advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Airport 802.1g compatible PCI cards...?
Posted by: viaripatti
Date: December 27, 2006 12:04PM
I recently bought one of those eBay airport Xtreme PCI cards and it works perfectly. I just plugged it in and turned airport on; it found my wirless SBC global issued wireless router and had amazing gain from an upstairs bedroom. The old airport stock card in my G4 could not connect from this area of the house AND was dog slow when I'd move the machine to where it could connect.

At the time I paid about $53 to my door. Now I see that this same keeps going higher in price. So I started looking around for other brands that may work also and require no drivers like this card. the Xlr8yourmac.com site claimed to have a list of those cards but the link was dead.

Does anyone else have the list of PCI Airport compatible cards that will work with NO drivers required and a great antenna like this card:
[cgi.ebay.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Airport 802.1g compatible PCI cards...?
Posted by: jdc
Date: December 27, 2006 12:10PM
there was a post on the other forum that had one, pretty cheap if i remember right..

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: The Grim Ninja
Date: December 27, 2006 12:11PM
[www.macwiki.net]
Posted by: viaripatti
Date: December 27, 2006 12:48PM
Thanks for the responses. That Office Max link at the bottom of the Mac compatible page looks like it has a very radical antenna for exceptional gain. It costs more than the guy's listings on eBay but that longer antenna may well be worth it.

The reason that I started this thread was to obtain an airport extreme card for my cousin who lives right on the Idaho side of the Canadian border and has "free" open wireless possibilities from the US border patrol which is 400 feet away and a local store 200 feet away, which also has an open network. Meanwhile, she is dealing with crappy dialup internet. I left her a digital audio G4 and am wanting to get her on free and fast wireless internet. We've already seen that her signal was strong enough because an iBook was able to connect at her house...so this card with it's radical antenna should work:

[www.officedepot.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/27/2006 12:48PM by viaripatti.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: December 27, 2006 02:30PM
the way her machine is placed in her place is a big part of the signal. Since it has an external antenna, you may even be able to get an extension cable, and mount it higher, and maybe on a window ledge. Thats one less wall (or 3)
Posted by: ArtP
Date: December 27, 2006 06:51PM
viaripatti
At the time I paid about $53 to my door. Now I see that this same keeps going higher in price. So I started looking around for other brands that may work also and require no drivers like this card. the Xlr8yourmac.com site claimed to have a list of those cards but the link was dead.

Does anyone else have the list of PCI Airport compatible cards that will work ....

Here's an active archive of the dead link at xlr8yourmac:

[themichiganapple.com]

Look for the ones that say Airport or Broadcom.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 193
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020