advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
15k Miles: is fuel system cleaning necesary?
Posted by: space-time
Date: October 05, 2017 11:22AM
I took my 2016 CX-5 to dealer for an oil change. $49.95 for full synthetic, I could probably get oil changes cheaper at some lube shop but should I trust those guys with the car? anyway, as long cart is still in warranty, probably 5-6 oil changes at the dealer are not going to make me broke.

They called and they said they recommend tire rotation (29.99), but I can get that done at Costco for less and they also balance the tires.

The dealer also said they recommend fuel system cleaning at 15k and every 30k miles after that. $239.99 I think. I said no thank you, I will look into it, and if necessary, I will do 30k, 60k, etc. Not 15, 45, 75.

What do you guys think, is fuel system cleaning really necessary at 15k?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/2017 11:23AM by space-time.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: 15k Miles: is fuel system cleaning necesary?
Posted by: Speedy
Date: October 05, 2017 11:25AM
No. And if you wanted to, you can clean it the same way the dealer does - by dumping a $12 can of fuel system cleaner in your gas tank.

Oil changes every 15k?

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/2017 11:27AM by Speedy.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: October 05, 2017 11:25AM
I would go off the manufacturer recommendation, not the dealer. That being said I have never had a fuel system cleaned on any of my vehicles, for better or for worse.

EDIT: although I have run a bottle of fuel system cleaner through every so often myself.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/2017 12:43PM by mikebw.
Posted by: space-time
Date: October 05, 2017 11:27AM
Speedy
No.

Oil changes every 15k?

this is #3, every 5k. That is also probably overkill.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: October 05, 2017 11:29AM
space-time
Speedy
No.

Oil changes every 15k?

this is #3, every 5k. That is also probably overkill.

Do what the manufacturer requires in order to maintain your warranty.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: billb
Date: October 05, 2017 11:41AM

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: October 05, 2017 12:00PM
It should be illegal to recommend services that a vehicle cannot possibly need. There is no scenario where you would need this on a vehicle that new filling up at a modern gas station.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: jdc
Date: October 05, 2017 12:15PM
Like my Mazdas, manual says every 7500 miles, so 5000 miles is unecessary.

And if your driving is limited, or you are a gentle driver driving around with your blinker on 24/7, or youre not using it as a taxi, easy to go longer.

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: October 05, 2017 12:21PM
Don't forget to lube your muffler bearings.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: October 05, 2017 12:42PM
space-time
I took my 2016 CX-5 to dealer for an oil change. $49.95 for full synthetic, I could probably get oil changes cheaper at some lube shop but should I trust those guys with the car?

I wouldn't. If you trust your dealership's service department, it's best to get it done there.

The dealer also said they recommend fuel system cleaning at 15k and every 30k miles after that.

What does your Owner's Manual say? I don't see any such recommendation in the manual for my MX-5. Look under "Fuel System" in the Maintenance Schedule section of the manual.

(The CX-5 has a high compression engine using direct fuel injection. Some people feel that DFI can result in greater valve fouling than conventionally injected engines. However, I've seen no indication that it's an issue on Mazda's engines and given Mazda's maintenance recommendations, it doesn't think so either.

[www.enginebuildermag.com]
[www.autoguide.com] )
Posted by: jdc
Date: October 05, 2017 12:45PM
Not exactly the same, CX-5 2017 manual says 7500

PDF: [www.mazdausa.com]

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Carm
Date: October 05, 2017 12:46PM
As recommended, follow manufacturers recommendations. Dealers repair shop is trying to make some money off uninformed consumers. As for fuel system cleaner, check online for reviews on what actually works. There are a few on YouTube.
Posted by: msglee
Date: October 05, 2017 01:27PM
I dump a bottle of Chevron's Pro-Gard fuel injector cleaner in the tank about 3 times a year. My wife's 2000 Dodge Caravan still runs great. I think it's on sale now at Costco.
Posted by: Uncle Wig
Date: October 05, 2017 01:38PM
First of all, stop taking your car to the dealer. Their job is to upsell you on a lot of unnecessary work. Find a reliable independent mechanic.

Second, no: cleaning your fuel system is not necessary at 15k and probably never if you buy detergent gasoline.

Posted by: mikebw
Date: October 05, 2017 01:47PM
Uncle Wig
First of all, stop taking your car to the dealer. Their job is to upsell you on a lot of unnecessary work. Find a reliable independent mechanic.

