advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Figured out why my wife's MBP screen was going dark
Posted by: GGD
Date: November 09, 2017 02:30PM
This morning my wife asked if computer bulbs can flicker like light bulbs, so I asked for more info. She told me that as she was typing the backlight would dim to full black and then come back on.

More to the story, she had surgery the other day on her left hand and it's wrapped in a bandage/cast and she has a sling that it hooks into on her chest to keep it elevated. She had it unhooked and was trying to use it a little when typing.

This is what she has: [www.elevatebraces.com]

I watched her type and saw it happening, and my first guess was that the "big hand" was casting a large shadow on the ambient light sensor and the screen brightness was adjusting.

I turned the brightness up all the way and it was still happening, and then it finally hit me about the real cause.

The part of the sling/brace that is attached to her wrist/hand hooks into the part on the chest with a magnetic latch. So there was a magnet on her wrist as she tried to type and that was activating the MBP sleep sensor making it think the cover was closed so it turned off the backlighting and then as she moved it more it thought the cover was open again and turned it back on.

It's a good feeling when you can fully explain weird behavior.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Figured out why my wife's MBP screen was going dark
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: November 09, 2017 02:32PM
Awesome case of unintended consequences ! Good job figuring that head scratcher out !
Posted by: OWC Larry
Date: November 09, 2017 02:37PM
Well done!

OWC Larry
Other World Computing
[www.macsales.com]
Posted by: nwyaker
Date: November 09, 2017 03:13PM
goodone
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: November 09, 2017 03:15PM
That's a good one. I had a user accidentally activate the voiceover feature. She wanted to know why her computer kept talking to her. It took me a while to figure out what key combo she hit because I didn't even know that VoiceOver existed until she brought her computer to me and it was talking.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: archipirata
Date: November 09, 2017 04:22PM

Athens, OH
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 152
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020