advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Anway to bring store receipts into computer?
Posted by: Dakota
Date: December 26, 2006 01:00PM
I am not fond of OCR technology that works with scanners. Can the bar code that stores use for returns be used by us too?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Anway to bring store receipts into computer?
Posted by: elmo3
Date: December 26, 2006 01:33PM
Ummmm........wouldn't those bar codes be specific to that retailer's point of sale system, and not universal across retailers?

I'm pretty sure Wal Mart's bar code is way different than Target's for any given receipt with the identical goods bought at the identical time on the identical day.

What are you trying to accomplish?

---------------

In the words of DharmaDog: "it may or may not be utter horse@#$%&, but it shouldn't be dismissed simply because it doesn't agree with your opinion."

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Trying is the first step to failure. -- Homer Simpson
Date: December 26, 2006 02:12PM
I suppose you are right about the bar codes. Trying to keep track of expenses. Have seen "receipt scanners" but don't know how good they are.
Posted by: Jem
Date: December 26, 2006 02:43PM
I would think that Elmo is correct in that a bar code for a receipt would be a ID only for the transaction record. When scanned at the store, the receipt bar code would then connect to a database and provide the specifics (prices, items, etc.) of that transaction.

No actual info about the transaction is stored in the bar code.
Posted by: Blurb
Date: December 26, 2006 02:55PM
Along these lines, is there any good program for organizing scanned receipts for Mac OS X? The only receipt scanners (primarily Neat Receipts) I've seen typically have proprietary scanners, and only state they are for PC's and MS 2000 or XP. Surely there is something for our OS already developed.... right?
Posted by: chas_m
Date: December 26, 2006 03:47PM
Here ya go:

[www.receiptwallet.com]

chas_m

[crawlingfromtheusa.blogspot.com] <-- Moving to Canada blog
Date: December 26, 2006 04:20PM
The way I read receipt wallet you still have to enter store name, amount and bunch of other things manually. The software just links this information and the image of the receipt.
Posted by: JEBB
Date: December 27, 2006 09:20AM
Consider the amount of effort you might expend for the alternative approaches to your receipt problem.

I've always entered the date and dollar amount in various Quicken registers (accounts) depending on how I paid for it. Then I file the receipts chronologically in account receipt collections. The amount of effort I've expended looking for the few receipts when needed in those paper collections has been far less than I would have expended scanning the entire collection of receipts. Your results may vary.
Posted by: Jem
Date: December 27, 2006 11:10AM
JEBB
Consider the amount of effort you might expend for the alternative approaches to your receipt problem.

I've always entered the date and dollar amount in various Quicken registers (accounts) depending on how I paid for it. Then I file the receipts chronologically in account receipt collections. The amount of effort I've expended looking for the few receipts when needed in those paper collections has been far less than I would have expended scanning the entire collection of receipts. Your results may vary.

That's a great point. Sometimes the hi-tech solution creates more headaches than it solves. It seems like it should help... but in a real-life application the managment issues eat up all the benefits and "saved time" of doing it electronically. Sometimes a well thought out low(er)-tech solution like the one you suggest is the best "happy medium." (So to speak!)
Posted by: SteveJobs
Date: December 27, 2006 11:50AM
that's what we do.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 100
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020