advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
What about micro four-thirds? (Or, I may be suffering from new-cameraitis)
Posted by: Sam3
Date: October 19, 2017 07:41AM
I'm getting the itch to modify my camera gear, I have not been happy with the results that I've been getting with my Canon 7DMkii and Tamron 16-300 lens combo. The same body with my Tamron 70-200 f2.8 also hasn't been netting me the results that I like. I also have a Canon 6D, which I use with the aforementioned Tamron 70-200 and I like its images much better, I also have the Canon 24-70 f2.8 and I really like what it produces with the 6D.

I primarily got the 7D to shoot sports pictures of my daughter's volleyball games, but I've found that I'm getting better results with the 6D even though it has a slower FPS, I seem to have been able learn how to time the shutter release.

However, I've needed to add another daughter-involved sport to my list of photo documenting - rowing. This requires log-reach lenses, and, like I mentioned earlier, the 7D+16-300 doesn't seem to quite cut it, the pictures always tend to be soft. I'm looking at the Sony RX10 iv, not only for this, but as a travel camera, as we are planning to go to Latvia next year and I don't want to be bogged down with heavy camera gear. But I'm not completely convinced that the 1" sensor will be good enough. I just happened upon a micro four-thirds blog whose author says that for 95% of his work the Panasonic Lumix m4/3 is fine and saves on the weight of equipment.

So, now I'm considering dumping at least the 7D and associated EF-S lenses, if not Canon completely, and either getting the Sony RX10iv and/or going to the Pannys. I'm not a professional, though I have on occasion shot a wedding, I tend to think of myself as a photo enthusiast and I do make 16x20 prints on occasion.

By the way, I have an unused Canon SX50HS, I'm wondering if it would be OK for rowing.

I would not be adverse to getting a second camera for traveling, (the second being the pocketable Sony RX100V).

Sorry for being long-winded, here's a TL: DR quick recap:

Best camera/cameras for
1. travel (save on weight and fuss)
2. long-range lens for travel & rowing
3. still need low-light speed to shoot indoor women's volleyball (and some indoor travel documenting - bars, etc.)
4. decent/good IQ for occasional large prints

I am not adverse to keeping what I have either, maybe the 7D and 16-300 should be taken in for evaluation for repair.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/19/2017 07:49AM by Sam3.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: What about micro four-thirds?
Posted by: TheTominator
Date: October 19, 2017 07:46AM
Perhaps you are going about it the wrong way.

Maybe you should encourage your children to engage in a sport that is much easier to photograph.

What about chess?
Re: What about micro four-thirds? (Or, I may be suffering from new-cameraitis)
Posted by: DP
Date: October 19, 2017 08:45AM
7D+16-300 doesn't seem to quite cut it, the pictures always tend to be soft.

Not sure why this is. It sounds like you have your settings right, after all this time, but this shouldn't be an issue. It's easy to get blurred images if you're shooting action with the image stabilization on. It could be mistaken for "soft" images.

But, cameras are always getting better and we like new stuff! Go for it!

A throwback image to celebrate Autumn.

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Posted by: Uncle Wig
Date: October 19, 2017 01:10PM
The main function of M43 seems to be for its users to feel put-upon and defensive when their gear is compared to APS or full-frame slrs. Ok, I kid, kind of. But it seems to me that:

M43 stuff is exceedingly expensive for what you get.
Once you start putting any lens on an M43 body that's not a prime, the size advantage evaporates.

Posted by: Gareth
Date: October 19, 2017 01:40PM
Without know what settings you're using and what you actually like about the photos, it's hard to say. I will say that the 16-300mm is known to be soft at the long end, it's advantage as a superzoom is the wider short end (the Sigma 18-300mm is sharper at the telephoto end). The 7D II isn't the greatest sensor out there, but I think it should be getting you better results. Are you shooting in shutter priority?

If you shot with a 100-400mm on the 7D II, you might be happier with its results over the 16-300mm (Sigma has a nice, somewhat economical 100-400mm now, as opposed to the Canon 100-400mm II L lens).

But, if what you like from the 6D is the shallow depth of field, be aware that that will be more difficult to accomplish with M43. But you get a 2x multiplier with M43, so a 100-400mm will have 800mm equivalent as opposed to 640mm on the 7D II). Of course, the M43 100-400mm is an $1800 lens and also very large (but you still save a 1lb over the Canon).
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: October 19, 2017 01:54PM
I wonder about (1) softness of the lens, and (2) do you have image stabilization?

I'd rent a different lens and check out (1).
Posted by: Randalls
Date: October 19, 2017 01:54PM
Take the SX50 out and try some shots that would replicate the same conditions as rowing. Should be plenty of light even on the cloudy days. I like mine and for those super zoom shots it does well. Not saying it is the sharpest knife in the box but I am very happy with my wild life pix. Then if you get your long shots covered you can also carry the Sony RX100v in the pocket.
Posted by: Billybob
Date: October 19, 2017 02:25PM
Had a 7DMII and could never get good shots with it. It could be me, could be I missed a firmware update (or two), or it's just not a very good sensor.

Anyway, I dumped it and found myself with a lot of expensive Canon glass (including the 100-400mm L II) and no body. I picked up a 80D when a company was dumping them with rebate and printer for a net price under $900.

Much, much happier with the output.

So, I'd recommend upgrading your glass--I'm a fan of the Sigma 100-400mm C for an expensive, compact long tele zoom--and consider the 80D. You get better IQ with full frame, but unless you get close to the action, the extra "reach" that APS-C provides is appreciated.
Posted by: prymsnap
Date: October 20, 2017 07:31PM
I've been a Micro 4/3 user for about three years. After coming from Nikon crop frame, I'm very happy with the size/quality/cost ratio. Consider a used Olympus EM-10 or EM5 (not the most current versions) for amazing bang for the buck in a super small package. As with any system, lens investments are far more lasting and impactful. Oly's 12-40 is pricey but outstanding. However, it sounds like your needs might be better served by their newer 12-100. Keep in mind that the equivalent range would be 24-200. There are many other zooms available for the m4/3 mount but these two are my favorites. I have to disagree with Uncle Wig re. size issues: if you choose carefully you can keep your kit nice and compact. A terrific site for side-by-side configuration comparisons here: [camerasize.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 84
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020