The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
The Verge reviews this week: iPhone 8, ATV5, Apple Watch
Posted by: sekker
Date: September 23, 2017 09:38PM
Here's the podcast summary (episode 275):

[art19.com]#

This is a first for the Apple-friendly site - they reviewed 3 brand new Apple products, and their recommendation was:

1) Apple Watch with LTE - do not buy, connectivity problems (this is also the recommendation of WSJ). Apple has admitted this problem as well.

2) Apple TV - do not buy unless you have a LOT of content on iTunes. Nilay from The Verge really goes into the issues. Note: if you have a 1080P TV, do NOT get the newest ATV.

3) iPhone 8 - their recommendation is do not buy but not because the product doesn't work right; instead, for most getting a cheaper phone (i.e. iPhone 6S or 7) is a better buy, or just wait for the iPhoneX.

I think the first 2 products seem to have the right hardware, but software is the issue (thus, will get better).

It's worth listening to the podcast as the written reviews on the website are not as detailed in the criticism.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: The Verge reviews this week: iPhone 8, ATV5, Apple Watch
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: September 23, 2017 10:42PM
I ordered an 8 plus, my 6S seems long in the tooth and slowish. Looking at the specs I don't see how they figure the 8 isn't a good upgrade from the 6S. The camera alone is worth it.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: vision63
Date: September 24, 2017 12:49PM
C(-)ris
I ordered an 8 plus, my 6S seems long in the tooth and slowish. Looking at the specs I don't see how they figure the 8 isn't a good upgrade from the 6S. The camera alone is worth it.

A thousand additional dollars for a cell phone camera? No. The 6 takes great photos. Hold out for the X. Thta's gonna be the bomb phone.
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: September 24, 2017 02:17PM
sekker
This is a first for the Apple-friendly site - they reviewed 3 brand new Apple products, and their recommendation was:

1) Apple Watch with LTE - do not buy, connectivity problems (this is also the recommendation of WSJ). Apple has admitted this problem as well.

Yes, Apple also admitted it was software-related. What does that have to do with buying the device?

2) Apple TV - do not buy unless you have a LOT of content on iTunes. Nilay from The Verge really goes into the issues. Note: if you have a 1080P TV, do NOT get the newest ATV.

Patel's review was informative and fairly deep. Your note seems to be a pessimistic interpretation of the reviewer's opinion. What he said was, "The good news is Apple told me it’s continuing to refine the processing it’s doing with the goal of making HD SDR content look normal, and the Apple TV gets regular software updates, so it’s not an empty promise. But right now, if you just want to pass along an unmolested HD video feed, you’ll have to change the output settings of the entire system."

3) iPhone 8 - their recommendation is do not buy but not because the product doesn't work right; instead, for most getting a cheaper phone (i.e. iPhone 6S or 7) is a better buy, or just wait for the iPhoneX.

Sure, that's good advice—advice that could have been applied to very new generation of hardware.

I think the first 2 products seem to have the right hardware, but software is the issue (thus, will get better).

Yep.
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: September 24, 2017 02:22PM
vision63
C(-)ris

A thousand additional dollars for a cell phone camera? No. The 6 takes great photos. Hold out for the X. Thta's gonna be the bomb phone.

I don't understand the "thousand dollars" part. The iPhone 8 starts at $699 and most people will buy it on some kind of carrier time-payment plan. Also, the camera isn't the only thing great about the new model.

On the other hand, I agree that even the 6 takes great photos and that the X will be terrific.
Posted by: sekker
Date: September 24, 2017 02:40PM
AA- listen to the podcast to get Nilay's true opinion (he's far more diplomatic in the written review). He cannot recommend the new AppleTV unless you have a LOT of Apple content.

The reason for the do not buy on the LTE Watch is that neither of two loaner models worked for the reviewer. Seems reasonable to me to not recommend purchasing a product that doesn't work.
Posted by: Onamuji
Date: September 24, 2017 02:54PM
In respect of #1, I've had this problem on my iPhone and removed all public WiFi presets so I don't expect the LTE watch to have any problems with WiFi. No problems with WiFi means no switching problems between WiFi and cellular. I expect that part to be seamless.

Of more concern are the iOS 11 and iTunes 12.7 requirements. Both suck for me. Will be working on removing/replacing my 32-bit apps for weeks before I can move to iOS 11 with minimal frustration

Posted by: vision63
Date: September 24, 2017 04:00PM
Article Accelerator
vision63
C(-)ris

I don't understand the "thousand dollars" part. The iPhone 8 starts at $699 and most people will buy it on some kind of carrier time-payment plan. Also, the camera isn't the only thing great about the new model.

On the other hand, I agree that even the 6 takes great photos and that the X will be terrific.

In my opinion, the plus is much more of a greater value. Then there's tax, if you want to take advantage of quick charge (and you do), none of the stuff you need is in the box, cases etc, we're hovering around a grand. You can pay on time, but it gets paid. The only problem I have with the X, is you really do need the fingerprint sensor. You don't want to have to put the phone to your face every time. The X gets you the smaller size without much compromise. Win. Except for the price. Pay to play.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 424
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020