advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
transfer miniDV tape to DVD?
Posted by: space-time
Date: October 07, 2017 09:46PM
Once I had a Panasonic DVD / Hard Drive recorder that I used to record TV shows and burn DVDs, but then with conversion to Analog TV, it was unused and I ended up selling it for almost what I paid for it on Amazon. I now deeply regret it, as Mother in Law has about 20 miniDV tapes (standard definition) that wants me to burn on DVDs. Which means I need to import in iMovie, and then burn to DVD. I would rather do this in one single step.

So I found these 2 on Amazon.

NEW $77
[www.amazon.com]

but it is unclear if it has Analog input... it may be specified on some review somewhere.

On the other hand this USED $150 unit does have firewire input which makes recording much easier

[www.amazon.com]

Is there a better option out there?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: transfer miniDV tape to DVD?
Posted by: testcase
Date: October 07, 2017 10:34PM
I do NOT see that the first unit you link claims to RECORD TO DVD (it's described as a "DVD PLAYER"). I only see "USB recording" (whatever that is). The second link DOES say it records to DVD and, even lists all the DVD media type it will burn to. The second unit does say it has S-Video and Component (Red/White/Yellow jacks) inputs. I think you might be able to get an S-Video to some other connector. What output connectors does your MIL mini-tape unit have?
Posted by: jh
Date: October 07, 2017 11:18PM
On a similar note.

Fortunately I kept my Samsung VHS/DVD recorder for an occasion such as you mentioned. My sister have about 20 VHS-C tapes she made of our late parents 20 something years ago as well as other things. I purchased a VHS-C to VHS tape adapter. I did not want to sit in front of a TV, mess with hooking up the equipment, etc. to burn to a DVD. Instead I used my Roxio Easy VHS To DVD adapter for my computer and recorded them to my external hard drive so I could pick and choose in iMovie what sections I wanted on a DVD. Worked like a charm transferring the tape to the hard drive.
Date: October 08, 2017 03:00AM
testcase
I do NOT see that the first unit you link claims to RECORD TO DVD (it's described as a "DVD PLAYER"). I only see "USB recording" (whatever that is). The second link DOES say it records to DVD and, even lists all the DVD media type it will burn to. The second unit does say it has S-Video and Component (Red/White/Yellow jacks) inputs. I think you might be able to get an S-Video to some other connector. What output connectors does your MIL mini-tape unit have?

Good catch, thanks.

The camera has FireWire (I used that to import videos to Mac), a USB (I used that once to import video to a computer with XP about 10 years ago, I am not sure if I can do that with Windows 7) and a bunch of analog connections, I think S-Video and composite
Posted by: nwyaker
Date: October 08, 2017 08:09AM
Passthrough function on camera you have ? I have an older Canon for that purpose.
Date: October 08, 2017 08:57AM
nwyaker
Passthrough function on camera you have ? I have an older Canon for that purpose.

you mean ask her to connect the camera to TV? that could work, but she just gave away her camera (FIL died and she did not use it). I have a Panasonic which I do not use so I can give her mine. But I am afraid she will jam the miniDV tapes, those seem so fragile.
Posted by: michaelb
Date: October 08, 2017 09:09AM
I haven't done this in a long time, but I doubt there is anyway you are doing this in "one step". At least for me, it was 3-5 steps, none of them "easy" and it will take time.

How are you playing the tape? I was thinking passthrough referred to what my old camera could do, it could output the DV recording directly (over firewire), so I was not playing anything in analog and once I had the file, I was importing a dv file into iMovie.

If you are playing analog video into a DVR that can burn a DVD directly, maybe that is close to one step (I have never had a device like that). but you would likely not be able to edit the video or set up titles and there would be lose in quality as it gets converted to analog and then encoded as DVD format.

Good luck.
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: October 08, 2017 11:43AM
Depends on the Mac.
I use a late 2008 unibody MacBook Pro with Firewire.

It used to be:
If the miniDV camera has a firewire (IEEE1394) jack, connect it to firewire on the Mac, import with iMovie, and burn to DVD with iDVD.

I don't have as simple an answer for an inexpensive alternative in the absence of Firewire.
Date: October 08, 2017 12:21PM
I have a Mini 2012 with Firewire, not sure if the version of iMovie on that can burn DVDs.

I also found out her DVD player (for TV) back home is broken. Maybe I just export at Quicktime movies and load to an external hard drive, and show her hot plug into her MBA and watch movies that way. I could keep a backup at my place of course, and then I also have the miniDV tapes as another form of backup.
Posted by: decay
Date: October 09, 2017 11:15AM
If anyone here is dumping a Hi8 8mm camcorder, PM me. Need to transfer a few Hi8 tapes to digital.

Have a standard 8mm, want the better audio.

---
Posted by: rz
Date: October 09, 2017 02:04PM
I was lucky to purchase a professional DV/Mini-DV player/recorder at an auction a few years ago. Nobody wanted it because they just thought it was a VCR. At the time, it was selling used on eBay for around $900. I paid $20 for it. I have about 50 miniDV tapes I need to convert. Already did all my 8mm tapes, and almost all of my VHS tapes. My miniDV camcorder died about 10 years ago, so I couldn't use it anymore. It has firewire out, so I supposed I'll be importing to iMovie.

If you lived anywhere close to Orlando, I'd lend it to you.
Posted by: decay
Date: October 09, 2017 02:33PM
That's a cool unit! Can you share the model number & brand?

---
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 191
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020