In the past I would have agreed with you, but I have discovered recently that for some procedures the dealer is actually cheaper than an independent shop. Case in point as 30K service on our 14' Prius V, I called both and the dealer was cheaper by over $50. Plus I get to use their nice lounge with free Wifi to do work.

As always do your research and call your prices, you may come out ahead.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: October 05, 2017 01:55PM
Article Accelerator
space-time
I took my 2016 CX-5 to dealer for an oil change. $49.95 for full synthetic, I could probably get oil changes cheaper at some lube shop but should I trust those guys with the car?

I wouldn't. If you trust your dealership's service department, it's best to get it done there. An independent mechanic who you trust is an even better choice.

The dealer also said they recommend fuel system cleaning at 15k and every 30k miles after that.

What does your Owner's Manual say?

This is what my response would state, if I were to type one up.

It is what it is.
Date: October 05, 2017 02:03PM
msglee
I dump a bottle of Chevron's Pro-Gard fuel injector cleaner in the tank about 3 times a year. My wife's 2000 Dodge Caravan still runs great. I think it's on sale now at Costco.

What does Costco get for a 17 year old caravan these days ?

The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: JPK
Date: October 05, 2017 02:27PM
I run a bottle of SeaFoam about every third tank. My 07 Chevy Avalanche with 130k miles have NEVER had an issue with the fuel system.

JPK
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: October 05, 2017 03:33PM
JPK
I run a bottle of SeaFoam about every third tank. My 07 Chevy Avalanche with 130k miles have NEVER had an issue with the fuel system.

JPK

Most people don't have fuel system problems period. I've owned 30 some odd cars and never once used a drop of system cleaner. I've never had a bad injector.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: Yoyodyne ArtWorks
Date: October 05, 2017 03:55PM
Fuel system problems shouldn't be a concern, but carbon build-up on the intake valves of Direct Injection (DI) engines is an issue that many people will need to address on their cars at some point.

Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: October 05, 2017 05:01PM
Yoyodyne ArtWorks
Fuel system problems shouldn't be a concern, but carbon build-up on the intake valves of Direct Injection (DI) engines is an issue that many people will need to address on their cars at some point.

That depends on the make and vintage of the car. Some may never have an issue with this. See my prior posting's links.
Posted by: testcase
Date: October 05, 2017 06:11PM
I add a bottle of Techron every 3~4 months to my Prius.
Posted by: Forrest
Date: October 05, 2017 07:14PM
In my opinion, if you use Top Tier gas, you don't need the fuel system cleaner at 15K miles. Fuel system cleaner could be beneficial on high mileage engines (over 100K). Top Tier list here
Posted by: wurm
Date: October 05, 2017 07:21PM
There's Recommended Maintenance and Required Maintenance. Often separated by many dollars and many months/miles.

The only time I did the (Dealer) recommended maintenance was when I bought a new car from them and they offered free tires for life and they doubled the factory warranty if I did so. I got two sets of tires out of them. And I stopped going there when my warranty was up.
Posted by: Mr645
Date: October 06, 2017 08:04AM
JPK

JPK

I've never used any fuel additive in a 2006 Chevy Pick up and at 116k miles it runs great, never any issues with the fuel system
Posted by: Mr645
Date: October 06, 2017 08:05AM
testcase

Is that with every tank of gas?
Date: October 06, 2017 08:25AM
Mr645
testcase

It might be the same tank, added to minimize the hydrocarbons precipitating out.

[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: testcase
Date: October 06, 2017 11:56AM
Mr645
testcase

A mechanic I trust recommended Techron years ago so, I add ONE bottle of Chevron's Techron (poured directly into my Prius' gas tank) every 3~4 months, NOT one bottle in with every fill up. I'm sure you could Techron more often; I just add Techron occasionally as cheap insurance. Pro Guard has some Techron in it but pure Techron is still available.

NOTE: Chevron gasoline had Techron as a standard additive years ago. It still does so, if you buy Chevron gasoline, you're automatically getting Techron and, don't need to pay for extra. There are NO Chevron gas stations near me; that's why I periodically add a bottle of Techron. Warehouse clubs sell both Pro Guard AND Techron. That's where I buy it.

[www.google.com].
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 112
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020