advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Windows PC - won't shut down. Just restarts back up. Software issue? Hardware? Bios setting?
Posted by: clay
Date: September 25, 2017 07:18PM
Recently got a dell desktop PC. Seems like a decent machine, nice video card, i5, etc. I've got Win 7 Pro installed, ran all of the updates, downloaded all (I think) of the Dell drivers, etc. Seems to be running just dandy. One issue. With a shut-down command from Windows, the computer goes through the normal shutdown process, but as soon as power is off, it powers right back up, with less than a second break between power off and the restart process.

In researching the issue, I didn't find anything yet that seems to indicate a solution. I turned off some option in Windows about auto restart after a power outage or something like that. I looked through the BIOS settings and nothing stuck out to me.

Where should I be looking for a solution? Does this sound like a hardware issue of some sort? Power supply issue? Something on the motherboard not getting the right signal when the shutdown command is issued? Or is it a software issue of some sort?

Looking for any ideas you might have. I'm hoping to get this machine squared away so I can get it to a new home soon.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Windows PC - won't shut down. Just restarts back up. Software issue? Hardware? Bios setting?
Posted by: rouderon
Date: September 25, 2017 07:49PM
Might sound bizarre, but have you tried reseating the ram? Once in a while we'll have a desktop do that at work and this is the usual fix.
Re: Windows PC - won't shut down. Just restarts back up. Software issue? Hardware? Bios setting?
Posted by: DewGuy
Date: September 25, 2017 08:20PM
See if this will help My Computer Reboots When I tell It to Shut Down
Date: September 25, 2017 09:28PM
rouderon
Might sound bizarre, but have you tried reseating the ram? Once in a while we'll have a desktop do that at work and this is the usual fix.

yup. just tried that. good suggestion. even swapped which slots that the RAM were in.
Date: September 25, 2017 09:31PM
DewGuy
See if this will help My Computer Reboots When I tell It to Shut Down

I think I saw that link, thanks. The "system failure" "auto restart" option is the one that I had previously unchecked. To no avail.

I did check the system logger and saw the shutdown/restart messages. But nothing that seemed to give any clues about the reason for the behavior.
Date: September 25, 2017 09:33PM
OK, so I just tried swapping out keyboard and mouse for different ones I have on hand. Same behavior. But then something strange happened. I decided to just unplug both keyboard and mouse and start up. Now, the computer will boot to the desktop, but before windows has fully loaded/started up all the services, it does the shutdown/restart thing on its own. Cursor on screen spins with the Win7 desktop in background, and then it just crashes/powers off.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: September 26, 2017 12:20AM
A bad hard drive secctor? Have you tried a backup/clone and a restore (with a decent third party utility)? I'm not going to suggest the pain of doing a full clean install because it takes so damn long.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Date: September 26, 2017 12:32AM
Have you tried contacting Dell?
Posted by: Carm
Date: September 26, 2017 02:30AM
Try updating the BIOS with the latest version. Before that though, start the computer up with a reinstall DVD or Flash drive and repair the computer OS or Use Terminal Commands after starting from the Reinstall DVD
Date: September 26, 2017 08:09AM
Have you checked the Event Viewer? Also, is it still shutting down before it fully loads, or is that only if the mouse & keyboard are unplugged? If it's not going fully into Windows before it shuts itself down, you may want to boot into Safe Mode and see if this still occurs. If it starts ok in Safe Mode, it's most likely a bad driver. I also 2nd updating the BIOS if you haven't already.
Date: September 26, 2017 08:24AM
ok, update:

booted into safe mode with the 2nd/backup keyboard and mouse connected. started up just fine into safe mode. let it sit for a couple of minutes, then issued the shutdown command. It shut down and stayed off.

Restarted computer normally, shut off before fully loading windows (got to the desktop, but was still starting up stuff when it crashed).

Now booted into safe mode again, restoring to an earlier restore point to see if anything that was installed in the interim is causing the issue.
Date: September 26, 2017 08:37AM
also, it looks like BIOS is already current
Date: September 26, 2017 08:42AM
restore complete. Shut down now happens correctly. But I'll need to reinstall some drivers. I'll test shutdown after each one :-)
Date: September 26, 2017 10:23AM
Glad you (kind of) figured it out :-)
Event Viewer may give you a clue as to which driver is the culprit.
Date: September 26, 2017 10:24AM
thanks...yeah, I'll dig into Event Viewer if things start giving me trouble again.
Date: September 26, 2017 12:41PM
aha...it looks to be the GPU driver. Now rolling that back with system restore.

It's an NVIDIA card/driver. What options do I have to get the driver without all of the other crap that the "NVIDIA Experience" (or whatever it's called) installs? I'll need to look at the options, and see if there's a super-base level install option.
Date: September 26, 2017 01:22PM
Did you get the driver from NVidia or from the Dell site?
Date: September 26, 2017 01:22PM
nvidia...I think the GPU was aftermarket, so I don't see anything on the Dell support site for this GPU.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/2017 01:23PM by clay.
Date: September 26, 2017 01:30PM
clay
aha...it looks to be the GPU driver. Now rolling that back with system restore.

It's an NVIDIA card/driver. What options do I have to get the driver without all of the other crap that the "NVIDIA Experience" (or whatever it's called) installs? I'll need to look at the options, and see if there's a super-base level install option.

Go here, fill in the info and download the driver, the installer will allow you to customize the install for just the driver, or the parts you want.
Date: September 26, 2017 01:31PM
Ah!
Maybe try letting Windows Update install the driver - I could be mistaken, but I believe it will only install just the driver and not NVidia Experience
Date: September 27, 2017 08:35AM
ok. Reinstalled just the "graphics driver" in the nvidia installer (current release version). Crashes windows upon startup. So, back to doing the system restore thing and trying something else. I'm trying to decide whether it might be worth just downloading a version of the Nvidia installer from a year ago or something.

I don't believe Windows Update has a driver for this particular GPU. At least, not that's showing up in the list of available updates.
Date: September 27, 2017 01:24PM
Bummer :-(
Have you Googled the video card against the Dell model to se if anyone else is experiencing the same issue?
Date: September 27, 2017 04:20PM
clay
ok. Reinstalled just the "graphics driver" in the nvidia installer (current release version). Crashes windows upon startup. So, back to doing the system restore thing and trying something else. I'm trying to decide whether it might be worth just downloading a version of the Nvidia installer from a year ago or something.

I don't believe Windows Update has a driver for this particular GPU. At least, not that's showing up in the list of available updates.

Try going one or two version back, you can find older versions of Nvidia drivers here.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 85
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020