darts.

Dude, sad that we couldn't afford that plethora of choices as a kid. We had a big (non-chain) toy store local to us but most of the stuff in there was financially out of reach.
Posted by: raz
Date: September 19, 2017 03:25PM
Lew Zealand
Racer X

Dude, sad that we couldn't afford that plethora of choices as a kid. We had a big (non-chain) toy store local to us but most of the stuff in there was financially out of reach.

You were lucky. We had a picture of a Toy Store and had to share it among the 12 of us.

--------------

Embarassing myself on the Internet since 1978.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/19/2017 03:25PM by raz.
Date: September 19, 2017 03:32PM
....ironic that Toys R Us......bought FAO Schwartz [ closed it ].....bought out Kay-Bee Toys ] closed it....and now they are the last 'toys only' retail store and they are dying.....

Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: September 20, 2017 08:16AM
Darn. There goes one local source of model rocket engines.
Date: September 20, 2017 09:34AM
NewtonMP2100
....ironic that Toys R Us......bought FAO Schwartz [ closed it ].....bought out Kay-Bee Toys ] closed it....and now they are the last 'toys only' retail store and they are dying.....

Actually K-B Toys was already closed and in liquidation. Toys R Us just bought the brand, website and other IP for a couple million afterwards. I followed that story as K-B was started and headquartered in my hometown.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 90
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020