advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
One More Genius Bar...
Posted by: Billybob
Date: November 15, 2017 09:12AM
I mentioned last spring that I had been to Apple stores all over the country--Hartford, Bakersfield, Grand Central Station, and Orlando--trying to get my 2012 MBPr up and running (okay, the Orlando stop was an unsuccessful effort to get a 27" iMac serviced without paying for a new motherboard). The reason for my Apple Store "tourism" is because there is no Apple Store in my hometown, Gainesville, FL. So, for the past year, I've stopped by Genius bars when I travel to try to keep my aging laptop functioning.

The visits have been successful. In Hartford, they replaced the motherboard without charge; and in Bakersfield, they addressed a software problem (the "nuclear option"--they wiped the harddrive and installed a fresh system). Although that got the machine working, shortly after, my MBPr informed me that its battery was struggling. At GCS they confirmed that the battery was dying but that Apple would replace it, gratuit, if I waited until fall.

Well it's fall, and I am once again on the road. Accordingly, I stopped by the Palo Alto Apple store on Sunday(Coast to Coast visits! I should have stopped by the Chicago store when I was there this summer). Tuesday they told me it was ready (2 days!), so I'm sitting here typing away on what is essentially, with the exception of the screen, a new computer (I think that Apple's battery replacement requires replacing the laptop surface panel including the keyboard).

In sum, it's great to have a laptop that doesn't die after 20 minutes away from its power source. And most of all, it's great to have a clean computer!

Can I get a "Leader"!
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: One More Genius Bar...
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: November 15, 2017 09:44AM
One Piece Leader !

"I'd got it one piece at a time
And it didn't cost me a dime
You'll know it's me when I come through your town
I'm gonna ride around in style
I'm gonna drive everybody wild
Cuz I'll have the only one there is around"

[www.letssingit.com]
Posted by: Billybob
Date: November 15, 2017 11:03AM
cbelt3
One Piece Leader !

"I'd got it one piece at a time
And it didn't cost me a dime
You'll know it's me when I come through your town
I'm gonna ride around in style
I'm gonna drive everybody wild
Cuz I'll have the only one there is around"

[www.letssingit.com]

Yes, I'm a cheap son of a gun. Still wish I could have gotten that iMac repaired on the cheap, but I"m happy to get my MBP working again even though it was one piece at a time.

smiley-music039
Re: One More Bar...
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: November 15, 2017 12:22PM
....make mine a double......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/15/2017 12:22PM by NewtonMP2100.
Posted by: Onamuji
Date: November 15, 2017 06:01PM
Billybob
...so I'm sitting here typing away on what is essentially, with the exception of the screen, a new computer (I think that Apple's battery replacement requires replacing the laptop surface panel including the keyboard).

On a Retina MBP, it's the battery/topcase/trackpad/keyboard, yeah. One reason why it's so expensive out of warranty.

AppleCare Leader!!

Posted by: space-time
Date: November 15, 2017 08:43PM
Leader!!!

Onamuji
On a Retina MBP, it's the battery/topcase/trackpad/keyboard, yeah. One reason why it's so expensive out of warranty.

Sir Jony and his design choices...
Posted by: sekker
Date: November 15, 2017 09:31PM
Sounds a lot like my 2012 MBPr. It went in so many times to the shop, that in the end the had replaced the screen, Mobo (3x as I recall), keyboard and battery.

When Apple Care was over, I updated the SSD with an OWC 1TB.

It's still running fine, though not getting as much use as I started traveling heavily and wanted a smaller machine.
Posted by: Onamuji
Date: November 16, 2017 06:41AM
sekker
When Apple Care was over, I updated the SSD with an OWC 1TB.

Have you noticed any problems with excessive heat radiating from the bottom of your MBP or kernel panics after the upgrade?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 90
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020