advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Furnace Filter - dumb question time!
Posted by: AlphaDog
Date: December 27, 2006 03:05PM
It was (past) time to change the furnace filters, so I bought the news ones when I was out. I replaced them, putting them in facing the same direction as the dirty ones I removed. And then I got to wondering which way they should go. Since I'm the one who replaced them the last time, too - and the time before that, I only assumed I was doing it right. It makes sense to me, logically, but who am I to know how a furnace thinks?

So, the filters fit in a narrow tray-like bracket above the firebox (or whatever you call the part where the gas burns and the heat is generated) and then flare out in a 'v' shape. It appears they are designed to filter the air as it returns to the furnace through the cold air return, so I put the filters in with the "right" side facing up, so the air hits it first.

Is this correct?!

All I do is copy from the last time, and if they ever got reversed, well... smiling smiley
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Furnace Filter - dumb question time!
Posted by: threeprong
Date: December 27, 2006 03:12PM
On the side of most all filters there is a black triangle or a "Air Flow and arrow".

Hope that helps.

3p
Posted by: Racer X
Date: December 27, 2006 03:15PM
Just about every filter I have seen is marked. And yes, you filter the return air, or air intake. That keeps the furnace burner mechanism and fan motor clean (and you aren't burning dusty air, which will really smell)
Posted by: AlphaDog
Date: December 27, 2006 03:29PM
OK, I did it right.

I saw the "air flow" marking, but that's only useful if you're sure about the direction of the airflow. smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/27/2006 03:29PM by AlphaDog.
Posted by: elahon
Date: December 27, 2006 05:38PM
I guess the next dumb question (for me at least) is what is the direction of the airflow? I changed my filter too recently. Ack!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/27/2006 05:40PM by elahon.
Posted by: particleman
Date: December 27, 2006 05:49PM
In my furnace the heated air comes out on top and the return air enters through the side panel near the floor. I have a renewable filter with a cross section that looks like this bracket: ]

My air flow is

^ Heated air
|
|
Furnace ] <----- Return Air

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/27/2006 05:51PM by particleman.
Posted by: DP
Date: December 27, 2006 07:31PM
On a filter note, I had been buying Filtrete filters and then found Filtrete knockoffs for a lot less money. After some time, I ran out of filters and in a pinch used a leftover fiberglass filter and since then I've noticed no difference in the dust that accumulates in the house. We don't have asthma or allergies so the bottom line is that I'm just staying with the cheap old fiberglass type.
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: December 27, 2006 07:46PM
One other thing to remember about pleated type filters is that they restrict airflow. I talked to
several techs about this and all are recommending that you use the reg. old style filters and run
a house-type air purifier if dust is a big problem. My brother was the HVAC dept. head at a
large Comm. College, now retired, he also switched back to the regular filters after running
a test on airflow. The new efficient heat pumps need a lot of airflow to make them work
right.

Grateful11
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 147
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020