advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Star Trek Dicovery
Posted by: kap
Date: September 24, 2017 10:30PM
Watching it now. The CGI is impressive. The story is undetermined at this point.

SoCal for now.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Star Trek Dicovery
Posted by: Billybob
Date: September 25, 2017 10:19AM
Agreed.

And a day later, the story is still indeterminate.

Worst, I think that the CBS All-Access limit may kill the show before it gets a fair hearing. I didn't find this initial episode enough of a tease to get me to sign on. If they had 3-4 episodes on regular TV, that might be enough to hook me. But the dazzling effects and weak story were not enough to get me to commit to yet another $6-$10/month subscription.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: September 25, 2017 10:23AM
.....the report by CBS was they had record sign ups for CBS Access to watch it....but again no proof but their word that they did.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: kap
Date: September 25, 2017 10:33AM
Billybob
Agreed.

And a day later, the story is still indeterminate.

Worst, I think that the CBS All-Access limit may kill the show before it gets a fair hearing. I didn't find this initial episode enough of a tease to get me to sign on. If they had 3-4 episodes on regular TV, that might be enough to hook me. But the dazzling effects and weak story were not enough to get me to commit to yet another $6-$10/month subscription.

After last night episode, the jury is still out for me. Agree with you: the series need more exposure on public TV. I am hoping it will be a successful run. I don't care much for the movie series.

SoCal for now.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: September 25, 2017 11:22AM
NewtonMP2100
.....the report by CBS was they had record sign ups for CBS Access to watch it....but again no proof but their word that they did.....

So what is a record number of signups for something that had no sign ups previously? Just the parents of the actors signing up to watch there little babushi could be a record.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Posted by: ArtP
Date: September 25, 2017 11:38AM
I tried to search Xfinity OnDemand and it didn't come up - is it a CBS Access only thing? I forgot to record it if it was on Broadcast TV.

Been enjoying outdoors this month before Michigan winter kicks in instead of being indoors with TV.

Have a few full seasons of some shows in cue, The only thing I watch in entirety is The Strain on FX.
Date: September 25, 2017 11:54AM
Yes, in the U.S., it is only CBS All Access.

They showed the pilot on regular CBS broadcast TV, but all remaining episodes are exclusively on the CBS subscription offering.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2017 11:55AM by Billybob.
Date: September 25, 2017 11:55AM
......the 1st episode is free on CBS but all subsequent episode are on CBS All Access their streaming subscription service......I'm guessing they will reair the pilot maybe on Saturday.....but I could be wrong.....

Posted by: cbelt3
Date: September 25, 2017 03:03PM
$6.99 per month to watch it ? Nope nope nope nope nope. CBS can go stick it in their big eyeball logo.
Posted by: michaelb
Date: September 25, 2017 07:40PM
So this won't be broadcast on TV? I agree, I won't get to see it until it moves to something like netflix. too bad.
Date: September 25, 2017 07:49PM
....only the 1st episode.....CBS wants you to pay for their streaming service CBS All Access to watch it.....

Posted by: Onamuji
Date: September 25, 2017 10:28PM
Fringe!

I've been trying to figure out why the intro is so familiar.

It's basically the intro to Fringe with Star Trek stuff substituting for the butterfly, etc.

Date: September 26, 2017 08:44AM
Onamuji
Fringe!

I've been trying to figure out why the intro is so familiar.

It's basically the intro to Fringe with Star Trek stuff substituting for the butterfly, etc.

Well, I definitely hear some Fringe in it, but I also hear TOS, TNG, and DS9 in there as well. I suspect the themes from the other two series are represented as well, I'm just not that familiar with those themes.
Posted by: billb
Date: September 26, 2017 02:29PM
almost seemed like there were separate teams of writers at some points

not paying to stream it so we'll have to see how they actually distribute it later

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: Onamuji
Date: September 26, 2017 07:12PM
billb
almost seemed like there were separate teams of writers at some points...

Or a team of CBS executives dictating key story elements by committee.

Which is what drove Fuller off.

Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: September 27, 2017 01:43PM
I can’t get CBS OTA, and they have content besides Discovery I’m also interested in, so six bucks a month works for me.
Date: September 27, 2017 02:27PM
....the only original stuff they have it 'The Good Fight'....other stuff last time I looked was old shows......like 'MacGyver' and old CBS shows....

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 104
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020