advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
question about credit freeze: does it impact the free annual credit report?
Posted by: space-time
Date: September 21, 2017 07:24PM
You can obtain a free credit report from each agency once a year. NOT from the website advertised on TV, but from the actual web site

[www.annualcreditreport.com]

What happens if you freeze your credit, can you still get these free reports once a year?

Thanks
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: question about credit freeze: does it impact the free annual credit report?
Posted by: StingMe
Date: September 21, 2017 07:35PM
According to the FTC, yes:

[www.consumer.ftc.gov]

"Does a credit freeze affect my credit score?
No. A credit freeze does not affect your credit score.

A credit freeze also does not:

prevent you from getting your free annual credit report

keep you from opening a new account, applying for a job, renting an apartment, or buying insurance. But if you’re doing any of these, you’ll need to lift the freeze temporarily, either for a specific time or for a specific party, say, a potential landlord or employer. The cost and lead times to lift a freeze vary, so it’s best to check with the credit reporting company in advance.

prevent a thief from making charges to your existing accounts. You still need to monitor all bank, credit card and insurance statements for fraudulent transactions."
Posted by: graylocks
Date: September 21, 2017 07:52PM
don't know about the reports from annualcreditreport but according to clark howard if you sign up with Credit Karma BEFORE you freeze your credit you'll be able to view your credit report(s) whenever you want. Credit Karma also has free credit monitoring. howard is a big fan of freezes (has been for years) and highly recommends Credit Karma.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Date: September 21, 2017 08:04PM
graylocks
don't know about the reports from annualcreditreport but according to clark howard if you sign up with Credit Karma BEFORE you freeze your credit you'll be able to view your credit report(s) whenever you want. Credit Karma also has free credit monitoring. howard is a big fan of freezes (has been for years) and highly recommends Credit Karma.

I already have Credit Karma. I was skeptical at first, but eventually I signed up.
Posted by: FormerlySaleenl
Date: September 21, 2017 08:16PM
You can still get your credit reports, but you may not be able to get them online. Sometimes I can only get 1 of 3, sometimes 2 of 3, but I always have to mail in my request to at least one because I am automatically blocked from getting it online.

Of course, I also often fail the questions they ask you to prove it's really you. I used to live in University City, MO, just outside of St. Louis. Our zip code was listed for both cities and you could send us mail using either city name. I can't tell you the number of questions that offer both St. Louis and University City as answers and it's a crapshoot which one will be correct, since both are correct.

Sarah
Date: September 21, 2017 08:25PM
FormerlySaleenl
You can still get your credit reports, but you may not be able to get them online. Sometimes I can only get 1 of 3, sometimes 2 of 3, but I always have to mail in my request to at least one because I am automatically blocked from getting it online.
Sarah

I just had that happen to me, I got 2 (Transunion and Experian) but Equifax refuzes to show it to me online (I guess they take their security seriously NOW). LOL.

What do you do, do you mail in these documents? I would rather not.

Posted by: m.paris
Date: September 22, 2017 08:55AM
I've had trouble in the past from time to time with both Experian and Equifax. Located somewhere in the annual credit report information pages is a number that you can call for your credit report:

1-877-322-8228

Works well and I had my reports mailed to me. Got them in about a week. You might want to try that.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 131
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020