advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Extinguisher Recall: Did you send the old one back with FedEx?
Posted by: GGD
Date: December 04, 2017 11:45PM
Just got my replacement extinguisher this afternoon, via FedEx Ground. Packed up the old one, and since I was going out anyway tried to drop it off at FedEx instead of calling for home pickup as directed in the letter.

The guy behind the counter was pretty familiar with it, and told me they couldn't take it and neither would the home pickup. He said that the place that takes it needs to have Hazmat suits, not sure if he meant that they needed to be wearing them or just needed them available. He said that there were all sorts of emails going around at FedEx about this issue.

I did point out the fire extinguisher mounted on the wall just behind him, and that nobody is taking special precautions around it. He said that I would need to take it to the FedEx depot in the next town over, and they could take it. I didn't have time so I brought it home.

It all seems to be related to this hazmat label on the package, it was there when shipped to me and the instructions say not to remove it.

I'll probably start by calling Kidde and / or FedEx in the morning to see what they really want me to do with the old one.

Has anyone else gone through the return process to completion?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Extinguisher Recall: Did you send the old one back with FedEx?
Posted by: Racer X
Date: December 05, 2017 12:21AM
First off, it is a pressurized container containing a chemical. Yes, we all know it is innocuous, but federal laws/rules/regs DO apply.
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: December 05, 2017 07:43AM
I haven’t returned it yet. I’m not sure which one it is supposed to replace. It’s between sizes for both of the ones they’re supposed to replace. I’m assuming the other one is still coming.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: December 05, 2017 09:52AM
....what about the hunky firemen calendar.....that benefits charity........??

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: nwyaker
Date: December 05, 2017 11:34AM
Scheduled a FedEx Ground return for tomorrow according to furnished directions. No problems encountered.
Date: December 05, 2017 01:39PM
nwyaker
Scheduled a FedEx Ground return for tomorrow according to furnished directions. No problems encountered.

I just called FedEx following the directions from Kidde and scheduled a pickup, I made certain that they understood that it has that black/white label on it and that it was a fire extinguisher. They said it will be picked up tomorrow from my front door.

We shall see.

One thing that was a bit surprising was that FedEx asked me for all of my contact info after I gave them the tracking number, even though it's all pre-printed on the FedEx label.
Posted by: billb
Date: December 05, 2017 04:47PM
Hazmat suits. LOL.

The sticker is so the package doesn't end up on a plane by mistake.
It might have to be on a manifest for fire department.
It's just DOT regs.
You have to identify a bunch of materials and objects for shipping.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Date: December 05, 2017 10:18PM
Found another person's similar experience, although no mention of Hazmat suits, but was told that the fire extinguishers are FLAMMABLE.

[www.ingunowners.com]

I just got off the phone with Kidde, because I have MANY to be replaced. All were on the recall list. She said the new units all come with FedEx return shipping tags. She said that I will need to call FedEx and have them arrange a pick-up, since you cannot drop them off at a FedEx drop off locacation "since they are FLAMMABLE"!!!! I told her that I had never heard if a flammable fire extinguisher, and did she possibly mean "pressurized"? After dead silence on the phone, she finally said "I guess". So, don't expect to play/train with your old extinguishers, and be careful with them, as they might be flammable, lol.
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: December 06, 2017 12:52PM
Pickup from home per their instructions worked fine.

Now wondering if they'll "forget" they owe me 2 more.
Date: December 07, 2017 12:27AM
FedEx picked up mine from my front door today as scheduled, although they waited until 5:45 PM to do it, I had almost given up.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 156
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020