advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Huge drop in credit score due to Irma storm
Posted by: Mr645
Date: October 13, 2017 07:28AM
I use Credit Karma to monitor my credit score and it typically updates every 7 days. Yesterday I get a notification that my score had changed. I Karma shows two scores, one from Transunion and one from Equifax.
Transunion is unchanged and shows the typically updates that my two car lease balances have dropped one payment each, no change in score. BUT
Equifax shows those two lease balance changes as well as a note from my Mortgage company, Chase. Chase added a note that I was "Affected by Natural Disaster" I also see a 71 point drop in my credit score.

Sure, Hurricane Irma blew over me and my home, but I had a total of $220 in minor cosmetic damage to my home. Been fixed, never lost power, was not late on any payments, never called any creditor to request any assistance.

"he is going to start WW3!!!!"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/13/2017 07:29AM by Mr645.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Huge drop in credit score due to Irma storm
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: October 13, 2017 07:44AM
Credit agencies are uncontrolled unorganized parasites on the world. And should die. Especially Equifax, whose concept of security involves leaving the key under the flower pot instead of the door mat.
Posted by: Yoyodyne ArtWorks
Date: October 13, 2017 08:24AM
cbelt3
Credit agencies are uncontrolled unorganized parasites on the world. And should die. Especially Equifax, whose concept of security involves leaving the key under the flower pot instead of the door mat.

Poetic...and accurate!

Posted by: Ombligo
Date: October 13, 2017 08:49AM
We are in the FEMA zone as well, but currently nothing has changed with my score. We have one Chase account, no note posted (yet)

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias

The German word for contraceptive is “Schwangerschaftsverhütungsmittel”. By the time you finished saying that, it’s too late
Posted by: nwyaker
Date: October 13, 2017 09:34AM
cbelt3

goodone
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: October 13, 2017 10:20AM
What annoys me is that these companies hold sway over people's lives like a government agency, but yet they have very little regulation to adhere to. Heck, Equifax has been hacked so many times in the last few weeks that they're looking like a dish at Benihana...yet they continue to be trusted with ALL of my life's vital information and there's NOTHING I can do about it. I can't pick which credit agency I trust. I can't force a creditor to use one over another. I can't tell Equifax to delete my information. I have no ownership of the situation but bear the entirety of responsibility for the outcome their behavior.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: $tevie
Date: October 13, 2017 04:50PM
ztirffritz
What annoys me is that these companies hold sway over people's lives like a government agency, but yet they have very little regulation to adhere to. Heck, Equifax has been hacked so many times in the last few weeks that they're looking like a dish at Benihana...yet they continue to be trusted with ALL of my life's vital information and there's NOTHING I can do about it. I can't pick which credit agency I trust. I can't force a creditor to use one over another. I can't tell Equifax to delete my information. I have no ownership of the situation but bear the entirety of responsibility for the outcome their behavior.
You are so right. It's an outrage.

Posted by: billb
Date: October 14, 2017 03:00PM
Mr645
I use Credit Karma to monitor my credit score and it typically updates every 7 days. Yesterday I get a notification that my score had changed. I Karma shows two scores, one from Transunion and one from Equifax.
Transunion is unchanged and shows the typically updates that my two car lease balances have dropped one payment each, no change in score. BUT
Equifax shows those two lease balance changes as well as a note from my Mortgage company, Chase. Chase added a note that I was "Affected by Natural Disaster" I also see a 71 point drop in my credit score.

Sure, Hurricane Irma blew over me and my home, but I had a total of $220 in minor cosmetic damage to my home. Been fixed, never lost power, was not late on any payments, never called any creditor to request any assistance.

It will be interesting to see if the score edges back up incrementally over time or just back up the whole 71points some day (soon). Chase must be pumping up a number to some end as well .
How do they know about the $220 ? or do they

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: Mr645
Date: October 14, 2017 03:21PM
It will be interesting to see if the score edges back up incrementally over time or just back up the whole 71points some day (soon). Chase must be pumping up a number to some end as well .
How do they know about the $220 ? or do they

They can't have any idea. I had some siding come loose, hired a company to come and fix it and the charged me $220 to fix it. I paid them in cash. Never lost power, cell service, TV service, or internet. Really have no financial burden, I have a mortgage of under $1000, two car leases that total under $1,000 and we put $4k a month away for retirement. I don;t know why marking my mortgage account as "Affected by Natural Disaster" should matter. It did not affect my payments on the mortgage or anything else. I never contacted Chase for any assistance, I pay my mortgage online.

"he is going to start WW3!!!!"
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 141
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020